license fade

Birdhunter

In August, I received my 2010-2011 lifetime resident sportsman license, along with my bowhunting, muzzleloading, fall/spring turkey and 2 DMP tags. I signed the backs and put them away in my folding plastic carrying case, as I have done in the past.

Today I went to Fahnestock State park to get a bowhunting permit and when I pulled my license out it, along with all of my other tags, were very severely faded. They did not get wet or were exposed to sunlight. They were put in the carrying case and then in a zip lock bag and put in my console of my car so that it would be with me when I hunt.

Is anyone else having this problem?

No, they aren't turning black, the ink is coming off. I looked at them more carefully and it looks like the ink on the backs of the tags are rubbing what's printed on the front off.

I have a call in to DEC to see if I can get replacements without having to pay for them because they are not lost, they are just not really readable. Probably a good money making scam by them by using crappy ink....

I wonder if the ink is water-soluble. Perhaps moisture from sweat, atmosphere or other sources is disolving the ink.

My guess is that the printers used for licenses are ink printers just like mine here at home. And the ink is water-soluble.

No fooling ! Just look at the DMV Registration Stickers that don't stick ! Cheap glue .....

Isn't that amazing! I had to use scotch tape to keep mine from blowing out the window. Wait until that sucker has to be taken off. It'll be part of the window.

Doc

I haven't even looked at my tags since I got them but I will now. I would keep them out of the car for now, that may have something to do with it, the heat and the moisture.

This is off memory, butt he backer of the tag should and possible portions of the front may have been printed with "ink" but for the most part the front of the tags are imaged by heat (that is why they tell you watch it by fire), there is no ink. If the head of the printer isn't hot enough, the "burn" doesn't get deep enough into the paper and the image will start to fade. It also depends on the chemicals used in the sustrate (our tags are not paper)...it may have too much of a coating.

I haven't even looked at my tags since I got them but I will now. I would keep them out of the car for now, that may have something to do with it, the heat and the moisture.

This is off memory, butt he backer of the tag should and possible portions of the front may have been printed with "ink" but for the most part the front of the tags are imaged by heat (that is why they tell you watch it by fire), there is no ink. If the head of the printer isn't hot enough, the "burn" doesn't get deep enough into the paper and the image will start to fade. It also depends on the chemicals used in the sustrate (our tags are not paper)...it may have too much of a coating.

Correct. There is no ink on the licenses unless they changed them this year. I am looking at mine from last year as we speak and there are spots where the green is no longer on the paper, but the letters/numbers are still there. There may be faulty coatings on this year's paper.

Here is an explanation of how thermal printers work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_printer

Here is an update on my issue. Someone from the state wrote to me and said that they have not had anyone else have this problem, but they said that if I mail my tags back to them, they will replace them for me....at no cost.

It's good to see that some places still do the right thing by their customers.