Can you build a legal NY Safe AR-15

Want to make sure there's not a provision saying that possessing all the parts still counts even if they're not assembled though.  If you own a semi-auto of anything and possess the parts to convert it to full auto it still counts as an unregistered full-auto even if not assembled.

Huh?

there are a couple of companies the sell 80% hand guns. aresarmor.com makes a 1911 80%er. bare casting, drill pin holes, finish the slide rails (all this done with a purchasable jig), assemble with your favorite parts kit and you have a 1911. since the frame is a bare casting there is no serial number. Ive also seen plans for a liberator pistol. home built in a similar manor as the home built ak's. print the plan, glue it to some sheet metal cut, fold, drill on the lines and you have a liberator frame. federal law of '68 allows this to be legal (for personal use, not for sale) but what do you think the new york stance is? no number so how do you register it? would you need a permit to have it in your home? this is all speculation of course.

Want to make sure there's not a provision saying that possessing all the parts still counts even if they're not assembled though. If you own a semi-auto of anything and possess the parts to convert it to full auto it still counts as an unregistered full-auto even if not assembled.

The parts are illegal in the case of a full auto conversion. In order to own, say, a lightning link (converts an AR15 to select fire with the right lower, buffer, etc) you have that part registered and licensed with ATF, not every AR you own just because you have that.

there are a couple of companies the sell 80% hand guns. aresarmor.com makes a 1911 80%er. bare casting, drill pin holes, finish the slide rails (all this done with a purchasable jig), assemble with your favorite parts kit and you have a 1911. since the frame is a bare casting there is no serial number. Ive also seen plans for a liberator pistol. home built in a similar manor as the home built ak's. print the plan, glue it to some sheet metal cut, fold, drill on the lines and you have a liberator frame. federal law of '68 allows this to be legal (for personal use, not for sale) but what do you think the new york stance is? no number so how do you register it? would you need a permit to have it in your home? this is all speculation of course.

I would almost guarantee any pistol with no serial is illegal, besides maybe, and I stress maybe an antique.

The parts are illegal in the case of a full auto conversion. In order to own, say, a lightning link (converts an AR15 to select fire with the right lower, buffer, etc) you have that part registered and licensed with ATF, not every AR you own just because you have that.

Just using the full-auto thing as an example because you can't own them here. 

Do you remember the case a few years back where the ATF was trying to classify a shoestring or some such thing as some sort of full-auto conversion?  I'll see if I can find it.

I dont remember that one. Thats the thing though, the conversion kit is illegal, not the rifle to put it in. A lightning link is just a tab of steel bent in a particular manor. Costs you $500 a year to own that little piece of metal in a state that allows it IIRC. Certain classes of FFLs in NY can own and deal in full autos.

• 1 month later...
Howdy all..first post.You are not even allowed to make the AR15 lower in NYS: This little law covers 80% lowers

or the idea of making a magazine with a 3d printer

S 265.10 Manufacture, transport, disposition and defacement of weapons and dangerous instruments and appliances. 1. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any machine-gun, assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or disguised gun is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any switchblade knife, gravity knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, Kung Fu star, chuka stick, sandbag, sandclub or slungshot is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

I'd also be careful with the idea of thinking you are not in violation if you have the parts but not put them together. They have this neat little law called "constructive possession" Which I fear they can warp into meaning if you have the parts under your domain, you can easily put them together and have an illegal weapon.

I'm not a lawyer

Howdy all..first post.You are not even allowed to make the AR15 lower in NYS: This little law covers 80% lowers

or the idea of making a magazine with a 3d printer

S 265.10 Manufacture, transport, disposition and defacement of weapons and dangerous instruments and appliances. 1. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any machine-gun, assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or disguised gun is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any switchblade knife, gravity knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, Kung Fu star, chuka stick, sandbag, sandclub or slungshot is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

I'd also be careful with the idea of thinking you are not in violation if you have the parts but not put them together. They have this neat little law called "constructive possession" Which I fear they can warp into meaning if you have the parts under your domain, you can easily put them together and have an illegal weapon.

I'm not a lawyer

HOLY @#$$# So im guilty am i???? Come and take it cumo!!!

Well just found out, you can still build a AR15 in NY if it has not evil features.You can install the HammerHead, and the company has consulted with James Tresmond.

NEW YORK STATE CUSTOMERS: We have confirmed with the state of New York via our attorney (Tresmond Law of Hamburg NY) that a rifle with our Hammerhead AR-15 Stock Adapter when permanently attached to the rifle and with a buttstock attached to the rear threads of this product (Type I or Type II config) and no other NY-SAFE prohibited features is considered a sporting rifle and no registration under NY-SAFE would be required.  Permanence can be achieved by simply epoxying the Hammerhead Stock Adapter to your rifle.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-stock-adapter-1.html

Well just found out, you can still build a AR15 in NY if it has not evil features.You can install the HammerHead, and the company has consulted with James Tresmond.

NEW YORK STATE CUSTOMERS: We have confirmed with the state of New York via our attorney (Tresmond Law of Hamburg NY) that a rifle with our Hammerhead AR-15 Stock Adapter when permanently attached to the rifle and with a buttstock attached to the rear threads of this product (Type I or Type II config) and no other NY-SAFE prohibited features is considered a sporting rifle and no registration under NY-SAFE would be required.  Permanence can be achieved by simply epoxying the Hammerhead Stock Adapter to your rifle.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-stock-adapter-1.html

Interesting

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD