NRA News Conference Live

What i am sying is that the NRA had over a week to prepare a meaningful response and they failed to do so.

I for one would have expected a more sensitive and well thought out response.

His response may well have swayed those sitting on the fence to leap into the arms of the far right gun control advocates.

What i am sying is that the NRA had over a week to prepare a meaningful response and they failed to do so.

His response may well have swayed those sitting on the fence to leap into the arms of the far right gun control advocates.

What do you think he should have said?

How much more sensitive can you get when speaking about the importance of bringing our schools to the same protection afforded our elected officials... the insensitivity lies with those elected officials charged with keeping the American public safe that would protect themselves before affording the people that same protection. Lapierre got it right when he said that the only way to stop an armed bad guy is an armed good guy... gun bans will do only one thing.. take the gun away from one of those armed men and from experience we know it won't be the armed bad guy.

• Like 2

The NRA issued a statement saying that their members were "shocked,saddened and heartbroken" and announced that they had a plan to unveil "meaningfull contributions to make sure that none of this happens again"

Ther were a lot of things Wayne could have said that would have had a meaningful impact and contribution to the discussion concerning gun violence in this country. Unfortunately he chose not to!

The NRA issued a statement saying that their members were "shocked,saddened and heartbroken" and announced that they had a plan to unveil "meaningfull contributions to make sure that none of this happens again"

Ther were a lot of things Wayne could have said that would have had a meaningful impact and contribution to the discussion concerning gun violence in this country. Unfortunately he chose not to!

The NRA's cause is not gun violence... it is the protection of gun rights... and they did unveil a meanful contribution to make sure this doesn't happen again... I think the real sensitivity comes in the fact that they didn't make any statement for a week out of respect for the victims, which was far more sensitive than the barrage by the media and anti gun crazies and there continuos exploitation of the tragedy.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

One more time....What should he have said.

So again, what would you have said?

So you wont tell me at least one of these "meaningful" things Wayne could have said?

You know what has been advocated by those seeking additional gun control measures. If you want to continue the argument just say so! We can civilly agree to disagree.

Make sure you tune in this Sunday to meet the press.

By the way, no Republicans (sponsored by the NRA) are attending and I for one can tell you that I as a registered Republicam (WHO VOTES) I will be watching.

LaPierre,s statement about mental health issues and protecting our schools with armed security and guards sounds good to me. The only thing I didn't him say is , How are we going to pay for all of this protection? At one time we had state hospitals and mental health clinics all over the state . Then one day the tax payers and state said that they cost to much to run and then shut them all down. I also would like to know who is going to pay for all of the armed security and the new police that we are going to need for all of this protection. I didn't hear him say that the NRA would help pay for it. Someone is going to have pay for it and who do you think that someone is? I see that we have two choicest. One would be a police state.that will cost all of us or we can do something about some of the gun laws.There are just some guns out there that we do not and can not afford to have and something needs to be done.

What about LaPierre's crazy rant wild eyed rant?

"If you don't have something smart to say,don't say anything at all."

Actually, I thought his response was a very measured and intelligent way to reply to all the insane paranoia and the people running in circles and wringing their hands with absolutely nothing new, effective or innovative to say. And, the NRA plan is the first thing that has been said since the tragedy that showed a little common sense in terms of doing something meaningful and that really has a chance of being significant. And in fact it is something that I suggested way back early in the debate here. Instead of declaring war on a chunk of plastic and metal, finally something being said that addresses the real problem ....... the loonies that would do our children harm. It's about time. Now the problem is getting the antis to open their minds to real solutions instead of the insane and inneffective crutch of adding more failed gun laws. Ha-ha .... I'm not holding my breath.

I think The NRA came out and kept it short because no matter what they said would be put under the scope. Deaf is deaf, Anti is anti, media showed cuts of the speech and put it the way they wanted too. The NRA at least had a plan, Obama came on did'nt even know what power he had if any to change?

(This Change thing again) if you listen to the Obama speech he talked around Guns, but the media turned that into Gun Control, when he never said the word GUN. Stick together don't let this put you on a side thats not Pro Gun Pro Hunt. I'am off to hunt and enjoy my freedom to do so.

Well they sure as heck didnt blame inantimate objects for the actions of a few nut jobs. They adressed the actual problems, and its completely hilarious to me that there are those of you out there so hell bent on banning something because you dont think its necessary, that you will take the side that will eventually cost you the freedom to own ANY gun, to do so. Be careful what you wish for.

The media has also ignored the breakdown of the american family and the culture of violence we are forced to raise our kids in. A study of todays youth should have been done after Columbine. Guns were around way before these crazy kids and we didn't have these problems.

We had a shooting range in our high school when I attended. That high school was in New York City of all places. Funny how none of those kids ran through the halls of the school shooting it up.

LaPierre,s statement about mental health issues and protecting our schools with armed security and guards sounds good to me. The only thing I didn't him say is , How are we going to pay for all of this protection? At one time we had state hospitals and mental health clinics all over the state . Then one day the tax payers and state said that they cost to much to run and then shut them all down. I also would like to know who is going to pay for all of the armed security and the new police that we are going to need for all of this protection. I didn't hear him say that the NRA would help pay for it. Someone is going to have pay for it and who do you think that someone is? I see that we have two choicest. One would be a police state.that will cost all of us or we can do something about some of the gun laws.There are just some guns out there that we do not and can not afford to have and something needs to be done.

I recall him saying that the NRA will be offering free training to whatever school wants to implement the policy. Obviously it would come out of each school budget to cover the cost of armed security. I have no problem paying higher school taxes for a pro active security plan to ensure the safety of my kids any day over a new football scoreboard or similar item. How about you?

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 2

When it comes to the defense of our children, money is all of a sudden an issue. And yet nobody has a problem with maintaining expensive registration systems. Extra-curricular activities .... no problem. Keeping kids alive, well gee that's awful expensive. We seem to have some strange priorities. One more person on the payroll. Is that a budget breaker? Never has been before.

• Like 3

You know what has been advocated by those seeking additional gun control measures. If you want to continue the argument just say so! We can civilly agree to disagree.

Make sure you tune in this Sunday to meet the press.

By the way, no Republicans (sponsored by the NRA) are attending and I for one can tell you that I as a registered Republicam (WHO VOTES) I will be watching.

Im not being uncivil, and I think you know that. Im just asking you a simple question, that you wont answer. What should (in your opinion) he have said??