Upstate NY Tragedy

Deerthug

Its so sad. Heart goes out to the families. The first thing that crossed my mind is there is no way 4 adults and 4 children including 2 toddlers could possibly have been belted in safely in a mini van. I see way to many children who are not properly secured. Rear facing in a car seat until three. The harness needs to be snug with the chest clip above the sternum. Also the car seat should not have any play to it. 5 pt harnesses for children under 5 and a booster until 7 or 8. If the kids chest strap doesn't cross the middle of the chest they need a booster.

Is that a common thing to have trailers coming loose from the truck? I never heard of that before. And then the trailer was loaded with crushed cars. Imagine seeing something like that coming at you.

Its so sad. Heart goes out to the families. The first thing that crossed my mind is there is no way 4 adults and 4 children including 2 toddlers could possibly have been belted in safely in a mini van. I see way to many children who are not properly secured. Rear facing in a car seat until three. The harness needs to be snug with the chest clip above the sternum. Also the car seat should not have any play to it. 5 pt harnesses for children under 5 and a booster until 7 or 8. If the kids chest strap doesn't cross the middle of the chest they need a booster.

from what I read, they could have been strapped in and covered in bubble wrap and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I haul fuel tankers and seeing any type of hauler cause a wreck like this really upsets any driver. There's only 2 things that could have happened. Either he high hooked on the kingpin or the 5th wheel jaws were defective and broke..which is VERY uncommon. High hooking is much more common. All that takes is a lazy SOB not taking 1 second to bend over while walking by to make sure the trailer is sitting flush on top of the 5th wheel plate. Hauling fuel tankers that reach 108 thousand pounds is dangerous enough and to make a good living I have to move quick and keep rolling all day long but I never rush a proper pre trip before rolling out the yard. If the investigation proves it was the drivers fault that man should never be allowed to step foot in another motor vehicle regardless of size or type

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3