First deer!

Elmo

Hey phade,

As you know, hunters and fisherman are totally different breeds from the normal population in terms of how they perceive the sport. Most times, we as sportsman and women prefer to be out alone, by ourselves, away from any BS that life throws at us. Its our ME time and prefer to be relaxed.

Because of this reason, most hunters and fisherman prefer to travel alone, hunt and fish alone, and not be bothered by agreeing on things such as when to wake up, when to leave, etc.

As far as tactics goes, I don't think I really have any. Where we differ most is how each of us would consider taking deer, and when to take deer. I prefer head shots when given the opportunity over double lung. Id rather miss than fatally injure a deer that can't be tracked. I would prefer to take a fawn over a large doe. I generally gravitate to what I think is their bedding areas to hunt versus areas of buck sign. I generally don't pay too much attention to wind direction and don't buy into the scent gimmick.

Theres more I'm sure, but these are some that I think we may differ in. But as long as there's communication and a common interest, things can be worked out.

As far as deer count on my part, I've kind of lost track. I'm still trying to learn how to hunt, and not just shoot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by shawnhu

Lets stick with attay boys and congrats start another thread to talk about hunting tactics

I really enjoyed this first time story. I could feel his excitement through his words and remember feeling that way about my own experiences over the years. Congrats and thank you

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

We also differ in a lot of political views and other stuff as well. (see his cop rants) But when I'm out in the woods, I'm only focused on the hunt and as long as the other person on my team has the same focus and isn't messing up my hunting experience, then I'm cool.

All that is put aside like I said and the focus is on the hunt. We aren't all cut from the same cloth, but as hunters, we should all work together to accomplish the same goals.

I'm really thankful that I found this site. Met some really cool people on here and looking forward to meeting more in my years to come.

My parents tried cooking the deer liver as if it was pig or calf liver. Didn't turn out so good. They tossed it even before I got a chance to try it.

I cooked up the heart. I always like to at least once, try a meat with minimal seasoning to really taste the meat and not have it masked with tons of spice or sauce. I took a basic recipe from a book. Just a dash of salt and pepper, dredge in flour, then pan fried for 5 minutes on each side. Let the oil drip. It was pretty good. Not prime rib or filet mignon good but pretty good. Got a passable rating from all who tried it. No one disliked it. It had a tiny hint of calf liver taste to it which isn't a bad thing because I actually like liver which is why I was disappointed the actual liver came out bad and was tossed.

post-789-0-95912700-1355378890_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-81046700-1355378908_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-44340700-1355378929_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-22075800-1355378957_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-75131400-1355378975_thumb.jpg

Just looking at packaged calf liver at the store makes me want to wretch. I just can't stand to look at it, let alone smell it or eat it. I couldn't imagine deer liver being any better, so I toss it out along with the rest of the guts in the field. Never tried heart either. Not that there is ever much left of the heart since my bullet usually sizzles thru it. LOL, well some of the time anyway!

Elmo, make sure you don't waste time getting to eat the backstrap. I do flour it a bit and fry in oil and butter for a few minutes on each side. You can season any way you like. Once that's done I put some red wine in the pan and let the whole thing simmer on very low heat for another couple of minutes. For me the wine makes the whole thing taste even better.

• Like 2

I usually just chug the wine as it fries....That takes care of any taste issues as well...lol

A friend of mine adds just enough cinnimon ito the flour dredge to color it. It is amazing the flavor that imparts to the venison ...nice hint of flavor iif you like cinnimon.

Funny how the little extra in cooking help the flavor. This weekend we had wild rice, almonds and cranberries mixed with venison. When you got a cranberry and some venison together it was wonderful!

Give it a try.

• Like 2

My parents tried cooking the deer liver as if it was pig or calf liver. Didn't turn out so good. They tossed it even before I got a chance to try it.

I cooked up the heart. I always like to at least once, try a meat with minimal seasoning to really taste the meat and not have it masked with tons of spice or sauce. I took a basic recipe from a book. Just a dash of salt and pepper, dredge in flour, then pan fried for 5 minutes on each side. Let the oil drip. It was pretty good. Not prime rib or filet mignon good but pretty good. Got a passable rating from all who tried it. No one disliked it. It had a tiny hint of calf liver taste to it which isn't a bad thing because I actually like liver which is why I was disappointed the actual liver came out bad and was tossed.

We usually fry up the liver and heart together with some onions. I like the heart but for some reason the liver always comes out very dry. Im not a big fan of liver anyway though so Im not really sure if theres a better way to cook it.

We usually fry up the liver and heart together with some onions. I like the heart but for some reason the liver always comes out very dry. Im not a big fan of liver anyway though so Im not really sure if theres a better way to cook it.

Over cooking liver tends to dry them up and toughen them up. We usually cook the liver medium rare to medium. Of course that with pig and calf liver. Not sure the same goes with deer liver.