New to reloading

josephmrtn

you MIGHT be able too but i snapped the deprime pin COMPLETLY off even with the base (it sticks out of the base of the full length resizer) but it looks to me like its machined out of solid steel... i might need to get better pics.... but if you look at the one pic i posted i drew a red line extending out from where the depriming pin used to be (the pic is upside down) my original question was: do i need that pin? why couldnt i deprime with the neck resizer? also you mentioned i only should use the full length one... can you tell me why? it looks like im supposed to use both in the instructions...

You need a pin to knock out the spent primer while resizing. You don't want to over work your brass by running it through both dies. The neck only sizes the neck. (Amazing) The fl will do the entire piece of brass if set up that way. You really only want to bump the shoulder back a bit, per your chamber your loading for.

ok well i just went to the LEE website and ordered a new one... ya cant beat three bucks!

http://leeprecision....0-cal-long.html

EDIT my order wont go thru... also WHERE on earth can i find large rifle primers?!?!?! Cabelas and midway usa are both out of stock and midway even says no backorder..... i HAVE to have powder and primers if i wanna reload!!!! powder is really scarce too but is easier to find....

EDIT

NO ITS NOT!!!!!!!!! i cant find H4350 powder in stock ANYWHERE!!!! they do still have H4895....

Edited by josephmrtn

You need a pin to knock out the spent primer while resizing. You don't want to over work your brass by running it through both dies. The neck only sizes the neck. (Amazing) The fl will do the entire piece of brass if set up that way. You really only want to bump the shoulder back a bit, per your chamber your loading for.

would it work to ONLY use the neck resizer? i cant get my order to go thru w LEE

I screwed up a pin on one of my dies . I called Lee and they express shipped another pin to me free of charge .

If you use the Full Length Die , you need to lube the cases . Not so with the neck sizing dies . I bought the crimping dies but they aren't really necessary .

I'm not saying you don't know what to do yet but this is a pretty good read that helped me (and I'm still learning after 20+ years) to figure out setting up the FL die...........

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2009/02/19/setting-up-a-full-length-sizing-die/

I've had it bookmarked for a few years. It may be a bit too deep for you now but it can't hurt to devour as much as you can!

If you bought brass that was fired in someone else's rifle , you would want to use the full length die as the brass would conform to the chamber of the fired rifle .

ok well in 30-06 (the one i broke) that should not be a prob 270 win there are two guys im gonna reload for so i cant guaranty that i wont just mix all there cases up... and my 308 i will prob look for once fired brass for it.....

While you are waiting for the components , read the reloading manual ! Don't rush into reloading without a better understanding of what you are getting into and what to do .

Something you can do with the brass that you will be reloading for the two guys is run a couple pieces of brass through the regular sizing die and have each one see if the unloaded brass will chamber in their rifles . You might get lucky .

Make sure the reloads you do work and are okay before you reload for someone else .

The write-up Lawdwaz posted mentions that Full Length sizing may not be necessary until after a few firings . At that point you would also want to check the brass for wear and tear and check the case length for stretching .

I never neck sized anything and a few guys I know that shoot WAY more and much better than me don't either. As long as you don't work the brass too much, just a bump, a FL die should be good.

Like you mentioned, if Joseph is going to be loading for friends (I would strongly advise against this for a beginner) I think your going to have to use a FL die for sure.

• Like 1