Please help yourself and your friends that wish to have more time to hunt!

Tinlodge

I support Crossbows and here is my reasoning....will I use them?  No.  But my father has hunted his entire life and absolutely LOVES nature and being out there in the NY cold.  He has a bad back now due to a work accident where he can no longer pull a bow or handle the recoil on a high powered rifle.  A crossbow would be a perfect weapon for him.  Why should he not be allowed to enjoy his favorite past-time due to an injury??

I've said it before, NY needs to relax the restrictions on what qualifies someone to use a crossbow.........I have a friend who was issued a permit to hunt / shoot a firearm from his vehicle due to a knee injury, something is not quite right.

• Like 2

just checked the DEC website, it's called a non-ambulatory permit.........it allows someone to possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle and discharge a firearm from it............that's ok, but someone who wants to get out during bow season, but due to physical limitations can't shoot a longbow is out of luck.

So since you can hunt with a bow or ML during bow, how in the world is a crossbow an unfair advantage?  Or can someone explain to me why this would be considered illegal?  It just honestly makes no sense to me and I would love to understand the logic here.  So its safer to let someone shoot a gun from a car (which is most likely on a road) than it is to allow someone to use a crossbow which would have the distance or power of a ML??

that permit doesn't allow you to do that during bow season...just gun. I was saying why would they accommodate physically challenged hunters during gun season but not bowhunters during bow season.................you pretty much have to be blowing through a straw to get a crossbow permit in NY.

Oh gotcha, yea, it just really makes no sense to me.  I can understand if it by some chance gave you an unfair advantage or was more dangerous than other means, but simply put it just isn't..lol.  I feel bad cause my dad will just come hunting with me now and he just hangs out.  I was hoping they were going to pass the bill for 2013 and I was going to surprise him with a CB.  

right? so hard to believe an archery organization wouldn't want guns going off during archery season right? A gun is a gun regardless of who pulls the trigger. Don't forget the first year was rained out. Wait till you're in your stand and your neighbors kid, or with some people I know, your neighbor with his kids tag lets a 12 gauge rip through the woods. We've all gun hunted, there's a reason the deer are harder and harder to hunt during gun.

But yeah, what a bunch of jerks for being against gun during archery. It's not like a 12 year old cant hunt with a bow or anything...

you've made it clear that you don't want to share the bowseason with anyone, whether it be turkey hunters, grouse hunters, rabbit hunters, mushroom pickers, etc., and that's ok if that's your stance, but unfortunately there's not enough hunting season to have bowseason and then everything else......and the first deer youth hunt last year was not rained out, as a matter of fact it got an overwhelming positive response.....

First, plenty of guys that practice, end up gut shoot deer too. As long as they recover the deer, I dont really care. They are the ones that have to track it. Would I RATHER see people make clean kills? Sure, but life isnt perfect, and neither is hunting. Its the resolution to a bad shot that I care more about.

Second, if baiting is legal, then I dont care. Am I going to worry about someone baiting 100 miles away? Not really. Ill tell them its illegal, but thats about it.

Someone doing a wheelie on a motorcycle does not endanger the sport or make anyone look bad except for themselves. The asshole that thinks they are on a race track and blows wheelies down public highways is the problem. 9 times out of 10, they are the guy that thinks they are some sort of "professional" because theyve been riding for a while. Bad analogy in this case.

1. but you tried your best to make a clean shot by practicing. mistakes happen. Tiger Woods shoots a double bogie every now and then. but to not put in the time and effort to do your best is inexcusable. I dont know, maybe my way of thinking is why I am where I am in my career at such a young age. If you make mistakes and shrug them off, then that's your way of thinking. Me? I go out and shoot more and try harder to not repeat it.

2. If you don't care about illegal hunters then you're not a spokesman for a sport. Why not help preserve our sport and enhance our image? I ride a crotch rocket. I'm always on some of my buddies doing 100+ splitting lanes on the highway. They make ME look bad and give us a bad name. And my insurance goes up. Everyone I talk to assumes I do the same. Same goes for every harley rider being a beer brawling member of hells angels. But I do remember you getting all bent out of shape about 3 bladed rages...

Just curious, why do you limit yourself to 30 yards? Your bow can easily kill a deer beyond 30 yards, so why not become proficient at a longer distance? Unless, you hunt in heavy woods or something where >30 yards wouldnt help.

for me, I hunt in heavy woods and it's 40 and under. I imagine out west they shoot longer given a lot of more open and flat terrain.

Ok here let's try this again...

It's about cross bows are too efficient...too easy...ok how about that wording? You don't feel they belong in the woods with your bow because you worked so long and hard at perfecting your shooting form. Why should the next guy just walk in and use a crossbow that is so much more effective? My personal view is its not your worry what I'm using as long as it has the same characteristics of your basic bow.

Limbs...check

String...check

Arrow...check

Launches said arrow by releasing said string...check

No bullets...check

Two points were captured nicely here...thank you for the folks that made my point so nicely that the compound shoots efficiently "out west" up to 100 yards. I don't know about you but I think that would beat a crossbows top end???

My other point is not all bowhunters put forth the same amount of time as the next guy. Believe me I would shoot my bow ALOT through out the year...that doesn't mean everybody does. I saw it personally. It didn't make me a better person than the other...or even a better shot necessarly. If you are so concerned about the Whitetail...if you felt the crossbow was a better shooting alternative why not accept it as a viable

alternative???

Again can't you see the compound bow had all the same advantages that you are saying the crossbow had, but actually did have over it's predisessor! The COMPOUND WAS MORE ACCURATE, DID SHOOT FASTER, ALLOWED FOR CONSISTENT ARROW FLIGHT, WAS EASIER TO DRAW AND HOLD, GAVE THAT "UNFAIR" ADVANTAGE COMPARED TO TRADITIONAL ARCHERY...and here we are 95% of us using it in the woods today???

My gosh it uses a string and limbs to launch an arrow in its simplest form you have to see that!

So yes it was about the crossbow...and your argument.

1. your sentence structure and writing style makes your posts hard to read and understand. I'm not going to pick on your misspellings and grammar but if you want to converse with me, chill out on the caps locks and the weird paragraphs. It's hard to debate when I get a headache reading your posts.

2. you've joined an argument that has gone on for years and where we've given responses to every one of your points. I'm sick of repeating myself and given the status of the bill, for the foreseeable future I don't have to.

So since you can hunt with a bow or ML during bow, how in the world is a crossbow an unfair advantage?  Or can someone explain to me why this would be considered illegal?  It just honestly makes no sense to me and I would love to understand the logic here.  So its safer to let someone shoot a gun from a car (which is most likely on a road) than it is to allow someone to use a crossbow which would have the distance or power of a ML??

most of us support a hunters choice to hunt with an xbow during regular, and late season. Also most of us support disabled hunters easier access to crossbows. I do not support them for the able bodied hunter during archery.

• Like 1

most of us support a hunters choice to hunt with an xbow during regular, and late season. Also most of us support disabled hunters easier access to crossbows. I do not support them for the able bodied hunter during archery.

I agree with you.  I personally love my bow and prefer to hunt with that over a rifle.  But for the disabled, I do not see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed as in my opinion allowing a ML is far more of an advantage.

Just curious, why do you limit yourself to 30 yards? Your bow can easily kill a deer beyond 30 yards, so why not become proficient at a longer distance? Unless, you hunt in heavy woods or something where >30 yards wouldnt help.

Regarding me, I feel confident to 50 yards with my crossbow given the right shot (broadside or quartering away).  That's all I need for now because I hunt in very heavy woods. However, if I hunted farm lands for example, I would definitely work on getting comfortable "lobbing it in" from 70-80 yards.

I never shot a rifle past 200 yards at a range in my life. I shot my Mule Deer at 330 and 440 yards, both hits, because I knew where to aim at that distance.

I never shot past 38 yards when practicing with my crossbow (that's as long as the yard is I practice in), but I would feel confident knowing where to aim up to 50 yards and definitely take the shot at a standing still deer facing the right way.

" Lobbing it in " from 70 - 80 yards is an unethical shot , not to mention 100 yards. I think the term your referring to is unchecked.

Regarding me, I feel confident to 50 yards with my crossbow given the right shot (broadside or quartering away).  That's all I need for now because I hunt in very heavy woods. However, if I hunted farm lands for example, I would definitely work on getting comfortable "lobbing it in" from 70-80 yards.

I never shot a rifle past 200 yards at a range in my life. I shot my Mule Deer at 330 and 440 yards, both hits, because I knew where to aim at that distance.

I never shot past 38 yards when practicing with my crossbow (that's as long as the yard is I practice in), but I would feel confident knowing where to aim up to 50 yards and definitely take the shot at a standing still deer facing the right way.

" Lobbing it in " from 70 - 80 yards is an unethical shot , not to mention 100 yards. I think the term your referring to is unchecked.

That's ur opinion. A 77 yard shot broadside, no wind. What's unethical about it if its practiced ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

1. but you tried your best to make a clean shot by practicing. mistakes happen. Tiger Woods shoots a double bogie every now and then. but to not put in the time and effort to do your best is inexcusable. I dont know, maybe my way of thinking is why I am where I am in my career at such a young age. If you make mistakes and shrug them off, then that's your way of thinking. Me? I go out and shoot more and try harder to not repeat it.

2. If you don't care about illegal hunters then you're not a spokesman for a sport. Why not help preserve our sport and enhance our image? I ride a crotch rocket. I'm always on some of my buddies doing 100+ splitting lanes on the highway. They make ME look bad and give us a bad name. And my insurance goes up. Everyone I talk to assumes I do the same. Same goes for every harley rider being a beer brawling member of hells angels. But I do remember you getting all bent out of shape about 3 bladed rages...

1. This is reality belo. There are a ton of bow hunters that dont practice. Some make good shots, others dont. They are going to take to the woods whether t\you want them to or not. Ive made the point before that I would rather see those guys with crossbows in their hands so they have a better chance at making a clean shot.

2. What part of my comment "If baiting is LEGAL, then I dont care" dont you understand? What am I going to do about someone 100 miles away? Bust their balls a bit like I already do?

As far as the motorcycle comment goes, what does any of this new babble have to do with new, or inexperienced riders? Id bet most of your buddies splitting lanes have been riding for more than a year or two, right? Like I said, THEY are the problem 9 times out of 10.

I never got bent over 3 blade rage broadheads, better check your sources.

1. This is reality belo. There are a ton of bow hunters that dont practice. Some make good shots, others dont. They are going to take to the woods whether t\you want them to or not. Ive made the point before that I would rather see those guys with crossbows in their hands so they have a better chance at making a clean shot.

Using that philosophy, why don't we encourage those that refuse to master their archery equipment to use a rifle during bow season? If we are saying that the best way to solve irresponsible bow hunting is to let them use whatever weapon that they will be effective with, then there is no reason to stop with just crossbows is there? Let's forget about all these weapons that pose a challenge and simply have just a gun season. I'll bet there are a lot of guys that would be all for that.

Lol ... Sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass.

Using that philosophy, why don't we encourage those that refuse to master their archery equipment to use a rifle during bow season? If we are saying that the best way to solve irresponsible bow hunting is to let them use whatever weapon that they will be effective with, then there is no reason to stop with just crossbows is there? Let's forget about all these weapons that pose a challenge and simply have just a gun season. I'll bet there are a lot of guys that would be all for that.

Lol ... Sorry, I just couldn't let that one pass.

Because a rifle isnt archery equipment.

Because a rifle isnt archery equipment.

I didn't see that qualifier in your statement. I'm just illustrating the fallacy of your statement. The point is that bow season was never intended as a hunting method without challenge and effort and some level of dedication. But trying to make up for those that refuse to bowhunt responsibly by merely adding in more efficient and easy-to-use weapons and removing the challenges of the sport is not a valid solution unless you are willing to take that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion. And I was just pointing out what that logical conclusion really is ..... the rifle. 

• Like 1

I didn't see that qualifier in your statement. I'm just illustrating the fallacy of your statement. The point is that bow season was never intended as a hunting method without challenge and effort and some level of dedication. But trying to make up for those that refuse to bowhunt responsibly by merely adding in more efficient and easy-to-use weapons and removing the challenges of the sport is not a valid solution unless you are willing to take that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion. And I was just pointing out what that logical conclusion really is ..... the rifle. 

The qualifier is a given, seeing as we are talking about archery season, not a gun season. Archery hunting, no matter what type of bow you are carrying, requires not only the skill to take the shot, but more so the skill to get within range of the animal.

We arent talking about the easiest way to kill a deer.

Then why not make every hunter "qualify" with the archery equipment and firearms as well. If you wan't to hunt with it, prove you can shoot it to an acceptable standard.

• Like 1

1. your sentence structure and writing style makes your posts hard to read and understand. I'm not going to pick on your misspellings and grammar but if you want to converse with me, chill out on the caps locks and the weird paragraphs. It's hard to debate when I get a headache reading your posts.

2. you've joined an argument that has gone on for years and where we've given responses to every one of your points. I'm sick of repeating myself and given the status of the bill, for the foreseeable future I don't have to.

Sorry about your headache.

If you don't want to look into the subtle style that is your choice. Would I be right to tell you to get off this sight for not wanting to put in the time & think about what is written before answering based on quick reflex?

Again that is your choice and none of my business. It really doesn't affect me either way.

1. This is reality belo. There are a ton of bow hunters that dont practice. Some make good shots, others dont.

a ton? really? But to say "a ton" is something I'd have to disagree with. we can never prove eachother wrong because there is no study or criteria of what constitutes "practice" to prove either side. New hunters need more of it than older. Bowhunting is not something I know many people enter into half assed.