Do you think it would be better if all towns were "By written permission only"

Grizz1219

I tell you what...when I started gaining private permission in Ohio, I was initially thinking their requirement was crazy. If you don't own the land (or I think have a formal hunting lease agreement), you need to have signed permission slips on your person.

After a few seasons there, I have grown to LOVE it. It really makes life simple and creates good hunter practices. Each season, hunters visit the landowners and get the forms signed. This prevents the common situation where someone gets access once and then hunts the ground year after year without checking in with the owner or touching base with them before season.

I LOVE IT. I make a trip in September each year to get the forms signed and sit down with a few of the landowners. I actually really enjoy that weekend as it is relaxing and pretty fun.

I think this is a fantastic idea. One of the reasons why my property is posted today is because those that I granted permission to decided that they were within their rights to invite their friends and relatives to hunt my property. And that situation grew to the point where the original ones that I granted permission to were no longer around, but all these strangers felt some sort of implied permission. Eventually I had to shut it all down and post the place up tighter than a drum. If there had been a "written permission" law in effect, those people would have had to come to me, and it would never have gotten out of control as it did.

Also a written permission law would stop all the bogus verbal claims of permission. It does happen that people just plain lie about having received permission to trespass, and unless you are the actual landowner, you pretty much have to accept their word for it.

Also, trespass would have to be an even more willful act if the trespasser knew he didn't have the proper documentation.