Jump to content

Doe tags / Venison donation


wolc123
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lots of folks will soon be picking up doe tags (I heard that they come out on Aug 1).   Some get them for free for lifetime, but for most, there is a $10 charge.  
 

After November 1, you can go back for the “second draw”, for (2) more tags in many DMU’s where the dec had struggled to get deer numbers under control.  There is no additional charge for those tags.  
 

Consider donating to the venison donation program, when you pick up your DMP tags.  This can be done at the license/tag issuing facility (I usually use Walmart).  That money is used to pay for the processing of deer that hunters donate to the program, and that food goes towards feeding people in need.  
 

Rather than just going back for (2) more free tags on November 1, why not donate to a good cause ? You might find yourself able to fill those tags a little easier, if you do that.   

B4C7E3C2-535A-4535-BD2E-FDC59CB306D1.thumb.jpeg.e61b0eb05686471e4e0443a3e895c1fb.jpeg

Ps, they will also accept donations on the first round, or when you buy your license.  Just ask the agent to click on

”support venison donation”

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, kpkot said:

Don't forget to add this in your price per lb of venison tally this year. I hope your rewarded for your kind gesture.

I had been intending to donate to that program for several years.  I always ended up forgetting about it, the day I picked up the tags, or the person selling them wasn’t able to figure out how to get it done.

Last year, I tried it when I picked up my first two.   Somehow, I managed to get it done.  It was a piece of cake to do it, when I went back for the next two.  

I had at least 25 % less time to hunt last year, yet ended up filling more than one of those dmp tags, for the first time in quite a while.  Coincidence ?  
 

Including that extra $20 in donations, my cost per pound approached the target value of $ 1 per pound last year, after subtracting all input costs.

 To be fair, having a good stockpile of 20 cent 16 gauge Remington sluggers, and some new rule changes NY made last year, also helped with that.

2A573A51-6D09-46C5-A00B-989F8C031BC2.thumb.jpeg.7d90c5c88b046f49e8fa80a2edd67631.jpeg

 

 

Edited by wolc123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 5:35 AM, wolc123 said:

I had been intending to donate to that program for several years.  I always ended up forgetting about it, the day I picked up the tags, or the person selling them wasn’t able to figure out how to get it done.

Last year, I tried it when I picked up my first two.   Somehow, I managed to get it done.  It was a piece of cake to do it, when I went back for the next two.  

I had at least 25 % less time to hunt last year, yet ended up filling more than one of those dmp tags, for the first time in quite a while.  Coincidence ?  
 

Including that extra $20 in donations, my cost per pound approached the target value of $ 1 per pound last year, after subtracting all input costs.

 To be fair, having a good stockpile of 20 cent 16 gauge Remington sluggers, and some new rule changes NY made last year, also helped with that.

2A573A51-6D09-46C5-A00B-989F8C031BC2.thumb.jpeg.7d90c5c88b046f49e8fa80a2edd67631.jpeg

 

 

I was wondering if you were hacked being that you love young venison so much,  The picture proves you weren't. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually donate one nice doe to a good friend in Pendleton.   He’s 90 this year and still loves his venison.   I shoot it, tag it, gut it and drop it off at his butcher shop.  Happily….

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Paula said:

I was wondering if you were hacked being that you love young venison so much,  The picture proves you weren't. 

 

The 3.5 year old, that sported that rack last year, was one of the best eating ones that I can recall.  Proper aging of the carcass after the kill plays a big role in that.  The older they are, the longer they need to age (at 33-43 deg F) to get past rigor-mortis.  That one hung (9) days.

I ground most of it, but I also made (2) neck roasts.  I can’t wait for the second one.  The first was the best I ever had.  We slow cooked it for (8) hours, in a crock pot, with a can of Genny Ruby red kosh.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I usually donate one nice doe to a good friend in Pendleton.   He’s 90 this year and still loves his venison.   I shoot it, tag it, gut it and drop it off at his butcher shop.  Happily….

I will probably donate my first extra one to my brother in law this year.  I will grind it for him, because my great grandfathers old grinder worked so well, after I replaced the knife and screen on it last year, that I can’t wait to run another one thru it.

CAD1F0D1-8342-4D27-B9F4-1BAC4EE170F5.thumb.jpeg.8df78e9605f04ae16d734f4d271399a2.jpeg

 I only ran that 3.5 year old buck thru it last year.  The next deer I got (technically this year) was a button buck and it would be sinful to grind one of those.  

I am hoping for a couple nice mature wmu 9F does, during the early September antlerless gun season, now just over a month away.  I am going to try and pick up the (2) tags this weekend.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could use three deer for the family and friends. Instead of donating any extra deer, I use it as "an education tool" and make it for people who are not hunters (mostly teachers and city folk!)and often think all guns and hunters are gonna go shoot up a mall or school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 7:28 AM, crappyice said:

I could use three deer for the family and friends. Instead of donating any extra deer, I use it as "an education tool" and make it for people who are not hunters (mostly teachers and city folk!)and often think all guns and hunters are gonna go shoot up a mall or school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that two mature deer will be enough for my wife and I this year, since both of our girls will be away at college.  As I mentioned earlier, if I fill those September tags, I will give one to my brother in law (after I grind it).
 

 He used to have a buddy, who was a butcher and gave him lots of ground venison to mix with his ground beef, but that guy retired two years ago.  The jerky that he makes from grind, just hasn’t been as good, since he stopped adding venison to it.  
 

I am going to try my best to punch all (4) of my wmu 9F dmp tags, because there is still way too many deer around here. If it works out with my schedule, I will butcher and grind all of them (except for the back straps, tenderloins, and neck roasts).   My brother in law could easily use (3) deer’s worth of grind.  
 

If I don’t have time to butcher them, I will take them to the Buck and Doe shop, a local, participating “venison donation” facility. 
 

I am also going to try my best to fill my antlerless bow ML tag up in WMU 6C.  There are also  too many deer up there, based on the distinct browse line all around the lake up at my in-laws place.  
 

I hope that I can be selective enough with my (2) buck tags, so that I still have one for the Holiday ML season.  That is my new favorite time to hunt, and it is a lot more fun if I have a buck tag.  

Any deer that I get up in the northern zone,  I will likely get butchered up there, by the same outfit that I used last year (they must have kept about half of the meat).  I assume they put their half to good use.

The outfit that I used previously up there (Nolt’s in Lowville) was cheaper and gave me a lot more meat back from a smaller deer.  They are a lot farther away from where I hunt, so I consider using the local place a bit of a “venison donation”, as well as a time saver.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 5:35 AM, wolc123 said:

I had been intending to donate to that program for several years.  I always ended up forgetting about it, the day I picked up the tags, or the person selling them wasn’t able to figure out how to get it done.

Last year, I tried it when I picked up my first two.   Somehow, I managed to get it done.  It was a piece of cake to do it, when I went back for the next two.  

I had at least 25 % less time to hunt last year, yet ended up filling more than one of those dmp tags, for the first time in quite a while.  Coincidence ?  
 

Including that extra $20 in donations, my cost per pound approached the target value of $ 1 per pound last year, after subtracting all input costs.

 To be fair, having a good stockpile of 20 cent 16 gauge Remington sluggers, and some new rule changes NY made last year, also helped with that.

2A573A51-6D09-46C5-A00B-989F8C031BC2.thumb.jpeg.7d90c5c88b046f49e8fa80a2edd67631.jpeg

 

 

Does the price per pound account your time in the stand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The woman at the customer service desk at Runnings in Lockport wasn’t able to take a donation, towards the “support venison” today, when I picked up my hunting license and first two wmu 9F dmp tags.  Oh well, I guess I’ll try for $ 20 when I go back for the next two, after November 1.  

Edited by wolc123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...