Smith and Wesson M&P 40 caliber

I carried an M&P 45, for work, the last 8 years. It replaced the S&W 4506, which was an awesome, reliable gun. Personally I didn't care for the M&P. The first M&P issued to me had problems with failure to feed, failure to eject and stove pipes. I bitched, so I was issued a new one but I had at least one malfunction every time I fired that gun. I wasn't the only one. Another problem we had (wont effect you but) is that because of liability issues, the Dept. installed safeties on the M&P's, which operated in the opposite directions as the 4506 (down) and took no pressure to apply. You would fire a few rounds and if your thumb even touched the safety, while firing, the gun would go back to safe. You wouldn't realize it and would think you had a malfunction.

Maybe we got a bad batch and maybe the M&P40 is better, but I would't recommend that gun to anyone.

I just bought a M&P 40 last week. It felt the best it my hands. I put 50 rounds through it the day after I bought it with out a single malfunction. I haven't had a chance to go back out to shoot it but I an hoping to go out tomorrow and put a couple hundred rounds of various ammo through it. Mine did not come with the thumb safety so that is not an issue for me. As for the trigger I had read before I bought it that some people didn't like the hinged trigger I haven't really noticed anything negative about it while dry firing or getting used to it. Last week i went back and forth between firing my 1911, colt woodsman, and the M&P 40 and found the trigger to be more than acceptable on the M&P. So far I absolutely love. If get back out tomorrow I will update my review with my experience.

Edited by noahmstone

After all my research (about 3 months worth), the M&P 40c will be the next pistol I buy.

I did about 6 months of research while waiting for my permit and had decided on the m&p40c or the m&p40. I went to buy with the intentions of getting the compact but I have fairly large hands and my ring finger and pinky wouldn't fit on the grip so I went with the full size. I also fondled a XD40 and a sig p250 and the m&p seemed to fit more naturally than anything. I have shot a few glocks and rugers in the past and I have no regrets on my decision. If I had smaller hands I think the compact would be in my future also. Right now I am researching .357's and .44's as a follow up gun while hunting.

I couldn't agree more. I would suggest researching and holding as many pistols as possible before making your final decision. What is right for one isn't always right for everyone. Read reviews from owners and media sources find everything that seems to be reliable and has the features that you are looking for. Once you narrow it down to a few models go to a gun shop and hold them all and see what seems to feel the most natural in your hands. The xd40 and the m&p40 are both good decisions it is all based on your personal preference.

I did about 6 months of research while waiting for my permit and had decided on the m&p40c or the m&p40. I went to buy with the intentions of getting the compact but I have fairly large hands and my ring finger and pinky wouldn't fit on the grip so I went with the full size. I also fondled a XD40 and a sig p250 and the m&p seemed to fit more naturally than anything. I have shot a few glocks and rugers in the past and I have no regrets on my decision. If I had smaller hands I think the compact would be in my future also. Right now I am researching .357's and .44's as a follow up gun while hunting.

Even with the big grip on the gun?

I am looking for a good CCW gun.

Yes that was with the magazine with the extended grip inserted and trying all 3 back straps. It just wasn't comfortable for me. It could just be my large hands. I am not trying to steer you away from it at all, go hold one it might be perfect for you. It would be a perfect ccw for many people.