Impacts on small game numbers

Doc

I have made an observation this summer that explains why our rabbit population has been so crappy when hunting season rolls around in recent years. I have a large area that is a ways away from the house that I mow. In early spring, I would see jillions of young rabbits out there eating as the summer progressed, I was seeing fewer and fewer, until now when I have only seen one on the last trip out there. In the middle of this field is a huge cherry tree, and one of the times out there, I think I saw the culprit perched up in the top of that tree. It was a big ol' redtailed hawk. I could see where rabbits out in the grass would be easy targets for him.

So all this coincides with another thing that I have observed. That is the number of hawks that you can see just riding down the road. They seem to be everywhere, perched on electric poles and lines and such. I seem to recall sightings of hawks when I was  a youngster being somewhat rare.

I have also noted that our squirrell populations seem to be dwindling a bit too from what they used to be back when I was a kid. I'm wondering if these guys are having an effect on squirrells too. Also, like everywhere, the grouse numbers are way down from what they were years ago. Some impacts from hawks there too?

What kinds of impacts do you suppose this unchecked quantity of hawks is having on the small game populations around the state?

Doc

yup Hawks do their job pretty well, so do the owls. Imagine if they had a season on Hawks and Owls..haha

Apparently Owls like to be-head their victims, I was attending a training session with my dog and the guy that has the bird pen's had one in the night before and it got a bird. The guy came out with the decapitated head and body and was joking that the birds eat less that way.. hehe

I wonder how much small game an Eagle can eat, we see some every year in Greene county. Last year the day after killing a deer there was an Eagle on the gut pile, neat to see.

My grandfather was a NYS falconer for years up until a few years ago when the license fees increased to like $100 annually.Those Goshawks,Coopers hawks,redtails,Kestrels are magnificent creatures and proficient hunters as well. I can remember beating the brush trying to flush bunnies for the hawks when I was 7-8 years old. We used to raise 500 bobwhite quail and 200 ringnecked pheasant every year just to feed the hawks. Then the neighbors cut holes in the flightpens,lots of quail and pheasants escaped. I do agree with the decline in population numbers of many small game animals,although the past couple of years I have noticed alot of woodcock and I've seen quite a few grouse in the past month. I do my part by hunting the heck out of the coyotes and fox after deer season. Twice last year while coyote calling I almost had a great horned owl land on my head! I jumped and waved my arms, they got about 3 feet away from sinking their talons in my skull.(then it's self defense)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that there are many more hawks than there used to be....When I was a kid, hawks were protected, but nobody paid much attention to the regulation...Most people shot them  them when they got the chance.... They were all CHICKEN HAWKS, dontcha know..??... :D ....

Public opinion/awareness has changed drastically toward  birds of prey... Especially since  they have protected under FEDERAL regs....

Those redtails we see so many of are indeed fierce predators..I saw one hit an adult hen turkey once ...He was unsuccessful of course, but you have to give him an "E" for effort..That was one pissed off turkey, by the way...!!.. >:( ...  I have also seen them attack adult woodchucks, which are pretty tough critters...  I read a study once that said that the major predators of pheasnts are red tailed hawks, horned owls and red foxes...

As far as squirrels go, I have noticed some ups and downs over the years, but they seemed more related to mast supply than to predators...There sure are plenty of them around here in Steuben County, as long as you hunt the proper food source.... For instance, hickory nuts are generally a big draw, but this year I have not seen a single hickory nut or beechnut, for that matter... However there is a bumper crop of acorns and the squirrels are in the oaks big time..I have hunted them several times this season and I  have shot 28 so far...A couple times I didn't make it 200 yards from from the truck before I had my limit..

• 1 month later...

hawks deffinatly take here share of small game of all sizes. i remember 2 years go while target shooting with my muzzle loader at ttondowanda wathcing a red tail try to take a pheasant 3 tries and empty clawed each one only because that rooster wash weaving like a grouse when mr. hawk would get close. it was quite a sight my dad and i both were rooting for that pheasant naturally