So I made a mock scrape

luberhill

I read to not wait do it now ,

so yesterday 5pm I took a garden rake , pc of rope and made a scrape between two trees , tied a rope and zip tied a pc of vine hanging down.

Then peed in it

Now less than 24 hrs ! 
Not big bucks but …

CA4BC651-7069-4BF5-87C4-DEFBFD71E0EB.png

DC655F33-3628-43E6-9F2F-69E3C8D1A737.png

37E10E60-F0A8-4A33-9870-718C989CCE1B.png

3D5323DC-CA03-4696-8776-5EC7B6FAB9DA.png

Edited by luberhill
  • Like 2

I kinda disagree with doing a mock scrape this early but don't think it will hurt. Lots of doe, fawn and small bucks might hit it this early but for hunting purposes I would wait till September when patterns change. 

I say this from mock scrape experiences. To many doe and fawn and larger bucks will avoid the traffic. Really fun for trail cams and deer inventory though. Good luck and hope you get great results! 

3 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

I kinda disagree with doing a mock scrape this early but don't think it will hurt. Lots of doe, fawn and small bucks might hit it this early but for hunting purposes I would wait till September when patterns change. 

I say this from mock scrape experiences. To many doe and fawn and larger bucks will avoid the traffic. Really fun for trail cams and deer inventory though. Good luck and hope you get great results! 

Humm well I watched a few big buck hunters videos and they said do not wait , July is perfect.. something about scaring away the big boys waiting till closer to fall ??

• Like 1

Yes that's what I think happens but I bet we watched many of the same videos.  Just my personal experiences and I believe advice from whitetail solutions but I might have my YouTube videos mixed up. 

He talks about bigger bucks not wanting to do with scent checking and doe/fawn traffic till much close to breeding season. 

For your sake I hope  wrong and you get some booners on cam then harvest one.

• Like 1

• luberhill changed the title to So I made a mock scrape

Great experiment.

Buck follow doe and if doe are visiting your mock scrape daily, I'm sure bucks will be more apt to visit it too. 

I'm going to do the same at my property upstate and see what happens.

Edited by Shoots100

IMO the accumulation of scent is a positive thing.  I've heard all of his "doe factory" theories and I understand what he's getting at, but I don't think it applies here.  The biggest deer I've ever got a picture of used a mock scrape multiple times.  First couple times were at night in August and September, then again in daylight during gun season.  

If he finds the scrape, chances are he will visit again when he's in the area.  He may not want to live with a bunch of does & fawns, but he's still going to want to know where to find them when the rut is on.  Also, all big bucks aren't the same.

Just another thing that Mr. "Doe Factory"/ "Drink Glyphosate" and I don't agree on.

Mature bucks know when it’s time to start the proceedings. They might check it out if walking by on their normal routine but those special bucks won’t put much stock into any scent until they start smelling the changes in the ladies. Won’t hurt for sure as long as you don’t have to go in and scent up the area with bad scent very often.