WWII German Machine Gun

Deerthug

Interesting article about a woman who brought her husbands gun to a Hartford police station for a gun buy-back discovered that the gun was a valuable Sturmgewehr 44. The cops were smart enough to realize this ain't no ordinary gun

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/valuable-wwii-gun-police-buy-back-022155231--abc-news-topstories.html

Cool...I watch a lot of WWII film footage on the Military Channel and the History Channel.

Once in awhile I see films of German troops carrying the STG 44 rifles, especially in footage from the battle of the Bulge. They were an excellent weapon, and as stated, the very first "assault rifle" in history. Fortunately for US and unfortunately for the Germans, the numbers manufactured and issued were too few to make much difference. By 1944, when they were first issued, it would have taken more than a superior infantry small arm to turn the tide of the war in Germany's favor.

The rifle is selective fire , either semi or fully auto.

Many fully auto arms were "DE-MILLED", physically altered so they cannot be made to fire. Perhaps it is one of those.

In any case, it's in police custody now. She should be able to sell to someone with the proper license. I know several people who are licensed to posses fully automatic weapons.

The rifle is selective fire , either semi or fully auto.

Many fully auto arms were "DE-MILLED", physically altered so they cannot be made to fire. Perhaps it is one of those.

In any case, it's in police custody now. She should be able to sell to someone with the proper license. I know several people who are licensed to posses fully automatic weapons.

Same here. Was playing with some full auto stuff in MA recently. Pre-ban stuff.

Edit: I sure hope the gov don't ban Peeing!

Edited by shawnhu

very cool, it's probably just missing a part firing pin for example, as gi's wern't allowed to send back operable siezed guns, some filled the barrel with lead go home melt it out and you have a machine gun,luger ppk,ect...., but a collecter would love it and the missing parts can be found!

I remember as a kid, my uncle showing me his 1911 and a German P-38 that he brought back from the war. I remember him telling me how great they shot. Don't know how he got them back in working order but he did. As an 11-12 year old kid I remember how sweet that 1911was. He dropped the mag., cleared the chamber and said " this thing will stop a horse" Way cool!!