So what Gun was used by the coward in Newton CT..

sits in trees

I wonder if the M4 he is using may have a piston drive setup on it. Those need to be tuned for the type of ammo you use. Lower pressures can cause them to malfunction.

Maybe there's a difference between the military M4A1 I was referring to versus a civilian variant.

Maybe there's a difference between the military M4A1 I was referring to versus a civilian variant.

There is no civilian M4. Though, with the right licensing, etc, you can own one. An AR15 is similar, but not the same. Many parts are interchangeable.

The military uses a bunch of variants of the M4 platform, and they are built by a few manufacturers. Some of them use a piston drive system instead of the typical gas system. Piston drives are available for ARs as well, and they all require tuning. The difference between 223 and 5.56 ammo is the pressures generated, so if a piston drive is setup for the usual milspec 5.56, and you start using 223 in it, it can cause jams because the 223 ammo doesnt generate as much pressure.

In a gas system, you can have the same issue with some of the shorter barrels as well from what I have read.

• Like 1

Yup woofer you are hopeless. If the word of the medical examiner and lt Vance aren't enough, then who would you like to hear it from?

I find it laughable that a medical examiner and lt Vance in front of media isn't good enough for you. Those are the only two you are going to info from at this point in time.

When anyone that is in a politically appointed position, who's job depends on falling in line with their political party's agenda, speaks out about any issue, one is to be commended for having a large amount of cynicism about what they present as the truth on any subject.

They were appointed by, and currently work for, the political party in CT that wants to ban AR type rifles, as well as many handguns and any 30 round mag capable rifles. If you don't believe they could be lying to the public, you are not being objective. Since questions about the legitimacy of the investigation have arisen, why are they stonewalling an impartial analysis of their investigation? I suspect there is something to hide.

The difference between 223 and 5.56 ammo is the pressures generated, so if a piston drive is setup for the usual milspec 5.56, and you start using 223 in it, it can cause jams because the 223 ammo doesnt generate as much pressure.

This whole thing started when I was responding to this comment.

"The .223 does not make devastating wounds, it was designed to injure and not kill enemy combatants."

I was merely pointing out the fact that the poster might have confused the 223 with the military 5.56. There was a difference between the initialy desgin purposes of the 223 versus the 5.56. The 223 was never designed with combat in mind. I shoot the 50 grain American Eagle 223 LCT. According to the manufacturers description:

"Polymer tip creates explosive expansion for spectacularly effective kills on varmints"

I know, but saying that all 223 rounds will cause more damage than a 556 round isnt necessarily true. A 223 FMJ bullet is the same as a 556 FMJ bullet. Both will do pretty much the same thing. A polymer tip hunting bullet is quite a bit different than a milspec bullet.

I should correct myself in regards to the differences in the 223 and 556, the cases and primers are different, as well as the charge.

• Like 1

When anyone that is in a politically appointed position, who's job depends on falling in line with their political party's agenda, speaks out about any issue, one is to be commended for having a large amount of cynicism about what they present as the truth on any subject.

They were appointed by, and currently work for, the political party in CT that wants to ban AR type rifles, as well as many handguns and any 30 round mag capable rifles. If you don't believe they could be lying to the public, you are not being objective. Since questions about the legitimacy of the investigation have arisen, why are they stonewalling an impartial analysis of their investigation? I suspect there is something to hide.

I wasn't aware that the lt and the investigators were appointed by political parties.

They said do to the amount of info to process they are waiting until the final report is done to release all of the details. Makes sense to me.

I wasn't aware that the lt and the investigators were appointed by political parties.

They said do to the amount of info to process they are waiting until the final report is done to release all of the details. Makes sense to me.

DW, going to play devil's advocate here, nothing personal.

It may also be possible that certain individuals in power has put the word out to be hush hush about the details and drag out the investigation.

The purpose? Strike while the iron is hot.

I sure hope this isn't the case here.

"Sold it, dont remember the guy that bought it. Have a nice day."

And then from that day forward, you will be the proud owner of something that you will never dare take out of the house. I guess what I am saying is what purpose would it serve to run the risk of jail-time over something that you don't even dare shoot? I'm just trying to pull a little reality into the thread here.

My thought is that if that day should ever come that the trooper is standing there asking where your gun(s) is, it is already too late. All the bold talk and activism needs to take place now before the gun laws ever get that far. Now is the time for solidarity behind organizations like the NRA, and non-stop letter-writing campaigns that put the fear of God into every politician who values their job. Because if we sit on our hands waiting for that day when the trooper is standing in our doorway, it will already be too late to really do anything about anything.

• Like 2