Coyote Weapon of Choice

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not positive, but i was told it doesn't matter if you're a shotgun only deer area, you can still rifle hunt. maybe someone else can chime in.

Depends on the area. For example:

Stewart State Forest is shotgun only for everything all the time. Putnam County is shotgun only during big game season. You just can't use rifles to hunt coyotes during big game season in Putnam. All other seasons, you can use rifle.

Edited by Elmo

i'm not positive, but i was told it doesn't matter if you're a shotgun only deer area, you can still rifle hunt. maybe someone else can chime in.

As Elmo said, certain areas are no rifles, ever like Stewart. Other areas that are shotgun only during big game allows rimfire for small game.

i was guess i was thinking private land where the parks dont impose site specific rules.

Still depends on the area. Putnam County is a County law so it applies to every where within that County, public or private. Stewart is a park specific law even though it resides in Orange County which allows rifles.

I shot an adult female this afternoon. I was going out to get some wood, looked up and saw her 50 yards away outside our dog fence. She saw me, I turned around and ran for my coyote gun, earmuffs and a couple bullets. Came back prepared this time. :-) She was now 75 yards away and watching a herd of 6-8 deer, so she didn't even see me open the door. I lowered the bipod, put the crosshairs on her chest and BOOOM. 35 grain bullet at nearly 4500 fps from my Rem 700 22-250 knocked her down right there. I love that load. :-)

So that was today's coyote gun, though I've used my Browning X-Bolt 243 on occasion as well.

Zhe Wiz

I shot an adult female this afternoon. I was going out to get some wood, looked up and saw her 50 yards away outside our dog fence. She saw me, I turned around and ran for my coyote gun, earmuffs and a couple bullets. Came back prepared this time. :-) She was now 75 yards away and watching a herd of 6-8 deer, so she didn't even see me open the door. I lowered the bipod, put the crosshairs on her chest and BOOOM. 35 grain bullet at nearly 4500 fps from my Rem 700 22-250 knocked her down right there. I love that load. :-)

So that was today's coyote gun, though I've used my Browning X-Bolt 243 on occasion as well.

Zhe Wiz

that's awesome. Was she big? I had 7 deer spooked into my backyard near my appletrees last night and I've caught 2 yotes on cams and I'm wondering if it was indeed a coyote and not a human.

I hope you don't have humans lurking in your back yard!

ha. i just bought my house in July. I've noticed the neighbors have a trail going into the woods on my property. My property is sort of a T shape so I own behind the 3 neighbors to my right and another to my left. I caught them smoking pot once in the fall. Thought I scared the 2 teen girls but then caught them on my trail cams over xmas break. I dont want to cause a feud with my neighbors as I dont really care, but I just want them out during the fall. It's sort of a pickle. But because I have a mini-orchard on the back part of my yard the deer stick in close.

that's awesome. Was she big? I had 7 deer spooked into my backyard near my appletrees last night and I've caught 2 yotes on cams and I'm wondering if it was indeed a coyote and not a human.

Hey! We're on the same "side" in this thread. :-)

No, she actually was quite average, possibly slightly below average in size. I wouldn't have guessed that when she was on her feet, but the closer I walked to her, the smaller she seemed to become. :-)

I now have two deer carcasses about 180 yards from my back porch now. Hoping I'll catch a few more daytime yotes over the next few days.

Zhe Wiz