This Past weekend

biggamefish

So I was out checking out some new terrain this weekend and I couldn't belive the amount of rubs and scrapes.  Some of the scrapes were beat.  They weren't huge but really pawed up.  I saw a couple of deer and walked into the woods where they were and swear I smelled a buck.  Just gives me more reasons to look forward to this weekend.  Saturday can't get here fast enough.  I just hope it doesn't rain like they said it might.

Hunt in the rain even if it is pouring.  I don't see how people do this in bow season.  I know they have the stuff to sit out inthe rain and not get wet but say you make a marginable shot, that blood trail doesn't get better with rain.  Plus I have shot deer and made a lung shot just high and had a shit blood trail for 100 yards and that was when it was sunny and dry out.  I am not telling that you can't hunt but if it is pouring out I am not out there bow hunting.  Gun hunting is a totally different story.

Hunt in the rain even if it is pouring.  I don't see how people do this in bow season.  I know they have the stuff to sit out inthe rain and not get wet but say you make a marginable shot, that blood trail doesn't get better with rain.  Plus I have shot deer and made a lung shot just high and had a shit blood trail for 100 yards and that was when it was sunny and dry out.  I am not telling that you can't hunt but if it is pouring out I am not out there bow hunting.  Gun hunting is a totally different story.

I agree! I'm not afraid of getting wet and I have rain gear. My concern is the blood trail!

Exactly the reason I don't hunt in the rain. I have had a very unhappy experience watching the blood trail dissipate right before my eyes. Fortunately a circling search pattern turned up the body, but the actual blood trail was completely gone.

The rain was pretty light when I shot, but as is often the case, that was just the beginning of a serious downpour that washed away ALL sign. I count myself pretty lucky to have been able to have collected that deer.

Doc

Its raining sideways down here on Long Island! Hopefully the forecast is correct for the weekend, no rain but wind.

Have the opportunity to hunt ML in the Northern Zone on private property but my wife would have a cow if I went now considering how much I have been bitching about the pain in my shoulder. Shooting a bow is still out of the question now.Two percocets would probably eliminate the pain but carrying a loaded firearm afield or trying to shoot a bow would be stupid and selfish on my part.

Gotta go to Plan B, that is; when I think of one. Opening day for me is weeks away and it is killing me!

Good luck to all and be safe!

Yeah I agree not bowhunting in the rain for fear of losing the trail in case of a marginal hit or liver hit.  Right when the rain ends the deer will be moving and Ill be out there.  Its raining right now and supposed to rain all day friday and friday night into sat morn.  Those deer should be hungry on opening day!!  good luck every one

I don't understand why it would be okay to hunt in the rain with a gun but not a bow.  True, a gun can break bones etc, but a deer, even heart or lung shot, is going to run just as far as if hit there with a gun as it will a bow.  In fact, I would venture to say even less blood is likely with a gun hit, so I don't follow that logic.  I like to hunt in the rain and have taken 2 deer while doing so.  True, the blood trailing is an issue, but most of us have to hunt when our jobs and other responsibilities allow, so I'm usually out there no matter what the weather.  One of the reasons I like to hunt in the rain is that it will cover up the scent I leave going into my stand and helps to knock it down while on stand.  All this being said, I don't like to hunt in a downpour.  Its just too uncomfortable and in a downpour, I get wet no matter what type of rain gear I'm wearing.  In a downpour, I think the deer tend to hunker down as well, but I like to be out there as soon as it stops.  During the rut, I think bucks like to freshen their scrapes after a heavy rain.

I find that with a gun in MY experience they have more shock value than a bow when it comes down to knocking something down.  By shock I mean energy that rips and tears things apart.  Not to mention a second shot if there is a chance.  Don't get me wrong I hunt with the attitude that you only need one shot but it is way easier to take two shot with a gun. 

Things go wrong with both gun and bow hunting but is seems bow hunting is a little more touchy with shot placment.  Just my opinion though.