Any one use preorbital scent and mock scrapes

nybuckboy

I'm probably a sucker for this stuff but I am gonna try setting up a couple of Mock scrapes where I know other scrapes are generally found. I have watched a few vids on doing this and they usually include some preorbital scent on the over hang branch.

I will use some a little interdigital, a little tarsal and dominate buck urine on the scrape and the preorbital on the branch. I can certainly can see that whatever you can do to make a dominant buck believe he has an intruder will really make him check back daily to see if the other son of a b*tch is around.

I plan to dress this up once week until the season opens and then each time I hunt the stand dress it again.

I have, and I wasn't really pleased with the results. Is yours "store bought" or homemade. This season I am going to make my own.

I was not happy with the results so far, but haven't really given it a fair test. I think you have to do it through a couple seasons to be fair.

What has worked the best for me is cut an overhanging branch off another scrape and transport it in a clean garbage bag to the mock scrape and zip tie the cut branch to the branch over the mock scrape...and it doesn't hurt to use some frozen tarsals either!

But I would really be interested in your findings! Good Luck!

All right... made 2 small scrapes at my one stand and roughed up a small tree as a rub.  At the other stand about 200 yards up the ravine made another scrape and a rub. This is the stand where my 16 yo son will sit some. Put some preorbital on the overhanging branch and a little bit on the rub as well. A little dominant buck urine sprayed on the scrape and added a few drops of tarsal. Plan to dr. the sites once a week until the season and will hunt them opening day until 11am.

Lol ....... who can really tell what's going through the minds of those silly goats? I don't think they really know what the heck they are doing themselves  ;D . Human urine ...... deer urine ...... I don't suppose it really matters to them.

Doc

I use mock scrapes with good success. Most guys i know over do it when spraying stuff in a mock scrape. And remember you need an overhanging branch for the preorbital scent. I've seen plenty of guys make scrapes without having an overhanging branch dead giveaway something ain't kosher to the deer.

But not necessarily in my experience.

Instead of going ape...he puts his tail between his legs and slinks away.

Sometimes they seem to get intimidated and seem to shy away, especially some yearlings and 2.5 year olds. I have noticed that sometimes after experimenting with different store-bought scents, (and watching them with a trail cam) bucks will come in to the scrape, smell it, and act like they think about it for a minute. And then move off...after a while the scrape goes dead.

I think we are only beginning to understand the complex scent messages at a scrape from the messages on the all important overhanging branch and to a lesser degree, the ground-based part of the scrape.

Does are as important at scrapes as bucks.

Scrapes are not just a buck thing anymore than sex is.

The nice part is that both scrape sites are easily reached w/o much disturbance. My hope is that by doctoring the scrapes once a week, that by the time opening day comes around that the dominant buck is p*ssed off enough that he begins to check it a few times a day. I am hoping that opening day is a day he comes back to see if this "other" buck is around. I'm not concerned about the younger bucks being scared off. The one scrape site is about 50 yards down wind from where traditionally there have been other scrapes. We'll see.