Please help yourself and your friends that wish to have more time to hunt!

Tinlodge

Some day he may find him/herself sitting at home during bow season unable to use standard archery gear...wishing to be out there so bad.  No this is NY and because you can still blow throu a straw...We can't allow you to use a crossbow to enjoy your passion once again!???

Don't be so quick and narrow minded members of the anti crossbow revolution.  You are closer than you think to being forced to give up your passion, your recreation, your love of bowhunting!

a simple slip, fall, twist or seemingly harmless illness can put you in my shoes...From enjoying the ups and downs of hunting with bow and arrow anywhere I could find public land and a tag to the realization that without the use of a crossbow I may never have that opportunity ever again!  

This tiny little organization such as the NY Bowhunters wants to take that away from me?  Why?  Thats your deer?  Its your land I'll be hunting? I now hold my bow along the horizon instead of along the Axis poles?  I release my broadhead with a trigger?  Really?

No its about greed plain and simple!  Again the narrow mindedness of you is going to hurt your season in the long run...Crossbows will become law and when they do my fellow bowhunters you can accept it and share the woods with your fellow bowman or you can fight it and in the end you lose!!

There are boatloads of bowhunters with situations like mine being forced every year to step away from hunting.  Just look at the license rates they surly are not climbing!  Either through aging or injuries and the crossbow is the obvious choice to spark a dwindling flame.  Getting my fellow hunters back out into the woods!  

If you think you are going to take away my love of the outdoors and hunting with a bow...crossbow you are wrong!  I am a bow hunter and I need to hunt with a crossbow!  Now let me and my fellow crossbow hunters HUNT!!!

Matt 

OP, NY

very, very few anti-crossbow members are against hunters with disabilities being able to use them or for making the process easier to obtain permission. But never say never when a disability presents itself

I've seen him speak in person twice now

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/06/14/warrior-games-mark-obrien-salute-troops

Some day he may find him/herself sitting at home during bow season unable to use standard archery gear...wishing to be out there so bad.  No this is NY and because you can still blow throu a straw...We can't allow you to use a crossbow to enjoy your passion once again!???

Don't be so quick and narrow minded members of the anti crossbow revolution.  You are closer than you think to being forced to give up your passion, your recreation, your love of bowhunting!

a simple slip, fall, twist or seemingly harmless illness can put you in my shoes...From enjoying the ups and downs of hunting with bow and arrow anywhere I could find public land and a tag to the realization that without the use of a crossbow I may never have that opportunity ever again!  

This tiny little organization such as the NY Bowhunters wants to take that away from me?  Why?  Thats your deer?  Its your land I'll be hunting? I now hold my bow along the horizon instead of along the Axis poles?  I release my broadhead with a trigger?  Really?

No its about greed plain and simple!  Again the narrow mindedness of you is going to hurt your season in the long run...Crossbows will become law and when they do my fellow bowhunters you can accept it and share the woods with your fellow bowman or you can fight it and in the end you lose!!

There are boatloads of bowhunters with situations like mine being forced every year to step away from hunting.  Just look at the license rates they surly are not climbing!  Either through aging or injuries and the crossbow is the obvious choice to spark a dwindling flame.  Getting my fellow hunters back out into the woods!  

If you think you are going to take away my love of the outdoors and hunting with a bow...crossbow you are wrong!  I am a bow hunter and I need to hunt with a crossbow!  Now let me and my fellow crossbow hunters HUNT!!!

Matt 

OP, NY

First I'm not a NYB member!! Second I'm disabled and can not shoot a bow anylonger!! You guy's make the NYB out to be some kind of big bad boggie man when in fact there are many more sportsmaen and women out the that feel that X-Bows are not archery. Third I do believe that those that have a disabilty that prevents them from drawing a bow  should be able to use one if they so choose. It's just not for me!!!! I feel that the challange of hunting with a bow and arrow is getting close to  the game, drawing the string back, keeping your nerves intack enough to make a clean kill. Not picking up a X-Bow putting the stock agianst your shoulder, looking through a scope, and squezzing a trigger. If I wanted to do that then I would pick up a rifle which I have!!

The problem I see here are all the other hunters out there that are not disabled looking for the easy way out so they can use a X-bow to get into archery season!!

• Like 1

First I'm not a NYB member!! Second I'm disabled and can not shoot a bow anylonger!! You guy's make the NYB out to be some kind of big bad boggie man when in fact there are many more sportsmaen and women out the that feel that X-Bows are not archery. Third I do believe that those that have a disabilty that prevents them from drawing a bow  should be able to use one if they so choose. It's just not for me!!!! I feel that the challange of hunting with a bow and arrow is getting close to  the game, drawing the string back, keeping your nerves intack enough to make a clean kill. Not picking up a X-Bow putting the stock agianst your shoulder, looking through a scope, and squezzing a trigger. If I wanted to do that then I would pick up a rifle which I have!!

The problem I see here are all the other hunters out there that are not disabled looking for the easy way out so they can use a X-bow to get into archery season!!

I don't think the NYBowhunters are any worse than the pro crossbow people, both special interest groups...I bailed out on NYBowhunters when they tried to backdoor having the youth hunt shot down along with their anti crossbow bill..........I can't see backing a group only when it's convenient for my wants, so that's why I'll stick to voicing my own opinion........as for the rest of your post on crossbows, I agree.

Not all pro crossbow folks have any agenda or special interest besides allowing everyone the choice to use whichever form of archery equipment suits them. Theres nothing selfish or egotistical about it. Theres no false information being handed out, no scare tactics being used, no telling people they arent a real hunter if they dont do it a certain way. Theres no claims of people taking an easy way out with one side of their mouth and then using the easiest form currently allowed themselves......

• Like 2

I mean no disrespect

So a crossbow is bad and doesn't belong during bow season because it's too accurate???

Honestly now, how many arrows gets shot thru your bow in the off season once the newness has warn off?

Family, work, kids, life, baseball, football, kids...scouting, trail cams, food plots...are you really putting in the time at the range like you did when you were single and jobless?! If you are that's great! But you are just the cream of the crop.

2nd & 3rd pin 2/3rds closer to the 3rd pin...quick what yardage quick...any idea? Seriously!

Did I get ya? It's your bow...are you really prepared to hunt with it?

Again I ask why is it so bad to use a weapon that you say is superior in accuracy?? If that's the argument lets go talk to our representatives together. Cause thats the argument the Traditionalists used on your very own compound bows a few decades ago...it didn't work then either.

It's not really the case as far as distance because my Bowtech has a much farther down range accuracy factor than my Barnett Quad 400.

There really is no good statistical reason to segregate crossbows from the archery season.

It has limbs like your bow, it has a shaft that is tipped with a broadhead and stabilized with vanes just like your bow, it can have cams just like your bow, it may have no cams just like your long bow, it is held horizontal just like the earliest of hunters held their long bow, a scope?? Yup seen those on bows as well...,

For you bow hunters that don't like the unfair advantage...80% let off?? 350+ feet per second??? 25 feet high in your tree stand??? How long before your bows hold that unfair advantage? You have all but taken away the draw aspect of bow hunting already!

So really if I am in a treestand 25 feet off the ground with a cross bow in one woodlot and another bow hunter is in another stand 25 feet up with his bow in another wood lot...advantage???

Nope just a different weapon that both release a string to propell a broadhead tipped shaft...

Don't fear the cross bow! We are just like the compound of a few decades ago...DEFINATELY not evil just your fellow hunter!

Edited by Shedder
  • Like 3

I don't think the NYBowhunters are any worse than the pro crossbow people, both special interest groups...I bailed out on NYBowhunters when they tried to backdoor having the youth hunt shot down along with their anti crossbow bill..........I can't see backing a group only when it's convenient for my wants, so that's why I'll stick to voicing my own opinion........as for the rest of your post on crossbows, I agree.

right? so hard to believe an archery organization wouldn't want guns going off during archery season right? A gun is a gun regardless of who pulls the trigger. Don't forget the first year was rained out. Wait till you're in your stand and your neighbors kid, or with some people I know, your neighbor with his kids tag lets a 12 gauge rip through the woods. We've all gun hunted, there's a reason the deer are harder and harder to hunt during gun.

But yeah, what a bunch of jerks for being against gun during archery. It's not like a 12 year old cant hunt with a bow or anything...

There are a lot of NY Bowhunters who won't shoot past 30 yards. They might be the ones who feel an xbow has an advantage. However, out west guys with compounds routinely take big game out to 100 yards. They aren't crying about xbows.

I mean no disrespect

So a crossbow is bad and doesn't belong during bow season because it's too accurate???

Honestly now, how many arrows gets shot thru your bow in the off season once the newness has warn off?

Family, work, kids, life, baseball, football, kids...scouting, trail cams, food plots...are you really putting in the time at the range like you did when you were single and jobless?! If you are that's great! But you are just the cream of the crop.

2nd & 3rd pin 2/3rds closer to the 3rd pin...quick what yardage quick...any idea? Seriously!

Again I ask why is it so bad to use a weapon that you say is superior in accuracy?? If that's the argument lets go talk to our representatives together. Cause thats the argument the Traditionalists used on your very own compound bows a few decades ago...it didn't work then either.

It's not really the case as far as distance because my Bowtech has a much farther down range accuracy factor than my Barnett Quad 400.

There really is no good statistical reason to segregate crossbows from the archery season.

It has limbs like your bow, it has a shaft that is tipped with a broadhead and stabilized with vanes just like your bow, it can have cams just like your bow, it may have no cams just like your long bow, it is held horizontal just like the earliest of hunters held their long bow, a scope?? Yup seen those on bows as well...,

For you bow hunters that don't like the unfair advantage...80% let off?? 350+ feet per second??? 25 feet high in your tree stand??? How long before your bows hold that unfair advantage? You have all but taken away the draw aspect of bow hunting already!

So really if I am in a treestand 25 feet off the ground with a cross bow in one woodlot and another bow hunter is in another stand 25 feet up with his bow in another wood lot...advantage???

Nope just a different weapon that both release a string to propell a broadhead tipped shaft...

Don't fear the cross bow! We are just like the compound of a few decades ago...DEFINATELY not evil just your fellow hunter!

typical crossbow pusher. I can farm my land but cant shoot a few dozen arrows a week. I can easily tell you my pins and so can everyone I know who hunts with a bow. I can even tell you distances at certain trees in 90% of my 30+ stands. If you're not dedicated to the sport to do it right, then get out. There's a whole season for the "busy guy". I have a family and a demanding job and do just fine. Most do, your claim of single and jobless? what kind of person are you and who do you associate with? I don't know any single jobless archery hunter, and those that are out there I doubt give up the sport when they start working again or dating a girl. Even the teens have jobs. I didn't bowhunt when I was working in high school and playing 3 sports. I didn't have the time to dedicate to learn the sport so I gun hunted. If you really want to archery hunt you need to understand it takes time and dedication. Ask any good golfer, musician, drag racer, bowler etc. Any hobby that is worth doing and doing right takes time and effort. Quit coming up with excuses to take the easy way out.

There are a lot of NY Bowhunters who won't shoot past 30 yards. They might be the ones who feel an xbow has an advantage. However, out west guys with compounds routinely take big game out to 100 yards. They aren't crying about xbows.

Killing big game routinely with a bow at 100 yards is quite a feat . I wonder how many miss or wound big game animals at that range.

At this point my friend I think your grossly out numbered.

+1

Matt 

OP, NY

+1

I mean no disrespect

+1

right? so hard to believe an archery organization wouldn't want guns going off during archery season right? A gun is a gun regardless of who pulls the trigger. Don't forget the first year was rained out. Wait till you're in your stand and your neighbors kid, or with some people I know, your neighbor with his kids tag lets a 12 gauge rip through the woods. We've all gun hunted, there's a reason the deer are harder and harder to hunt during gun.

But yeah, what a bunch of jerks for being against gun during archery. It's not like a 12 year old cant hunt with a bow or anything...

A gun is easier for a kid too use... i personaly think it is STUPID that in NYS you can bowhunt at 12 and gun hunt at 14... i think it takes MUCH more skill to kill a deer with a bow than gun! thanks to our #$^%$ laws in NYS I couldnt hunt untill i was 14 even tho i wanted too!!!

Killing big game routinely with a bow at 100 yards is quite a feat . I wonder how many miss or wound big game animals at that range.

Not sure, but no experienced bowhunters should be limiting themselves to 30yards. These new bows have plenty of energy to kill deer well beyond that distance

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Wait a minute there pal, youre talking about NYBowhunters Inc, correct? The SAME group that has been lobbying FOR an early muzzle loader season?

Please, tell me more about how they stick to their guns (pun intended), and are all about protecting "their" season from the big bad "gun hunters"....

typical crossbow pusher. I can farm my land but cant shoot a few dozen arrows a week. I can easily tell you my pins and so can everyone I know who hunts with a bow. I can even tell you distances at certain trees in 90% of my 30+ stands. If you're not dedicated to the sport to do it right, then get out. There's a whole season for the "busy guy". I have a family and a demanding job and do just fine. Most do, your claim of single and jobless? what kind of person are you and who do you associate with? I don't know any single jobless archery hunter, and those that are out there I doubt give up the sport when they start working again or dating a girl. Even the teens have jobs. I didn't bowhunt when I was working in high school and playing 3 sports. I didn't have the time to dedicate to learn the sport so I gun hunted. If you really want to archery hunt you need to understand it takes time and dedication. Ask any good golfer, musician, drag racer, bowler etc. Any hobby that is worth doing and doing right takes time and effort. Quit coming up with excuses to take the easy way out.

And there you have it folks.

BTW belo, you realize that the phrase "to do it right" is 100% completely subjective, yes? Its nothing more than your OPINION of the "right way" to do it.

Wait a minute there pal, youre talking about NYBowhunters Inc, correct? The SAME group that has been lobbying FOR an early muzzle loader season?

Please, tell me more about how they stick to their guns (pun intended), and are all about protecting "their" season from the big bad "gun hunters"....

I'm a republican, I don't believe in everything the party does. Same can be said for NYB.

And there you have it folks.

yep there you have it. No hunter should be in favor of other hunters being sloppy. this starts with good safety practices, target recognition, taking good clean shots and continues on with not littering in the woods. So yes, if you're not dedicated to do it right, I don't want you wounding, poaching, baiting, littering and ruining the sport I love so much. I don't believe I'm alone. And no, I'm not saying crossbows will do any of this, but if you want to highlight that particular part of my post, I don't believe I'm alone with my opinion. Just like golfers don't want other golfers out on the course clowning around ruining their time or racers at a track want someone being unsafe. It's all the same. The post was also in response to someone whining about not having enough time to learn archery and why they wanted to shoot their crossbow. It was not an indictment of all crossbow advocates.

yep there you have it. No hunter should be in favor of other hunters being sloppy. this starts with good safety practices, target recognition, taking good clean shots and continues on with not littering in the woods. So yes, if you're not dedicated to do it right, I don't want you wounding, poaching, baiting, littering and ruining the sport I love so much. I don't believe I'm alone. And no, I'm not saying crossbows will do any of this, but if you want to highlight that particular part of my post, I don't believe I'm alone with my opinion. Just like golfers don't want other golfers out on the course clowning around ruining their time or racers at a track want someone being unsafe. It's all the same. The post was also in response to someone whining about not having enough time to learn archery and why they wanted to shoot their crossbow. It was not an indictment of all crossbow advocates.

Well then, own your own land, and establish whatever rules on it you want to, and dont worry about what is legalized for the rest of the state. Just like golfers that want to stay away from the "riff raff" join private clubs, and dont go to public courses.

BTW, using differing tactics, style of weapon, etc is alot different than being unsafe. Not many people want others being unsafe, no matter what weapon is in their hands. I never said anyone should be unsafe. Apples and oranges.

"Sloppy" is also completely subjective.

Not sure, but no experienced bowhunters should be limiting themselves to 30yards. These new bows have plenty of energy to kill deer well beyond that distance

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have more than enough experience bowhunting, and have no problem or regrets limiting myself to 30 yards in a hunting situation...........what distance do you limit yourself to when you hunt with your bow?

Edited by jjb4900

Bowtech Allegiance 28" draw 70# turned down to its lowest of 47# to ease a mouth tab, Apex 4 pin sight, Trophy Ridge Whisker Buisket rest, T.R.U. BALL release or mouth tab, Easton Flatline D.O.A. 400 micro lites tipped with G5s and 2" Blazer vanes.

That's my rig!

I am a bow hunter...believe me I am not suggesting bowhunters are lazy and jobless! I am not here to put down the sport I have such a passion for!

As a bowhunter I have to ask that you don't speak on my behalf. Bow hunting is not an eletest sport and for someone to demand to another to leave the sport is actually appalling. Why the hate? You don't know me. Really, you want me to leave the sport...ok you're right I quit! "Whining because I don't have time..." try again! Not about me or crossbow hunters...

To get back to my point in my prior post...the more things you have going on in your life the less time there is for others...SOME PEOPLE lax on shooting their archery equipment! To say you know of no one like that is hard to believe...it's a simple truth. When the only thing you had to worry about in life was getting to the table on time for Mom's supper...there was a whole lot more time to shoot.

Nothing bad about that now is there? Bow companies are coming out with new advancements every year to make it easier to kill a deer! Are you balking at your own bow companies for being too efficient making it too easy to draw back and hold onto a deer? Of course not that would be silly...

"Typical crossbow pusher"...Thank you I will take that as a compliment! I'm a bowhunter that shoots a Bowtech Allegiance loves to hunt the Whitetail deer during the bow season and by the way sees no problem with someone choosing to use a crossbow to hunt during archery season. Again compound bow hunters did the same thing to traditionalist a few decades ago and guess what? The Deer lived and the woods did too! I will work towards shooting my Bowtech again but that's not the issue here. If it happens or not, that's for not.

So as a typical crossbow pusher the future looks pretty good for the legalization of crossbows...I am a bowhunter who supports the use of crossbows. I am ready to speak Mano a Mano to my representitives in that support. I can tell you your hatred and bitterness will speak volumes in my cause! Thanks for your help!

Edited by Shedder

I am a bow hunter...believe me I am not suggesting bowhunters are lazy and jobless! I am not here to put down the sport I have such a passion for!

As a bowhunter I have to ask that you don't speak on my behalf. Bow hunting is not an eletest sport and for someone to demand to another to leave the sport is actually appalling. Why the hate? You don't know me. Really, you want me to leave the sport...ok you're right I quit!

i never called you out specifically. But I did say if you or anyone else is a sloppy hunter you should leave. yes.

Well then, own your own land, and establish whatever rules on it you want to, and dont worry about what is legalized for the rest of the state. Just like golfers that want to stay away from the "riff raff" join private clubs, and dont go to public courses.

BTW, using differing tactics, style of weapon, etc is alot different than being unsafe. Not many people want others being unsafe, no matter what weapon is in their hands. I never said anyone should be unsafe. Apples and oranges.

"Sloppy" is also completely subjective.

you know exactly what I mean by sloppy, and if you don't I thought I even put a sentence in to describe it To say I should just own my own land is appalling for someone who is an outdoorsman to say. It wouldn't bother you if your neighbor or even someone 100 miles from you was gut shooting deer because they didn't practice? What if they were baiting because they were lazy? Remember that whole rant had nothing to do with crossbows but was in response for people not taking the time to become safe and ethical in our sport. It's no different than someone trying a wheelie when they've never ridden a motorcycle. They make everyone else look bad and endanger the sport, the politicians will come after everyone else for the dumb things the minority might do. If you want to do wheelies, you practice them safely until you're good at it. I don't see what's so hard to grasp...

you know exactly what I mean by sloppy, and if you don't I thought I even put a sentence in to describe it To say I should just own my own land is appalling for someone who is an outdoorsman to say. It wouldn't bother you if your neighbor or even someone 100 miles from you was gut shooting deer because they didn't practice? What if they were baiting because they were lazy? Remember that whole rant had nothing to do with crossbows but was in response for people not taking the time to become safe and ethical in our sport. It's no different than someone trying a wheelie when they've never ridden a motorcycle. They make everyone else look bad and endanger the sport, the politicians will come after everyone else for the dumb things the minority might do. If you want to do wheelies, you practice them safely until you're good at it. I don't see what's so hard to grasp...

First, plenty of guys that practice, end up gut shoot deer too. As long as they recover the deer, I dont really care. They are the ones that have to track it. Would I RATHER see people make clean kills? Sure, but life isnt perfect, and neither is hunting. Its the resolution to a bad shot that I care more about.

Second, if baiting is legal, then I dont care. Am I going to worry about someone baiting 100 miles away? Not really. Ill tell them its illegal, but thats about it.

Someone doing a wheelie on a motorcycle does not endanger the sport or make anyone look bad except for themselves. The asshole that thinks they are on a race track and blows wheelies down public highways is the problem. 9 times out of 10, they are the guy that thinks they are some sort of "professional" because theyve been riding for a while. Bad analogy in this case.

• Like 1

I have more than enough experience bowhunting, and have no problem or regrets limiting myself to 30 yards in a hunting situation...........what distance do you limit yourself to when you hunt with your bow?

Just curious, why do you limit yourself to 30 yards? Your bow can easily kill a deer beyond 30 yards, so why not become proficient at a longer distance? Unless, you hunt in heavy woods or something where >30 yards wouldnt help.

Regarding me, I feel confident to 50 yards with my crossbow given the right shot (broadside or quartering away).  That's all I need for now because I hunt in very heavy woods. However, if I hunted farm lands for example, I would definitely work on getting comfortable "lobbing it in" from 70-80 yards.

I never shot a rifle past 200 yards at a range in my life. I shot my Mule Deer at 330 and 440 yards, both hits, because I knew where to aim at that distance.

I never shot past 38 yards when practicing with my crossbow (that's as long as the yard is I practice in), but I would feel confident knowing where to aim up to 50 yards and definitely take the shot at a standing still deer facing the right way.

Just curious, why do you limit yourself to 30 yards? Your bow can easily kill a deer beyond 30 yards, so why not become proficient at a longer distance? Unless, you hunt in heavy woods or something where >30 yards wouldnt help.

Regarding me, I feel confident to 50 yards with my crossbow given the right shot (broadside or quartering away).  That's all I need for now because I hunt in very heavy woods. However, if I hunted farm lands for example, I would definitely work on getting comfortable "lobbing it in" from 70-80 yards.

I never shot a rifle past 200 yards at a range in my life. I shot my Mule Deer at 330 and 440 yards, both hits, because I knew where to aim at that distance.

I never shot past 38 yards when practicing with my crossbow (that's as long as the yard is I practice in), but I would feel confident knowing where to aim up to 50 yards and definitely take the shot at a standing still deer facing the right way.

30 yards is what I'm limited to practice at, so that's what I stick with.

Remember that whole rant had nothing to do with crossbows but was in response for people not taking the time to become safe and ethical in our sport....

Ok here let's try this again...

It's about cross bows are too efficient...too easy...ok how about that wording? You don't feel they belong in the woods with your bow because you worked so long and hard at perfecting your shooting form. Why should the next guy just walk in and use a crossbow that is so much more effective? My personal view is its not your worry what I'm using as long as it has the same characteristics of your basic bow.

Limbs...check

String...check

Arrow...check

Launches said arrow by releasing said string...check

No bullets...check

Two points were captured nicely here...thank you for the folks that made my point so nicely that the compound shoots efficiently "out west" up to 100 yards. I don't know about you but I think that would beat a crossbows top end???

My other point is not all bowhunters put forth the same amount of time as the next guy. Believe me I would shoot my bow ALOT through out the year...that doesn't mean everybody does. I saw it personally. It didn't make me a better person than the other...or even a better shot necessarly. If you are so concerned about the Whitetail...if you felt the crossbow was a better shooting alternative why not accept it as a viable

alternative???

Again can't you see the compound bow had all the same advantages that you are saying the crossbow had, but actually did have over it's predisessor! The COMPOUND WAS MORE ACCURATE, DID SHOOT FASTER, ALLOWED FOR CONSISTENT ARROW FLIGHT, WAS EASIER TO DRAW AND HOLD, GAVE THAT "UNFAIR" ADVANTAGE COMPARED TO TRADITIONAL ARCHERY...and here we are 95% of us using it in the woods today???

My gosh it uses a string and limbs to launch an arrow in its simplest form you have to see that!

So yes it was about the crossbow...and your argument.

Edited by Shedder

I support Crossbows and here is my reasoning....will I use them?  No.  But my father has hunted his entire life and absolutely LOVES nature and being out there in the NY cold.  He has a bad back now due to a work accident where he can no longer pull a bow or handle the recoil on a high powered rifle.  A crossbow would be a perfect weapon for him.  Why should he not be allowed to enjoy his favorite past-time due to an injury??