Coyote Weapon of Choice

It depends on where you're going to be hunting. I watched so many youtube videos of coyote hunters taking down yotes well over a 100 yards away on wide open plains and cut corn fields and thought I need a gun that can handle these long ranges.

Then I actually went out on a couple of coyote hunts and all I see is dense hardwood and could barely see beyond 75 yards. That's when I realized where I hunt, a light weight, mobile, short range platform is more practical than heavy, long barreled, long range sniper rifles.

Yeah I currently dont own a centerfire rifle as everywhere I dear hunt is shotgun only and someday I may want to hunt black bear at my parents cabin near Racquet lake so I was thinking just a 308 or 30-06. I know that's overkill for a coyote, but it helps expand my arsenal to hunt more game. Was wondering if anyone used slugs in their rifled barrel shotgun? I dont see getting a shot >150yards where I'd hunt.

I have used a lot of guns over the years.....they all had faults

I built this one exactly how I wanted it....finally i have the perfect gun

I also run a Browning BPS 10g with a custom barrell for close work

ar-2.jpg

is that the laser genetic nd3 on top of your scope?

Those are some great looking guns you guys are using! Damn, you must have a few bucks tied up in them. Have you killed lots of coyotes with them? I rarely see the darn things when I have a gun in my hand.

Anybody ever kill a coyote, on purpose? Not while deer hunting?

Put up a couple pictures......

Thanks!

Those are some great looking guns you guys are using! Damn, you must have a few bucks tied up in them. Have you killed lots of coyotes with them? I rarely see the darn things when I have a gun in my hand.

Anybody ever kill a coyote, on purpose? Not while deer hunting?

Put up a couple pictures......

Thanks!

I only killed one when I was intentionally looking for coyotes..I was cruising the backroads early in the morning and spotted one in a hayfield about 200 yards away..Sniped him with the 7mm08. He had the mange.

I have killed 3 while turkey hunting ( all in Ontario) 2 while deer hunting, and 1 while duck hunting.

Use a sharp stick a rock a 50cal what ever you feel like using the only good yote is a dead yote I have shot them with my PSE the 17hmr also 3006, 243 and 12 ga its all on what you want to do dont know what the hides are bringing this year if your tring to make a few $$$$ then the smaller calibers if not then use as big a gun or a rock you lol just be safe have fun and good luck

Here is my coyote gun, or my APW as I call it (All-Purpose-Weapon haha!) I use it for just about everything. Deer, yotes, possums in the garbage, red-squirrels.. Over-kill for a lot of that, but it's fun and very cheap to shoot. It's a 1971 GP WASR 10/63, 7.62x39mm (obviously). It's got a top-mounted UTG CQB 3-9x36 Red/green illuminated scope, and a Browning Buckmark Reflex sight mounted on a 45-degree offset.

post-2740-0-72585800-1354370055_thumb.jp

post-2740-0-05549000-1354370261_thumb.jp