tracking

Red

I stallked up on a doe at 4 got a nice 40-50yd broad side shot hit her solid she went down rolled got up and did the death run with her hose drgging on the ground. I know I hit her and hit her good no blood. Gonna keep looking in the dark for an hr then work early tomorrow so I can get out out early to keep looking. This sucks

Sounds like you hit her good. Instead of working early to get out early tomorrow, if you can do it , get out early and find her then go to work. Sounds like shes dead somewhere, hate to see the coyotes get to her before you do. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I looked for an hr and a half tonite but most of it was searching in the dark. I'm definitely gonna be back out there tomorrow searching I'm hoping the coyotes don't get her I found a dead doe today that the coyotes had torn apart pretty good

I honestly have no doubt in my mind that she's piled up some where she went down rolled ran 70 yards or so fell over again then did another mad dash with her nose dragging the ground hopefully zig zagging in the thickets will produce her.

Yup just a few days ago I shot a doe with the muzzle loader somewhere around 170 yards. I knew I had held right on her and I had a good shot. Of course with the smoke I couldn't tell what way she had ran. I checked the trails leading out of the field by walking into them about 10 yards and looking for blood with the flashlight. I called my father and he met me with a better light. Nothing at any of the trails....we walked into logging road again (I had already walked in it 10 yards) this time maybe 30 yards before we saw blood. The blood trail was a foot wide and coated every tree she went by. All in all she went 80 yards with a shot that couldn't have been any better. In disbelief we tried backtracking to see if we had missed the blood trail from the field...nope, it started around 30 yards into the logging road. It makes me wonder how many deer are shot good but don't bleed and convince the hunter that they missed.

• Like 1

I believe that any hunter that has to see blood before knowing that they hit their target needs to get back to the range and spend some time pinching some paper.

Tell ya same thing as I tell my girls, pinching is not nice!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by irish_redneck

I believe that any hunter that has to see blood before knowing that they hit their target needs to get back to the range and spend some time pinching some paper.

Not necessarily. As was my experience with the lost deer, we had three experienced hunters and didn't find blood or any sign of a hit deer. I'm an Army-trained marksman and it's not beyond possibility that I misread the wind, misjudged the distance or elevation, or just flinched.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Not necessarily. As was my experience with the lost deer, we had three experienced hunters and didn't find blood or any sign of a hit deer. I'm an Army-trained marksman and it's not beyond possibility that I misread the wind, misjudged the distance or elevation, or just flinched.

With due respect Sir, I don't think we are talking about 2-300 yard shots with winds in the 30 mph range to deflect a bullet enough to miss a dinner plate.

I'm sure you know that with today's ballistics and speeds of bullets that an extra 50 yards wont make much more than a fraction of an inch's difference in POI.

Now that leaves flinching. Nothing can be said about that but more range time and/or man down and use a weapon that one is not afraid of pulling the trigger on.

I'm here to learn and share as much as the next guy, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

With due respect Sir, I don't think we are talking about 2-300 yard shots with winds in the 30 mph range to deflect a bullet enough to miss a dinner plate.

I'm sure you know that with today's ballistics and speeds of bullets that an extra 50 yards wont make much more than a fraction of an inch's difference in POI.

Now that leaves flinching. Nothing can be said about that but more range time and/or man down and use a weapon that one is not afraid of pulling the trigger on.

I'm here to learn and share as much as the next guy, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It turns out that none of those things happened. All I was saying is that I, knowing my training and experience, didn't discount the possibility that any or all could have. Like I said we had three experienced hunters looking for over four hours because I was certain that id made a good shot

It turns out that none of those things happened. All I was saying is that I, knowing my training and experience, didn't discount the possibility that any or all could have. Like I said we had three experienced hunters looking for over four hours because I was certain that id made a good shot

And what I'm saying is that in most cases, especially in the woods, and in NYS, one would likely never encounter the variables you describe for a shooter to doubt their shots. The biggest variable is the shooter and their ability to confidently place a shot.

Was able to find some blood chunks of bone the bullet went right threw her and stuck in the stree that was behind her I found. Blood all over the tree and found a dead doe about 150 yrds or so away mangled up really bad by some coyotes