Hunting off in the future

Doc

Cornell does something smart (odd for cornell), the state land they manage near ithaca is off limits to non-hunters during deer season. makes for a much safer hunting area.

I really have mixed feelings about that. It is amazingly frustrating to have several hours invested in an evening hunt and then have a group of bikers roll by laughing and yelling back and forth to each other. Even at 100 or 200 yards, they wake up the whole woods.

But I too have interests other than hunting and know how aggravated I would be at hunters if I was shut down during all of the hunting seasons. I do some hiking, and I understand that there is nothing like a nice walk in the woods. If I were booted out of the woods by hunters, I would probably eventually develop a very intense dislike for hunters. Also, those sunny, colorful days of fall are some of the favorites of the bikers and hikers and also right smack into the bow season. We are all taxpayers. So, like I say ..... I have mixed feelings about kicking one group of people out of the woods in favor of another group.

As far as gun season, those people really are not out there. They are scared to death of us I guess ..... lol.

Cornell does something smart (odd for cornell), the state land they manage near ithaca is off limits to non-hunters during deer season. makes for a much safer hunting area.

You refering to Arnot Forest? Still only open by DNR's approval & sign-in? Turkey hunted there a few times when my ex-wife was working for Cornell's DNR.

You refering to Arnot Forest? Still only open by DNR's approval & sign-in? Turkey hunted there a few times when my ex-wife was working for Cornell's DNR.

From what i gather  cornell is still a preregister, with each area (something like 26 or 27 different sections) having its own set of rules about what you can hunt, and how. We stopped hunting there a few years back because of different rules for different sections, it got a bit too confusing so we left. But if you want meat for the freezer there are sections you can take i thinks its up to 2 doe a day, so it does create some great options for feeding the family! Just have to learn the rules, and know what sections are what.

I really have mixed feelings about that. It is amazingly frustrating to have several hours invested in an evening hunt and then have a group of bikers roll by laughing and yelling back and forth to each other. Even at 100 or 200 yards, they wake up the whole woods.

But I too have interests other than hunting and know how aggravated I would be at hunters if I was shut down during all of the hunting seasons. I do some hiking, and I understand that there is nothing like a nice walk in the woods. If I were booted out of the woods by hunters, I would probably eventually develop a very intense dislike for hunters. Also, those sunny, colorful days of fall are some of the favorites of the bikers and hikers and also right smack into the bow season. We are all taxpayers. So, like I say ..... I have mixed feelings about kicking one group of people out of the woods in favor of another group.

As far as gun season, those people really are not out there. They are scared to death of us I guess ..... lol.

I look at it as everybody taking their turn, hunters for 1/3 of the year other outdoor activities the other 2/3s. plus many non-hunters (or hunters for that matter) dont understand the concept of orange during hunting season, so its just safer keeping the 2 activities seperate.

Unfortunately, there is no official division of time use in the normal public lands. And so we find the woods flooded with all kinds of conflicting uses during bow season. I have yet to see anyone using the state lands for anything other than hunting during the gun season ..... yet. I think gun season has a very undeserved perception of being unsafe, and maybe that's good. Ha-ha ... but nobody's afraid of bowhunters. It's kind of pathetic, but still makes me break out laughing watching these guys prancing through the woods like some kind of a gazelle, dressed in their little flourescent spandex shirts and shorts through the middle of the top of the hill. It is a bit weird when you're not used to it.

But anyway back to the topic of the future hunting, I do believe that this sort of thing will definitely increase as the rest of the population figures out more varieties and intensities of state land usage. It may have already happened that some state lands have been installing some primitive ski slopes, or openening up snowmobile usage. It may be only a matter of time before ATV trails are established in some of the state lands. Picnic and camping facilities may take over some of the prime hunting spots. Those that are struggling to find hunting land who have finally resorted to state lands may not always be very satisfied with what state lands have to offer in the future.

Yeah, that's just a bunch of theorizing, but it is not imagination that is not backed up with at least some initial examples that we can point to right now.

Hunting in 50 years, wow could be one of the most necessary functions in life way before that. When exactly did hunting become a sport, i think the transition started when i was a kid back in the 60s. And if it becomes a necessity again will people stop bashing us for it?

If hunting ever becomes a universal necessity, I'm sure we will all starve to death. The woods could never take that kind of intensive pressure with the quantity and density of today's population.

Hunting in 50 years, wow could be one of the most necessary functions in life way before that. When exactly did hunting become a sport, i think the transition started when i was a kid back in the 60s. And if it becomes a necessity again will people stop bashing us for it?

It really is kind of a necessity.. hunting is the only proven method of controling and managing animal populations.. so although not a necessity from a personal standpoint.. necessary as a conservation tool.

If hunting ever becomes a universal necessity, I'm sure we will all starve to death. The woods could never take that kind of intensive pressure with the quantity and density of today's population.

yes but if you opened up nyc to hunting, one of those subway rats could feed a family for a week!

It really is kind of a necessity.. hunting is the only proven method of controling and managing animal populations.. so although not a necessity from a personal standpoint.. necessary as a conservation tool.

Lol ..... I think the scenario that Sits wa alluding to involved conditions where wildlife management and conservation would be a forgotten concern.

I think part of huntings popularity drop is the lack of necessity. But as Doc stated if it ever becomes that needed part of life again the deer numbers couldnt sustain that need for long with population growth in upstate NY. All depends on what degree of necessity. Back in the 60s we were a poorer nation and putting that deer, and a bunch of bunnies in a freezer really helped out. Seems like we are headed for a slow and steady decline(I hope not), no telling what the future might bring for our sport. But one thing for sure, we face alot of obstacles either way right?

From a technology standpoint I dont know, I see walkie talkies are obsolete, heck im even texting my hunting partners in the field now.

I'm guessing many of us will be long gone before too much changes for us... the next generation of hunters though... only time will tell.

One thing I have noticed is that each generation of hunters evolve into something that finds ways of coping with the diminishing state of hunting. So inspite of all the ugly scenarios that we can imagine, hunting most likely will evolve into something that is compatible with whatever it has to be to accomodate whatever conditions exist at the time. I just hope future hunters somehow remain as resilient as we have. Hunting off in the future may not be anything that we would recognize, but hopefully it will be whatever it needs to be to survive.

I'm guessing many of us will be long gone before too much changes for us... the next generation of hunters though... only time will tell.

I hope to do what I can to preserve for my son and possible future grandchildren. All to often we dismiss issues because they're not hear and now and will not affect us. We have past generations to thank for our polluted lakes and streams and horrible debt ridden govt. I'd like to hope we can be envied and praised for leaving the next generation a better world to live in and not the opposite.

I hope to do what I can to preserve for my son and possible future grandchildren. All to often we dismiss issues because they're not hear and now and will not affect us. We have past generations to thank for our polluted lakes and streams and horrible debt ridden govt. I'd like to hope we can be envied and praised for leaving the next generation a better world to live in and not the opposite.

That's nice, but there does come a time when the next generation has to pick up the flag and continue the battle. Sure let's do what we can, but what I see is that each generation wants things in a new way that in no way represents what the older generation has been fighting for all our lives for. So, those that are impacted, and have an updated set of expectations have to at some point learn to fight the same kinds of battles that we have fought in the past. I'm not interested in saddling future generations with things that they don't even want.

I represent how hunting was ..... it is up to those who will have to live into the future to begin shaping that future and the way they want it to look like. There does come a time when the geezers (and I do put myself in that category ....lol) let go of the reins and let those who will actually be affected lead the charge to fashion their hunting and surrounding issues to look like what they want it to look like. I can serve in an advisory or historical capacity to represent what I consider the good parts of our generation's view and attitudes were (I have found that not many of the next generation are really all that interested in that sort of thing .... lol). However when it comes to the actual decisions, battles, and struggles, those rightfully rest with those that will have to live with their results. It is important that we each learn to recognize that time when our views have become obsolete and stop trying to interfere with the wave of new ideas and attitudes.

One thing I have noticed is that each generation of hunters evolve into something that finds ways of coping with the diminishing state of hunting. So inspite of all the ugly scenarios that we can imagine, hunting most likely will evolve into something that is compatible with whatever it has to be to accomodate whatever conditions exist at the time. I just hope future hunters somehow remain as resilient as we have. Hunting off in the future may not be anything that we would recognize, but hopefully it will be whatever it needs to be to survive.

I agree.. I think there will always be a group of avid hunters with the passion to find a way to continue enjoying as we do... different states will have better access than others... so traveling out of state to hunt might be the option.

That's nice, but there does come a time when the next generation has to pick up the flag and continue the battle. Sure let's do what we can, but what I see is that each generation wants things in a new way that in no way represents what the older generation has been fighting for all our lives for. So, those that are impacted, and have an updated set of expectations have to at some point learn to fight the same kinds of battles that we have fought in the past. I'm not interested in saddling future generations with things that they don't even want.

I represent how hunting was ..... it is up to those who will have to live into the future to begin shaping that future and the way they want it to look like. There does come a time when the geezers (and I do put myself in that category ....lol) let go of the reins and let those who will actually be affected lead the charge to fashion their hunting and surrounding issues to look like what they want it to look like. I can serve in an advisory or historical capacity to represent what I consider the good parts of our generation's view and attitudes were (I have found that not many of the next generation are really all that interested in that sort of thing .... lol). However when it comes to the actual decisions, battles, and struggles, those rightfully rest with those that will have to live with their results. It is important that we each learn to recognize that time when our views have become obsolete and stop trying to interfere with the wave of new ideas and attitudes.

Hope's not all lost my friend. There are people my age and younger who are doing their best to maintain tradition and history. Technology has certainly changed a lot of things in all aspects of life, and I believe it's fair to adapt and adopt some of it as improvement. But don't let a few bad apples more interested in playing Halo and Call of Duty instead of hunting ruin your perception. The love and passion for the outdoors is still there. There may not be as many people still interested in hunting, but plenty still love to hike, bike and fish. As long as we hunters can coexist with the other groups who share our passion for the woods and critters, there will be money and time devoted to protecting it. I've seen mountain bike numbers grow huge just in the last 10 years. It means more groomed trails to get us deeper into the woods and more money put into state parks and statistics to prove to the state we need to keep them maintained.

As far as how "we hunt". Short of changing equipment, hunting can still only really be a human vs an animal. Tree/ground blind/stalking. Maybe some new tech, but I'm not sure it can change drastically.

I've seen mountain bike numbers grow huge just in the last 10 years. It means more groomed trails to get us deeper into the woods and more money put into state parks and statistics to prove to the state we need to keep them maintained.

Well, just like anything, multiple use of the land can be over-done. It definitely affects the quality of the hunt when there are large areas of the woods devoted to nothing but redundant bike trails. There are huge areas of the state land that I hunt that used to be excellent deer habitat that have been laced with trails to such an extent that you cannot get out of ear-shot of them. And during the fall, they are used to the point where you will always be hearing some bikers or hikers going by. It's unbelieveable. Deer still frequent the area ...... at night.

What used to be a very pristine area of some very peaceful wooded acreage is now rutted up with bike trails, and trees splotched up with pretty brilliant yellow paint apparently because these people can't see the rutted mud trail thy are on and are in danger of getting lost ....lol. Hikers with their dogs have made good use of this maze of trails so that there always seems to be someone screaming and yelling back and forth to each other. Nothing seems to be done in moderation anymore.

Yes, I have found some spots where these trails don't go, but I will say that the majority of what used to be excellent hunting has been essentially taken out of availability for hunting and most of the remaining hunters are being crowded into smaller and smaller areas.