Mountain Lion in NY

AaronBlaine

Hey guys a friend of mine said he has a "mountain lion" on his property! As far as i know there were over hunted and forced into extinction in ny years ago. Has anyone ever spotted a true mountain lion in ny? Do they still exist? Or was this just a big old bob cat?....meeoowwww

I wouldn’t be that quick to doubt that they do or can exist in NYS. Last year one was killed by a car in Greenwich CT. It was proven that it did walk through NYS to CT. It was a WILD cat…no ones pet.

See link… http://greenwich.patch.com/articles/connecticut-mountain-lion-traveled-from-south-dakota.

It came from SD. So as of last year ….YES Virginia NYS had a least 1 mountain loin.

I have hunted Duchess County for nearly 25 years, and many of the farmers swear that they have seen mountain lions these farmers have no reason to lie and know their land quite well. I’ve never seen one, but I hope they do exist or migrate back.

Lastly, 30 years ago when I took hunting education, I was told by the NYS DEC folks that Coyote did not NYS. The old timers (father, uncles, and farmers) at that time all knew Coyotes were in the state, but NYS DEC always stated that they didn’t.

Maybe in 10 years or so, more lions will been seen. But at least 1 was here. Might be more

I wouldn’t be that quick to doubt that they do or can exist in NYS. Last year one was killed by a car in Greenwich CT. It was proven that it did walk through NYS to CT. It was a WILD cat…no ones pet.

See link… http://greenwich.patch.com/articles/connecticut-mountain-lion-traveled-from-south-dakota.

It came from SD. So as of last year ….YES Virginia NYS had a least 1 mountain loin.

I have hunted Duchess County for nearly 25 years, and many of the farmers swear that they have seen mountain lions these farmers have no reason to lie and know their land quite well. I’ve never seen one, but I hope they do exist or migrate back.

Lastly, 30 years ago when I took hunting education, I was told by the NYS DEC folks that Coyote did not NYS. The old timers (father, uncles, and farmers) at that time all knew Coyotes were in the state, but NYS DEC always stated that they didn’t.

Maybe in 10 years or so, more lions will been seen. But at least 1 was here. Might be more

Nobody discounts that. Heres the kicker though, the one time there actually was one in NY, it was well documented, unlike the plethora of claims that happen every year.

• Like 2

one did show up. it go killed by a car. READ the articles. It was a wandering animal...not a part of a resident population

http://abcnews.go.com/US/conn-mountain-lion-made-long-journey-south-dakota/story?id=14169829

http://greenwich.patch.com/articles/connecticut-mountain-lion-traveled-from-south-dakota.

I'm not saying that there is breeding population in NYS. but at least 1 walked through our state

Does Biz-R-O's mount count as a "Mountain Lion in NY"???

Haha, of course.

To the OP, unless you got a pic dont bother with starting a topic about it. Have your buddy do some googling. Try "Mountain Lion" , then try "coyote" and "bobcat". He will soon realize what he saw was NOT A MOUNTAIN LION!

7 foot, 100lb+ lions don't go un-noticed.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Has anyone ever spotted a true mountain lion in ny?really 1.gif

Yes, there are a few in New York state. I have seem two and I know of others that have seen then. Yes some of the land owner know they are on there land and some have pictures to prove it, but like every thing else they don't say much because other people bad mouth then and tell then they are seeing things and ask them what they are smoking. Just because you have never seen one does not mean they are not here. .There are some people if you tell then there are bear around ,they look at you like you are crazy, same with cat fishers.

Fishers have been well documented, same with moose, etc. Sorry, but with ALL of the trailcams out there, someone would have come up with definitive proof by now. Every single time someone comes up with a pic, its proved to be fake or misidentification.

yup. been there done that. the pic i had sent to me last year was a fake. believe it was you that told me that. hurt my feelings lol. j/k

Im going to create a TV show in NY called "Chasing Lions". I will have a team and we will go through NYS interviewing people who saw lions. Then we will go into the woods and hear things that must be mountain lions. We will never actually get a picture of one or see one, but of course, they are here! and people will watch the show!

• Like 1