Just got back...

Deerthug

With my son and his Boy Scout troop 253 on his first overnight camping trip and my first in 35 years at Camp Seton Greenwich CT. It brought back so many great memories. It was cold last night and this morning. Thank God for thermals and hot coffee.

My son standing in front of a tent he helped pitch.

post-1257-0-67511300-1366568884_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-90398900-1366569246_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-32534200-1366568964_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-39420300-1366568995_thumb.jp

Never thought I'd see my son doing KP duty

post-1257-0-19388300-1366569056_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very cool.... I remember going on winter (dead of winter) scout  camp outs as a kid... Then, years later,  bringing my son (when he was in scouts) and staying in the very   same cabins that I stayed  in 35 years earlier. Good deal for you and your son...

Edited by ants

It certainly was a great time. Only downside was sleeping on the ground. I used my brother's subzero mummy bag and a pad. But the ground was cold and damp eventhough I footprinted my tent with an extra tarp. Forgot that I am 46 and not 12 years old anymore. A lot more difficult sleeping on the ground now. LOL! Going to be picking up a folding cot, and a self inflating mat for the next trip.

Fun times when you can get a group of kids camping out and away from technology for any amount of time. I am also in my forties and decided an air matress is required for these old bones. We still go the route of tent camping though.

My son told me last night at camp that he liked camping better than being on x-box. Needless to say my mouth was left agape.

After my sons first week at summer camp, there was no more complaining at the dinner table. he took his hat off, sat down and ate what was served without complaint or comment! Scouting has been such a good influence on him!

I think the influence is rubbing off...After dinner tonight he offered to wash dishes - I hope this mentality lasts......

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 1