Another Mass Shooting...upstate NY this time.

phade

I would be okay with background checks if thats all it was... I don't need to tell them how many or what guns I'm purchasing. Nor should I have to fill out any paperwork to get checked. Just my name with identification so they can check my background. Once I check out.. that should be the end of it. But we all know that isn't where it ends... they want the paperwork, and the weapons purchased and how many... that should tell everyone what they are really up to... they need none of that to check my background.

Well now we have to identify which kind of "background checks" we are talking about. Are we speaking of gun background checks or the Ammo background checks? For those of us who buy our ammo via mail order or internet , those background checks are making that method of purchase illegal since background checks have to be done in person and with proper identification. So, if you don't like local prices and availability ..... too bad ...... you're out of luck.

As far as reloading components, I am not sure that that was included in the  new law. However, if components are also included in the background check requirement, that is pretty much a way of ending the practice of bullet reloading for anyone who does not have a local resource for a complete line of reloading components.

Because of that, I am 100% against the background checks for ammo.

I would be okay with background checks if thats all it was... I don't need to tell them how many or what guns I'm purchasing. Nor should I have to fill out any paperwork to get checked. Just my name with identification so they can check my background. Once I check out.. that should be the end of it. But we all know that isn't where it ends... they want the paperwork, and the weapons purchased and how many... that should tell everyone what they are really up to... they need none of that to check my background.

thats how I feel as well. Although I like the 4 references required for a cc permit as well. if you don't know non family members who will vouch for you, you might be some reclusive nut.

and Doc, gun only for me. Ammo background checks are a waste of everyones time and money

Edited by Belo

belo lests look at the contradictions in the different ny laws. in ny silencers, lets use the correct term surpressors, are illegal.  in any factory setting osha regulates the noise level to keep hearing damage to a minimum, yet ny will not allow you to bring the noise level of a firearm below the same level. anyone who has done any volume of shooting understands the toll this sport takes on your hearing. after 2 rounds of trap, even with double protection on, my ears will ring for hours after. if you dont like that analogy, how about your muffler falls off your car. you pass the trooper, he tickets you for a loud exhaust. you shoot with a surpressor you go to jail for not making enough noise. the gun grabbers only care about taking bits of you 2nd ammed rights until there is nothing left to take. and a reason for a 90 round drum on an ak......a great big :biggrin:

you did not just site osha laws. what you can do in the workplace, and what you do on your own are separate. If OSHA laws applied at home, you couldn't even hunt in your ladder stnand without a 5 point harness tied off to a beam tested and approved by a PE to hold 5k pounds.But what do I know? I dont' have my CSP or anything.

Anyhow, OSHA just states you must reduce the noise level belo 90dBA. All you need to do is put on some good muffs and you're fine.

Ironically in Europe where they have crazy strict gun laws I've read that they encourage the use of suppressors for hunting to cut down on "noise pollution".

europe is also about the size of the midwest and densely populated mass transit. there are few areas where there is thousands of acres to hunt.

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

Although I like the 4 references required for a cc permit as well. if you don't know non family members who will vouch for you, you might be some reclusive nut.

Or you might just be someone that doesnt pal around with many people in your county. Maybe you are just a person that doesnt have a wide circle of friends. Good lord, thats just a plain stupid, ignorant statement right there.

• Like 2

you dont have to pal around to know 4 people you work with or at least a few friends who can reference your character. Good luck getting a job as they require 4 references as well.

but hey, if you think people without any character references should be able to carry a handgun, then that's fine. It's the law right now anyhow and has been for a while.

Mind you I'm not applying this to buying a shotgun, just a CC.

you dont have to pal around to know 4 people you work with or at least a few friends who can reference your character. Good luck getting a job as they require 4 references as well.

but hey, if you think people without any character references should be able to carry a handgun, then that's fine. It's the law right now anyhow and has been for a while.

do you have a permit?  I do

1. it's 4 people in your county, most of my coworkers live in a different county

2. your references can't be related to you or each other

why do you beleive anyone has a right to tell me whether I should be able to own a gun or not, It's easier to get an out of state PA pistol permit than it is to get a permit in my home town....and no references needed

You do know that the people have to reside within the county you are applying, right? Again, what if your friends and coworkers dont live in that county?

Did I say at any point that people shouldnt have to get references? No I didnt. Id appreciate you NOT putting words into my mouth.

Or you might just be someone that doesnt pal around with many people in your county. Maybe you are just a person that doesnt have a wide circle of friends. Good lord, thats just a plain stupid, ignorant statement right there.

Or are new to the area.

Sorry... calling this a plain stupid ignorant statement, led me to insinuate you didn't blieve people should have 4 character references.

do you have a permit?  I do

1. it's 4 people in your county, most of my coworkers live in a different county

2. your references can't be related to you or each other

why do you beleive anyone has a right to tell me whether I should be able to own a gun or not, It's easier to get an out of state PA pistol permit than it is to get a permit in my home town....and no references needed

1. I am in the process right now. I agree that someone new to the area may have difficulty. I had trouble when I was in Erie, because I had just moved there and they wanted 4 from the same town, not the county.

2. If you have your permit, then you just proved your argument invalid as you were still obviously able to find 4. And yes they cant be related or LEOs.

3. I am not telling you that you cannot own a gun, I am saying that you need references to CC. I think it's fair. And why all the outrage now for a law thats been in affect for some time now? I haven't seen a thread on hear with outrage for the character references requirement. Should we not require fingerprints either? I make a statement and you all freak out.

You do know that the people have to reside within the county you are applying, right? Again, what if your friends and coworkers dont live in that county?

Did I say at any point that people shouldnt have to get references? No I didnt. Id appreciate you NOT putting words into my mouth.

please see first quote. I'd rearrange this but the new software doesn't allow me to move quotes around.

Sorry... calling this a plain stupid ignorant statement, led me to insinuate you didn't blieve people should have 4 character references.

2. If you have your permit, then you just proved your argument invalid as you were still obviously able to find 4. And yes they cant be related or LEOs.

3 of mine were LEO's, so wrong again

And that is a great example of what IS wrong with our system. The county requirements vary from one to the other. This one needs 4 with no LEO, this one can use LEO, If you haven't lived there for 3 years you need 4 from previous and 4 from current, this county requires a safety course and this one doesn't....on and on.

And that is a great example of what IS wrong with our system. The county requirements vary from one to the other. This one needs 4 with no LEO, this one can use LEO, If you haven't lived there for 3 years you need 4 from previous and 4 from current, this county requires a safety course and this one doesn't....on and on.

very true. Just like Erie will rarely give you a CC and has been challenged in court with no success.

3 of mine were LEO's, so wrong again

but again, you were able to find 4 people to vouch for your character, 3 being LEOs. I don't see what your argument is with the character references. I have a guy I work with who is an NRA instructor. We know eachother, but not outside work. He said he would only sign my permit if we spent some time out of work and some time shooting together. I thought that was a great attitude to have and if everyone had it, perhaps less irresponsible people would have handguns

Edited by Belo

but again, you were able to find 4 people to vouch for your character, 3 being LEOs. I don't see what your argument is with the character references. I have a guy I work with who is an NRA instructor. We know eachother, but not outside work. He said he would only sign my permit if we spent some time out of work and some time shooting together. I thought that was a great attitude to have and if everyone had it, perhaps less irresponsible people would have handguns

My problem is, when I moved to cayuga county with my wife, I knew nobody

still worked in another county, had lots of freinds in another county, I had to wait 3 years to move back to Tomkins county which has horrible permit laws, I might have stayed in cayuga a much better county, had I been able to get my permit there

the whole permit process is BS

I think many have an issue of setting the bar to exercize of a right under the label of a certain level of "responsibility". That is the justification of the interview process and the whole permit process leave to much to the county's feeling. I deal with hiring people all the time. Not very often a person puts a reference that doesn't give them a glowing report. Personally i think the reference portion of the permit process is a waste of time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just moved from Clinton County to Essex County.  I first got my permit in Clinton County in 1982 and back then there were all sorts of restrictions, like you can only use the handgun for target practice, plinking, hunting, fishing etc.  Mostly this was due the judge that was in "office" at the time.  Now, when I transferred my permit, the questionnaire that Essex county sent me asked what king of permit I wanted.  Well, I marked FULL CARRY, CONCEALED, NO RESTRICTIONS........

Yesterday I picked up my permit and voila.........full carry  - no restrictions.