Mountain Lion in NY

AaronBlaine

WNYBuckHunte

Nope,

Not a bobcat. Long thick tail that does not taper. Got a good look indeed. What a presumptuous __- you are to think you know what I saw. I know you weren't traveling 7-mph--you were not there at all! I wasn't traveling 70 mph either. Funny how someone like you would feel more comfortable saying it was an elephant in drag or that I was hallucinating then it is for you to accept that it likely was exactly how I described it. Long thick tail. Redish/tan/orange with black markings on round face. Those were the most obvious and clearly viewed features. come on now. Tell me what I saw. Let me know what has a long thick tail, cat features, round face with dark lines/markings. That was what I saw. If you come up with something else that matches those features....cool.

Was most likely a mountain lion. The mountain lion found in a NY apartment happened once-- around 2003-approximately 9 years ago. The ml in CT was about 16 months ago. There are quite a few ML in captivity in zoos and places like Paws and Claws (which I know is in PA-but I said "LIKE"). There are not a lot of mountain lions being raised as pets in people's homes. There are not a lot of Mountain lions raised and then let loose when they become too much for the people raising them. What makes me think you work for some state or federal agency? Just wondering. You'll are eating your words. How do they taste?

3 to 4 times the size of a house cat.........................yeah I grea up with one of those as a kid.........................it was a 23lb maine coon cat..................................

while shopping for a rifle case I was in a sports store near pauling NY, I had joked about my luck on a upcoming trip to AZ that I would call in a mountain lion, and get mauled by it...............the shop owner was like ' hey a couple of my customers saw a dead mountain lion down on rt22 in armonk.." I asked if they were fisherman and he said yeah they were buying bait to go fish kensico reservoir....................then I said, well then, that cougar was a roadkill bobcat, and he looked at me like I didnt know what I was talking about...........................then I showed him the skin that I got from it :)

Im sure no one is going to believe me either. but I have honestly seen a mountain lion in person in NY. It was rather and early morning and I was pretty tired and had big baggy eyes Im sure but I know what I saw regardless. I was making coffee and kept seeing glimpses of something outside as I walked past the window but just couldnt tell exactly what it was. Since it was a really warm day I decided to sit outside on the porch and enjoy my coffee. Then I seen a glimpse of something rather large and orangish in color, not enough to identify it but it certainly raised my curiosity a bit. After about 2 cups of coffee the darn thing appeared and I tell you guys what it was no houscat, not a bob cat either. It had distinct markings of a lion had that long tail unlike a bobcat as well. Black markings on its face. I text the wifey who was still sleeping to tell her to get the camera and look out the kitchen window and take a picture. Thankfully she was able to get the photo and I have not shared it with anyone. Well until know, I was rather shy about showing it to anyone in fear of getting bashed that it as a hoax of sorts. Give me a minute and I will see if I can upload it of the laptop and share it here. I fully expect to take a beating on this but since no one has shown any proof with a phot I guess I need to put this topic to bed once and for all. Hold on picture on the way.

........Sorry couldnt resist LOL

post-1162-0-86446100-1355464642.gif

Edited by wdswtr

Im sure no one is going to believe me either. but I have honestly seen a mountain lion in person in NY. It was rather and early morning and I was pretty tired and had big baggy eyes Im sure but I know what I saw regardless. I was making coffee and kept seeing glimpses of something outside as I walked past the window but just couldnt tell exactly what it was. Since it was a really warm day I decided to sit outside on the porch and enjoy my coffee. Then I seen a glimpse of something rather large and orangish in color, not enough to identify it but it certainly raised my curiosity a bit. After about 2 cups of coffee the darn thing appeared and I tell you guys what it was no houscat, not a bob cat either. It had distinct markings of a lion had that long tail unlike a bobcat as well. Black markings on its face. I text the wifey who was still sleeping to tell her to get the camera and look out the kitchen window and take a picture. Thankfully she was able to get the photo and I have not shared it with anyone. Well until know, I was rather shy about showing it to anyone in fear of getting bashed that it as a hoax of sorts. Give me a minute and I will see if I can upload it of the laptop and share it here. I fully expect to take a beating on this but since no one has shown any proof with a phot I guess I need to put this topic to bed once and for all. Hold on picture on the way.

Okay John might be right I want to change my picture a bit

post-1162-0-89968800-1355466423.gif

WNYBuckHunte

Nope,

Not a bobcat. Long thick tail that does not taper. Got a good look indeed. What a presumptuous __- you are to think you know what I saw. I know you weren't traveling 7-mph--you were not there at all! I wasn't traveling 70 mph either. Funny how someone like you would feel more comfortable saying it was an elephant in drag or that I was hallucinating then it is for you to accept that it likely was exactly how I described it. Long thick tail. Redish/tan/orange with black markings on round face. Those were the most obvious and clearly viewed features. come on now. Tell me what I saw. Let me know what has a long thick tail, cat features, round face with dark lines/markings. That was what I saw. If you come up with something else that matches those features....cool.

Was most likely a mountain lion. The mountain lion found in a NY apartment happened once-- around 2003-approximately 9 years ago. The ml in CT was about 16 months ago. There are quite a few ML in captivity in zoos and places like Paws and Claws (which I know is in PA-but I said "LIKE"). There are not a lot of mountain lions being raised as pets in people's homes. There are not a lot of Mountain lions raised and then let loose when they become too much for the people raising them. What makes me think you work for some state or federal agency? Just wondering. You'll are eating your words. How do they taste?

So first you call ME a presumptuous ___ (probably ass), and then you follow that up with a bunch of presumption and nonsense. You yourself said....

I am also not a big nature person. I don't go out of my way to spot wildlife. I did not know a thing about mountain lions or any other large cats-nor did I know there was any controversy about them- a year ago

....so what makes you an expert on identifying any animal while you are traveling at highway speeds? Mountain Lions are much larger than "3 to 4 times the size of a housecat", as you described it as. Yes, there are Mountain Lions in private collections in NY. I never said they were in peoples homes, you are supposed to have permits, etc to keep them.

I dont work for any state agency, BTW, and you sir, should look in the mirror before you start throwing out names and insults. If you were any good at doing your research, you would clearly see there is no breeding, wild population of Mountian Lions East of the Mississippi, besides in Florida and Georgia.

We were driving home last month on route 17 between Hancock and Roscoe and on the side of the road eating a deer carcass was a huge coyote and when I turned around to look as we past it I swear it looked like a WOLF..yea i know i'm nuts. My buddy who was driving didn't get as good a look at it so he's going with coyote but I still think I saw a wolf.

We were driving home last month on route 17 between Hancock and Roscoe and on the side of the road eating a deer carcass was a huge coyote and when I turned around to look as we past it I swear it looked like a WOLF..yea i know i'm nuts. My buddy who was driving didn't get as good a look at it so he's going with coyote but I still think I saw a wolf.

your not nuts. my fil saw a big azz coyote last spring. he said it was about the size of a german shepard. but then again, hes not all there. lol

Coyotes around 50lbs are not uncommon in NY. You saw a big coyote, not a wolf.

I wish people went to google, then images, and type things in like "Big Coyote", "Big Bobcat", "Wolf", "Mountain Lion", etc. Then you will be more knowledgeable about these animals and realize coyotes can be 50lbs, Bobcats can be 40lbs, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

yea i dunno if you have ever seen finding bigfoot show before. Bunch of bums bumbling around in the woods constantly repeating..."i think there's a squatch in theses woods" what i would pay to watch big foot come down out of the trees with the trunk of a tree clenched in its big fists as it baseball bats the fat guys f in head off into the woods only to find a fresh bag of beef jerkey upon his corpse

• 2 weeks later...

The oddest thing about these threads is the presumption by so many people that others are motivated to lie about seeing a mountain lion is worth a second of time. Who would lie and why? What possible motive would they have. Oh, or are you one of those who believes the public is just ever so confusing and so they hallucinate? I saw a dead mountain lion on the side of the highway on I-81 in Nov 2011. I will never foget it. I have no reason to lie. I am a researcher. I am used to recording observations. I have no reason to lie. I'm not claiming I found a pot of gold and someone took it-so I want it back. I'm not claiming that somebody else hit my car and ran (perhaps to avoid rise in car insurance). There are loads of things that people have reason to lie about but I can't think of anything gained by lying about whether or not you saw a mountain lion in the woods. Nowadays you don't hear people accusing others of lying in Missouri and the DEC is notably restrained there now. Why? Because the cameras mounted in the woods(ostensibly to track deer) are recording images of mountain lions. The officials were also quiet in CT and Lake George. After the cat was killed in CT, I called the officials in Lake George who had, up to that point, denied the Lake George sightings. If you have ever been to Lake George you know the people there are not prone to exaggeration or wild imagination. If they were, it would be the destination as a tourist site instead of being economically depressed. No, by and large, they are generally down to earth sensible people. So, after the Ct slaughter of the ghost mountain lion, the officials near Lake George admitted that they had collected evidence of a mountain but had not analyzed it. Instead, they denied the sightings without letting the public know that they had analyzable data but had failed to bother. Had the cat not been hit in CT, they never would have analyzed the data-something they admitted to me (too much backlog). Once they had denied the sightings in Lake George and had the dead mountain lion from CT, they admitted a mountain lion had traveled through Lake George. Notice in their quotes, however, they have failed to be explicit. The cat was similar to the one killed in CT but was it the same cat? They have the material to analyze and probably have the answer but they have not answered that question. My guess-no. They were not the same cat. They were both similar to ones the have been seen in the Dakotas but they were not the same cat. In sum, I don't think there is a compelling reason for the lay public to lie about sightings nor is everyone confused about the differences between mountain lions and bob cats.

The only people reliably found to be deceptive are the officials paid for by state or federal tax dollars.

"If they were, it would be the destination as a tourist site instead of being economically depressed. No, by and large, they are generally down to earth sensible people. So, after the Ct slaughter of the ghost mountain lion, the officials near Lake George admitted that they had collected evidence of a mountain but had not analyzed it. Instead, they denied the sightings without letting the public know that they had analyzable data but had failed to bother"

You do realize Lake George is a toursit town and not hurting for money right? It is also filled with loons just like anywhere else.

And the DEC acknowledged that the cat had gone through the area not "town officials".