two questions that i need help with.

sidewinder

while out hunting this morning i had two questions pop into my brain.

question 1 i can not find this particular reg but it is my understanding that if you shoot and take a buck that part of the buck (genitallia) sry about the spelling but i did not want to get to graphic...... anyhow part of that buck must remain with the carcass. my question is this... if you have to quarter your buck out to make trasportation out of the woods possible what do you do with the evidence that it is truly a buck?

question 2. several post here have stated that i am in the wrong for carrying a loaded firearm while in the wood's/field before or after legal shooting light. i have tried finding the answers to both questions and i am currently waiting for a reply from dec but i was just wondering if any other hunters here knew about these questions? thanks.

Question 1. I honestly have no clue lol.

Question 2. I know it's illegal to carry in and out a loaded gun before light.. BUT.. I personally just hold my loaded clip for my rifle in my front pocket so if I really needed to shoot I could quickly load my firearm while still keeping it..{ By the book }.. But I have never heard of a yote or anything much for that matter bothering a hunter.

Used to be a reg. requiring leaving evidence of sex on the carcass....Not so anymore: deer are either legal antlered...or anterless.

Perfectly legal to carry loaded gun into the woods before legal deer shooting time. Coyotes are in season and can be hunted at night.

#1- if you have to cut your deer you have to put your tag number with all information who you are where when it was taken on a separate pice of paper and attach it to the pices

#2- you are not suppose to carry a gun loaed befor or after but if you know there coyotes or bear around you can

papabear

ok i guess i got my questiones answered.... to question 1 if the head is seperate from the body then YES PROOF OF SEX MUST REMAIN WITH THE CARCASS. question number 2 was really grey when given the answer. according to dec you ARE NOT ALLOWED to be in possesion of a loaded fire arm bow/gun/muzzel loader while afield before or after legal hours. HOWEVER you can have said firearm in your possesion if you are pursuing coyotes or if you have coyotes or bears in your area of hunting. if you are found in possesion of a loaded firearm it is at the discression of the officer to take further action..........

so i guess im good to go. keep the head with the 1/4"s and dont shoot nothing until the legal hour of hunting or after the legal hour.

as a side thought while on the phone i asked about the legal hours as far as sunrise and sunset.......... as was explained to me even your local news channel has a sunrise /sunset time and dec accepts that. they will also accept that you need to addjust with a plus or minus 3 min depending on where in ny you are hunting.......for you guys closer to the big pond your golden.........for those that are over near BUFFALO....ya got a few more min to wait in the am but you get it back in the pm for those afternoon hunts.

thanks to all with your replies.

according to dec you ARE NOT ALLOWED to be in possesion of a loaded fire arm bow/gun/muzzel loader while afield before or after legal hours. HOWEVER you can have said firearm in your possesion if you are pursuing coyotes or if you have coyotes or bears in your area of hunting. if you are found in possesion of a loaded firearm it is at the discression of the officer to take further action..........

Well, there's that word "discretion" again. It shows up a lot in these kinds of discussions and official answers. Tell me, how are you supposed to protect yourself against "officer discretion"? Does it involve some form of mind-reading? LOL .... look that term "discretion" up in the dictionary. It basicly means that you are completely at his mercy or in other words, pretty well screwed if he happens to be in a bad mood or looking for something to hang on you.

And then too, what difference does the fact that you have "coyotes or bears in the area" have to do with laws about loaded guns after dark? Is that something to do with self-protection? I swear these guys at the DEC make it up as they go ..... lol. Whenever I ask the DEC about laws, e-mail is the only way that I feel safe. Having written legal descriptions at least gives me something that shows what I was told and the fact that I did inquire. I wonder how you would make out if you asked them to quote the exact passage in exact words out of the law books.

There is no regulation or law that says your gun cannot be loaded before or after dark. There is no debate about it, it is 100% legal. It is only illegal to actively hunt or shoot deer before or after legal times.

If you want to prove me wrong on this, by all means, provide a link to a NYS law or DEC regulation that shows it. I wont hold my breath, because no such law or regulation exists.

As far as proof of sex goes, you do have to leave the genitalia intact IF you transport the carcass without its head for any reason. See the transportation section at this link...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

• Like 1

Read page 51 of this years hunting regulations book.. "hunting furbearers at night". If you are crouched next to a tree grunting or some crap an hour before sunrise with a loaded gun, yea, thats where discretion comes in. If you wait in the woods for an extra hour or two in hopes to take a yote, skunk, opossum, or fox, thats a bit different. Completely legal.

Edited by BlasterMaster42

1st...this coyote talk is nonsense...because you can NOT hunt coyotes at dark with SLUGS it is against the law

2nd...leaving the genitalia attached is a crock to means nothing....a button buck has genitalia....but is not a legale antlered deer

there is no law telling you when you can load your gun...plain and simple....only don't have it loaded in your truck

Furbearer Hunting at Night

You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

• You may use a light, but you may not hunt from any motor vehicle, including an ATV. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.
  • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed below.
  • You may use any handgun or bow.
  • You may use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).

1st...this coyote talk is nonsense...because you can NOT hunt coyotes at dark with SLUGS it is against the law

2nd...leaving the genitalia attached is a crock to means nothing....a button buck has genitalia....but is not a legale antlered deer

there is no law telling you when you can load your gun...plain and simple....only don't have it loaded in your truck

• You may use a light, but you may not hunt from any motor vehicle, including an ATV. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.
  • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed below.

along with centerfire rifles in areas where rifles are allowed for deer

post-2740-0-47535000-1353856531_thumb.jp

Read page 51 of this years hunting regulations book.. "hunting furbearers at night". If you are crouched next to a tree grunting or some crap an hour before sunrise with a loaded gun, yea, thats where discretion comes in. If you wait in the woods for an extra hour or two in hopes to take a yote, skunk, opossum, or fox, thats a bit different. Completely legal.

Right, you just cant be actively hunting deer, or shooting them. I could sit in my stand or next to a tree all night with my gun loaded if I wanted to though.

where does it say no slugs?

• Like 1

But says nothing about not being able to use it except

The Northern Zone prohibits the use or possession of slug, buckshot or ball ammunition with shotguns when hunting with a dog

It doesn;t say shot only anywhere, show me where I'm wrong

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

i don't understand where you come up with this....when it says very simply....shot only

please show me where i'm wrong......

Nowhere in what you posted does it say "shot only". What you posted is simply stating that you can use shotguns to hunt furbearers at night with any shot size...

That dosent say "shot only", "no slugs", or anything to that affect...

• Like 1