Rifles Believing it's a Miss?

tony m

Any pics of the bullet? This is very interesting.

I was going to get some pics but since our neighbor explained the situation, I figured there was no reason.

The carcass had two clean, small holes.

I am new to using a rifle for deer, first time last week, with no luck seeing a buck.

But I agree with posters here, it still comes down to putting optimum effort in finding the correct spot where the deer was when the shot was taken.

For this particular example, this was a mature, but inexperienced hunter who has only shot her first deer two years ago. And its not because she is a female. I think its great she's out there hunting. It's an experience thing.

But the other examples I have, I just don't know what to say except most likely, lazy / unethical hunters first?

Edited by tony m

Most of you have read this...but some not....several years ago I shot a doe with my browning 20ga...3"mag Brenneke's...now she was broad side 30yrds..know this bow stand....aimed behind the shoulder and it actually knocked her over...she jumped up and into heavy brush behind an ancient maple...I thought OK she's dead...until a few minutes later I see her walking up the hill...slowly tail and head down browsing...WTH.....I watch as she walks to the top of the ridge..now above me...never having a shot...she got to the top ..all I could see clearly was her tail go straight up then disappear...

it's nearly dark now and I go to trail absolutely no blood...so I trail her be looking back at stand as I head to where I saw the tail...there she was over 100yrds from the stand dead...and NOT A MARK ON HER....the slug had hit her wright where I aimed and nicked her elbow...it was found intact with the plastic wadding still attached between her hide and the fat attached to the hide...What killed her was a small tear in her liver...from the impact...for no ribs where broken and the slug never actually entered her body

Needless to say...I never ever assume any thing after a shot......

Nope, more broadside then quartering. Bullet went in behind the shoulder and never came out. When I skinned it you could see where I hit the back rib on the far side but it never found an exit on the hide. It's weird because the week before I shot a bear went clear through there.

Hey Tony, I was referring to this post about pics of the bullet. All this is odd though with a potent round in 30-06.

• 3 weeks later...

every deer ive ever shot (3 of em, two doe, one buck) dropped without taking 1 step, just dropped like a rock... (i know im lucky) so far in my hunting experience (2 yrs) ive shot at 5 deer total, the two of them i missed were bucks (same one) and i missed both times... and i looked for over an hour for blood... (i think that buck is jynxed) however i totaly cant understand how ur 30-06 bullet didnt go thru... all my deer the bullet blew right thru and i use a 308. w 150 gr bullets

Edited by josephmrtn

I still can't believe the slug stories.

The 20ga that close usually puts a good hole as well...We figure that the shell was under loaded at the factory or.....the powder somehow got moist.....All the more reason to follow up on all shots...Even though such a bizarre thing may only happen once in a blue moon.....

I shot a real nice buck, 7 pt with a 22" spread about 20 years ago. This was in shotgun territory. Looking over the deer I noticed a lump in the upper part of one of the front legs. I opened up the area with a knife and found the cardboard wadding from a slug. Crazy stuff.......

• 4 weeks later...

when we change to rifle here, this became a hot topic. With me i was looking for a lite, compact rifle to use in the trees and brush. i started with a mini 30. compact, lite, a nice package in my opinion. until i got a shot a medium doe. the cross hairs were on the edge of the front shoulder. we found small drops of blood every 20 to 30 yards, for over 1 1/2 miles according to the gps. we started on state land, then to posted property under occupied tree stands (yep made alot of friends). at that point we lost the blood trail, and after a few more hours the deer as well. almost sickening. so at that point i bought an h&r in a 45-70. all but 1 deer shot have dropped on the spot. the other went 10 steps with a waterfall type blood trail. i wanted a semi for the brush bought an old ruger carbine in a 44mag. with the xtp's loaded the deer drop quickly and have very nice blood trails. since then my hunting buddy has 'borrowed' it and i moved to an ar in a beowulf. I understand everyone has there own opinions on the best rifle, but my experiance tells me at short range (125 yrd or less) big heavy bullets plants them where they stand.