Wild boar / feral pigs?

Fantail

I live near, hunt in and know several landowners in the area and don't bother to try targeting them.

Knocking on doors will be wasted effort for the most part - especilly if looking to bowhunt them.

There is some state land around there where they are seen occasionaly.

They are out there, but still pretty rare and move around a lot.

They have plenty of people they know (not talking about me) that door knockers (or worse) they don't are becoming less appreciated all the time. Go for it if you like - just telling you how it actually is. Not trying to discourage anyone from wasting time out of any self interest - I have  places I could go to hunt them specifically if I choose to do so - but do not.

Just wanted to be clear I didn't have any agenda.

The problem is there is not a lot of them and they constantly are on the move from food source to food source. See them today and tomorrow they are miles away.

Like I said, go ahead and try. But as far as I can tell the landowners view the influx of new hunters to be as much or more of a problem then the few pigs out there.

Just wanted to be clear I didn't have any agenda.

The problem is there is not a lot of them and they constantly are on the move from food source to food source. See them today and tomorrow they are miles away.

Like I said, go ahead and try. But as far as I can tell the landowners view the influx of new hunters to be as much or more of a problem then the few pigs out there.

If landowners wait until these things are common everyday residents of their property, they will be unwitting accomplices to establishment of an environmental disaster that will impact their use and enjoyment of their own land forever. I don't doubt that there are a lot of landowners with that kind of short-sightedness. Unfortunately, if they are not willing or able to eradicate these critters from getting established on their property themselves, I would hope that they would not only welcome those that are willing to help, but actually go out of their way to solicit help at solving the problem before there winds up no solution to it at all. Well, that's what we would hope, but the reality of it all is more likely what you have stated. Until they actually see the environmental damage first hand (which is usually too late), they will continue to view hunters as being the greater evil than the hogs.

Doc

Where did I say anyone was waiting?????? I'll try to be even clearer - they ARE HANDLING the "problem" for the mostpart just fine by themselves and with those that hunt their land already shooting any they see. Most make their living on the land and are not hiding or blind to anything. They are the ones with the most to lose, are aware of it and are dealing with it. And they are doing it without throwing their land open to anyone in the state that thinks going to Homer to chase piggies would be great fun or a noble service to the poor dumb inept farmers. That is the "reality".

Where did I say anyone was waiting? ??? ?? I'll try to be even clearer - they ARE HANDLING the "problem" for the mostpart just fine by themselves and with those that hunt their land already shooting any they see. Most make their living on the land and are not hiding or blind to anything. They are the ones with the most to lose, are aware of it and are dealing with it. And they are doing it without throwing their land open to anyone in the state that thinks going to Homer to chase piggies would be great fun or a noble service to the poor dumb inept farmers. That is the "reality".

If those guys are able to handle the problem by themselves, they will be the first that I have ever heard of that could. As I understand it, even with totally open hunting, it is nearly impossible to eradicate the things. And as a matter of fact, the fact that they are now starting to show up in many different parts of the state sort of indicates that there are a lot more of these farmers who think they can handle the situation on their own than there are farmers that can actually do it.

Doc

As I understand it, even with totally open hunting, it is nearly impossible to eradicate the things.

Then why on earth should they just open their land to all who think they are the savior, when in fact it will have little to no effect beyond what they are doing???????????

As I understand it, even with totally open hunting, it is nearly impossible to eradicate the things.

Then why on earth should they just open their land to all who think they are the savior, when in fact it will have little to no effect beyond what they are doing? ??? ??? ??? ?

What in the devil are you arguing about? do you just argue to see your words in print? For crying out loud what is so amazingly controversial about saying that it is in the best interest of farmers to enlist whatever help they can find to eradicate an environmental disaster before it gets a toe-hold. I honestly don't understand what it is that has your shorts in such a bunch about what I am saying. You seem to be awfully up-tight on the subject. Maybe I missed something along the way, but your reaction seems to be way out of proportion. Could you clarify the big attitude that you have adopted on this topic?

Doc

The funny thing is ,I've heard guys say it would be great to have a tastey animal you could hunt all year.And at any time. The thing is they don't breed like deer. They breed like rats. I wish i still had the video on the damage they do. It is unreal. And they also become another predator for deer. They have been known to kill and eat fawns,turkey nests,grouse nests Any thing that lays eggs on the ground basically. Imagine their sniffer.They rout into the ground  to a foot or more to get food. All the native animals we enjoy to hunt. Would be moved out of the way for these things. I will kill them by any means if you ask me.Piglets,sows,boars wouldn't care. On my buddies land in south carolina,they tried a foodplot once. Luckily their deer don't have to endure a winter like ours do. And the deer down there are mainly browsers he said.Anything over 3 feet up. Just imagine those nice acorn covered ridges gone! fruit orchards gone! And having to worry about going to or leaving your stand in the dark.    It certainly is a reality. And as it what stated. They are in few numbers now. They are eating machines and would be harder to keep track of with less numbers. But for anyone that does see them I'd shoot as many as you can. Our agriculture will go down the crapper. And we will lose even more farms in the state. Their population can triple in a year.