PA Elk

cdmckane

I has dinner at a buddy's place over the weekend and he grilled up some elk steaks that came off an elk his dad took in PA in Nov. Some of the best meat that's ever crossed my lips.

Anyone here try for or draw an elk tag in pa? It's all I can think about since dinner Sat night. Id like to do it without a guide if it's possible. I've talked the wife into letting me spend the $100 for the non-res license answer $250 for the non-res elk tag if I get drawn, but I doubt I'll get her to go along with extra for a guide.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

If you want to hunt elk why not just head out west and buy an OTC tag and hunt DIY? That way you don't need to wait to hit the PA elk lottery. We own many many millions of acres out there so you should take advantage of it.

That may be an.option in the future, but in the mean time, $10/year to get a chance at hunting 4 hrs from home is worth it while I save up to hunt out west. That will probably be quite a few years since our first baby is 7- months and we're planning another in about a year.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but your chances of drawing a PA elk tag are probably slimmer than winning the POWERBALL....Especially if you are a NR...

However, if you don't play you can't win..Good luck..

Meanwhile, start saving your $$$$ for a REAL elk hunt out west..

I've talked the wife into letting me spend the $100 for the non-res license answer $250 for the non-res elk tag if I get drawn, but I doubt I'll get her to go along with extra for a guide.

You get drawn, I'll pay for the guide. <grin>

I might have missed the first year (I have the Pygmy disease CRS) but since then I've been invested in each years lottery. Do yourself a favor and head down that way next September and check out the elk, rutting & bugling. You & your wife will have a good time.

You get drawn, I'll pay for the guide. <grin>

I might have missed the first year (I have the Pygmy disease CRS) but since then I've been invested in each years lottery. Do yourself a favor and head down that way next September and check out the elk, rutting & bugling. You & your wife will have a good time.

We ride motorcycles down in that area quite often. I've seen and heard them, but didn't ever have the urge to hunt them until I ate one. Hunting is fun for me, but my main reason is to put delicious meat in my freezer.

I'll hold you to that guide offer! :D

That may be an.option in the future, but in the mean time, $10/year to get a chance at hunting 4 hrs from home is worth it while I save up to hunt out west. That will probably be quite a few years since our first baby is 7- months and we're planning another in about a year.

Yeah I hear you. My kids are 3 and 6 so it is hard to get away, but I got the go ahead from my wife this year so me and 3 other guys are heading to Colorado for 2 weeks of archery elk hunting. We are going on the cheap though... DIY on public land. We are also camping on forest service land which doesn't cost anything. Now I just have to get my fat ass in shape for the mountains.

I say put in for it, you never know and honestly wha'ts $10 but a stop at McD's. If you do get drawn, your shot a near if not record elk are very good. There was as story done by F&S last year about the difference between east and west records. They said the next world record would come from PA. I am going back home this fall to hunt elk in MT. I love being back home, hunting with my dad, and hunting in a style and environment very different than here. So if you can, start saving the pennies for it and go out west. But if you do, just pack up your whole house cuase you won't want to come back.

I think the PP needed for a bull was 8 in PA, meaning 8 years of applying. Many of the elk are radio tagged, so they know right where they are. They are also fairly contained in the area, so scouting shouldn't be super hard, access to public or huntable land will be the challenge. Also, as LAW says, go down and watch the rut and listen for the bugling. It is so intense.

• 3 weeks later...

it doesn't say you have to have one. here is what the book says.

Elk Guides: Elk Guides are regulated by the Game

Commission and the PA Department of Conservation

and Natural Resources and offer various services to the hunter.

Those individuals drawn for elk licenses will be provided a list of permitted guides. Elk

guide permit applications must be received by the Game Commission by September 28.

You do need a license for it. It's not very hard to get though. And you only need to have the license if you charge a fee. If you do it for free you aren't really a "guide" and don't need to have a license. As for finding the elk, as long as you don't get a crappy draw zone it's not that bad.