RAGE guys

WhitetailAddict11

RAGE a good choice for a noob?

Depends on the poundage your pulling. I shot a small buck last year at 57 yards and had a complete pass through, so I have no real issues with penetration unless you hit bone. I pull around 65 pounds. You could also use the lower 40 KE Rage for lighter poundage. Also the quiver makes a huge difference cant be pushing the heads in foam, you won't like the outcome.

Usually everyone here rants n raves for cut on contact heads lol. For a long time thought I was the only rage guy haha

mechanicals have come a long way. but when i started bow hunting 6 years ago they're what i started with and have never hunted with anything else. I've never lost a deer and all my family have had great success with them as well.

but honestly, it's mostly about shot placement. you can kill a deer with just about anything, but i view the increased diameter as simply increasing my odds if my shot is poor.

• Like 1

but honestly, it's mostly about shot placement. you can kill a deer with just about anything, but i view the increased diameter as simply increasing my odds if my shot is poor.

I prefer more cutting surface, as in three blade muzzy's, I don't think Rage has any thing over any other BH on the market when you do the math. 3 7/8" (2 5/8") blades VS a 2 1/4" Rage. Nothing wrong with Rag at all.

heres kind of a cool video

has a 4 blade muzzy in it... any test video you see on the net with a rage vs a fixed yields pretty mush the same results, the rage empties out any bottle quicker then any other head tested. i have evern seen videos where they have shoulder replicas out of gel with actual bone inside and it shows how good the rage will penetrate compared to a fixed. like Belo said, mechanicals came a long ways. i pretty much have only used mechanicals, i started out with rockets once upon a time. 

go to about 2 min, kind of graphic... 

opens em up, ive used many types of fixed heads and they dont do this lol

I did, I hit the off shoulder of a doe 2 seasons ago when I bought my MR5. The shoulder was busted up pretty good. The arrow found its way through and completed a pass through. Broke 2 ribs going in also on that shot. I've clean cut 2-3 ribs in and out on a few other shots no prob.

heres kind of a cool video

has a 4 blade muzzy in it... any test video you see on the net with a rage vs a fixed yields pretty mush the same results, the rage empties out any bottle quicker then any other head tested. i have evern seen videos where they have shoulder replicas out of gel with actual bone inside and it shows how good the rage will penetrate compared to a fixed. like Belo said, mechanicals came a long ways. i pretty much have only used mechanicals, i started out with rockets once upon a time. 

go to about 2 min, kind of graphic... 

opens em up, ive used many types of fixed heads and they dont do this lol

that first video is probably the most unscientific thing i've ever seen lol. And why he knocks the rage because he can't "shoot it again" is laughable. I would never use any broadhead twice and if you're looking to save money you can buy extra bands and blades.

tough to watch that second video. It's always nicer when they die out of view. Such a beautiful animal...

Edited by Belo

that first video is probably the most unscientific thing i've ever seen lol. And why he knocks the rage because he can't "shoot it again" is laughable. I would never use any broadhead twice and if you're looking to save money you can buy extra bands and blades.

tough to watch that second video. It's always nicer when they die out of view. Such a beautiful animal...

You wouldnt resharpen a G5 Montec or other blade that is able to be sharpened, and use it again?

• Like 1

some parts of the video were funny

i just like to see how fast it empties out the jug of water but his fixed head was shot through a soda bottle which wasnt the same comparison

My biggest problem with the rage craze is the picture that is painted on less than idea shots and claims of recovery, massive holes and blood trails.  I often wonder how many get this picture painted in there heads and think because they have a rage they can take less than optimal shots on deer.  No broadhead will compensate for the decision to make a bad shot knowing it was a bad choice to release the arrow with false high expectations of a recovery.  A tuned bow, tuned arrows, razor sharp broadheads, knowing your limitations on shot placement, distance, deer body language, shot placement, angles, yardage,practice, practice, and practice is the answer in my opinion not a brand name. For this picture that is painted I will never shoot a rage or support them.

I generally buy new heads cheap on AT so I don't often reuse a BH...but I see no concerns with re-sharpening certain heads and for others, buying replacement blades, washers, springs, etc.

Just because it is new doesn't mean you are good to go. You should spin test to make sure they are true.

• Like 1

$45 for 3 heads isnt a "few bucks" for me, and you can resharpen them better than the factory does with nothing more than a flat stone. Some people just like too blow money I guess, whatever floats your boat!

let me clarify. You can buy replacement blades and o-rings for the rage. Still not as cheap as resharpening, I guess I just like the comfort of knowing it's not been nicked, dented or deformed even slightly that might not be visible to my eye. The kits are not $45, but even so I shoot maybe 2 deer with a bow each year. So $45 for 2-3 years of deer? that's really not thatttt bad.

Nah but Im cheap. I have $45 worth of broadheads that should last me for the forseeable future. Its easy to see if they are bent, etc. I shot 2 of them through deer last year, they will get resharpened and be back in the quiver again this year. One will be on the arrow Ive sent through 4 deer so far.

Seriously, you guys should check out AT classifieds in like Jan-June...people unload new BH all the time. I have bought so many Grim Reapers for way less than retail brand new. I got 5 new ones in Feb for $29 shipped.

People try, switch brands/models, so often that AT has steals. I haven't bought a pack of heads new in a store in 3 years now, and I could go probably another three with the stockpile I now have that I spend MAYBE $85 dollars on total. I used to average about 4-5 bow deer a season, but have slowed down on my doe take lately.

Nah but Im cheap. I have $45 worth of broadheads that should last me for the forseeable future. Its easy to see if they are bent, etc. I shot 2 of them through deer last year, they will get resharpened and be back in the quiver again this year. One will be on the arrow Ive sent through 4 deer so far.

i disagree about them being easy to see. You pay good money for a rage head because of their tolerances. Takes special equipment to see minor diflections. Call me anal, but I want to know my arrows flying as straight as it can. But this is a guy who spent $170 on carbon express maxima kv arrows. so some could say I've gone off the deep end. A straight stick could kill a deer :)

i disagree about them being easy to see. You pay good money for a rage head because of their tolerances. Takes special equipment to see minor diflections. Call me anal, but I want to know my arrows flying as straight as it can. But this is a guy who spent $170 on carbon express maxima kv arrows. so some could say I've gone off the deep end. A straight stick could kill a deer :)

SPIN THE ARROW. It'll show out of round....

Just because something is expensive doesnt mean its a guarantee its perfect by any means.  Im anal as well when it comes to my bowhunting and I have bought all sorts of shaft and broadheads over the years.  I can tell you I find atleast 1 out of every six arrows brand new out of the box no matter what brand it is to be bad.  Spin test, water test etc and one always always is not up to my standards.  Never rely on cost or claims of specs to be good enough.  I also like WNYB shoot G5's now and have for years.  It is not all that hard unless you have like 80/80 eyesight to see knicks or a spin test for a bent head.  What would worry me far more than a head I inspected resharpend and that has taken multiple deer is a stupid rubber band or some other mind boggling simple device to lock a set of razors in place while in flight and hope like heck it depolys on contact.  No thanks I know my G5's cut on contact are razor sharp, nick and bent free and there is no second guessing a rubber band to not fail or a head not deploy.  When someone spends the time to properly tune there bow, arrows and broadheads, get there FOC right a fixed blade will be deadly accurate shot after shot.  WIth a mechanical head there is more tolerance for imperfection on tuning which in my mind also takes away performance from a piece of equipment we all spend a ton of money on and demand reliability and accuracy out of.  That is I think the biggest selling factor with mechanicals, I hear guys all the time say how pinpoint accurate they are and when they shoot a fixed blade they are all over the place.  Its normally not the broadhead its the un-tuned equipment. 

• Like 1