Very quiet on the anti-NY SAFE front

I've checked in with the NY Firearms thread for updates to the various lawsuits to either change the SAFE law or repeal it entirely and have seen no new info for weeks. Googling for updates in general finds me only articles that are old.

Coupled with that, it looked like low turnout for the Albany rally this week, especially compared to earlier this year when the sting was fresh (I didn't go this week, but would've if I had any chance of getting out of work).

I'm starting to get pessimistic about the chances for getting this wreck of a law changed.

The last I knew, Tresmond has a fairly important court date today, maybe they'll be some information flowing from that to get me perked up again.

Anyone else starting to get the same feeling as me? If not, tell me to buck up or something!!

I've had similar feelings right from the start. This is not all that unusual for people to get all fired up for short periods of time and then the isues simply fade over time and get replaced by our day-to-day activities and apathy. Politicians are aware of this and have come to count on this kind of reaction. Gunners have whipped up all the legislative attention that they are going to, and have already moved on to their other daily activities. Our only hope is the legal challenges. As far as starting a grass-roots effort to create a new law that rescinds the SAFE act, it is obvious now that that isn't going to happen. So all the rallies and demonstrations serve little purpose other than to highlight the fact that legislators can do as they damn-well please and the irate public has absolutely nothing they can do about it...... not a real good message to be sending them.

Look for further embolded politicians to pile on more midnight surprises in the future. This has so far been a total win for anti-gun politicians and their backers and is exposing the weaknesses of the disorganized gun owners. It also serves as a shining example to other states as to how to defeat the gunowners without any consequences.

The only problem with patience is that we slowly get lulled into a sense of "acceptance". I am definitely getting the impression that almost all of the gun owners have given up and the pressure on legislators is definitely over. I would much more prefer that gun owners remain the loud, impatient, angry people that we were when this attack on the 2nd Amendment first occurred. I kind of think that by the time the next elections come around, everybody will become conditioned to the new law and be primed for accepting the next round of gun laws. In other words it is beginning to look like Andy has gotten away with it and is laughing at us.

• Like 1

What pressure can you put on legislators that will help the court case? There are still rallys going on, attend them.The state government is wrapping things up for their vacations right now, so its not much of a shock that there arent as many protests scheduled right now. Join or donate to your local organizations such as NYSRPA, etc that are helping to fund the court battles.

What pressure can you put on legislators that will help the court case? There are still rallys going on, attend them.The state government is wrapping things up for their vacations right now, so its not much of a shock that there arent as many protests scheduled right now. Join or donate to your local organizations such as NYSRPA, etc that are helping to fund the court battles.

Hopefully court battles are only one prong of our battle against this law and any subsequent ones that legislators may have in mind. There is no need to stop holding our legislators feet to the fire on this issue. They need to understand that if they voted for this law, they screwed up and it will cost them votes. Also, the ones that voted against the law need to be reassured that they have won our support for the next election. The last thing we need is to quietly shrink back in our corner and make them think (or know) they have successfully bull-dozed over us. We should not be putting all our eggs in one basket. The court cases are fine and hopefully will yield positive results, but there are other actions that can be effective for the future. I want to see the furor over this law maintained right through the next state elections. I'm afraid I am not seeing this as was noted in the original post. That's scary that we can so easily be silenced. Even the reactions on this forum seem to have died down and essentially been silenced.

I have been sending messages to my State Senator, Ted O'Brien on a very frequent basis reminding him that I will be working vigorously during the next election to have him unseated and that it is due to his anti-gun vote on the SAFE Act. I don't want to let this issue calm down, but I'm afraid that the majority of gun owners are content to let the whole issue rest on a roll of the dice in the courts. I want the politicians to once again fear the gun lobby. And like Steuben Jerry, I don't think that is happening.

I got to agree with Doc on this one WNY.. What one has to do is take a cold hard look at who is running the court systems in this state. Better yet, take a look at who is funding these judges campaigns.  Then maybe one may not put much faith in a repeal of the Safe Act.

I don't say never give up trying, but their comes a point where people except the fact. Those that don't , are  branded trouble makers, nuts or lnieics.

Human nature also tends to forget what these politicians did, when election time rolls around.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Didnt I just agree with him too? lol

I just dont see this as a lost cause, I feel that its far from that. I choose to support the effort by supporting those that have the task of fighting on the front lines of the battle rather than spout more frustration on web sites. Ive already said what I have to say more than once.

No, I don't think anyone is saying that the court cases are a lost cause. At least I'm not. I am just saying that there are things that can be done individually to keep the issue alive, and keep politicians from believing that our resolve is faltering. I see this SAFE Act as just the first round of attacks on our rights. I'm thinking this is mostly a test case just to see how far they can bend the Constitution and just what kind of teeth are in the threats of gun owners to take revenge in the next election.

Also, I guess I do use the internet chatter as a kind of measure of our resolve and the amount of concern that we have over the issue. If we're not talking about such things here, then its probably a pretty good assumption that no one is talking about it outside of here. These politicians are watching and I have to believe that right now they feel a whole lot better about their "aye" vote for the SAFE Act than they did a few weeks back. And then too, I wonder how our allies in the legislature feel about sticking their neck out without a lot of consistent and frequent positive feed-back. It could all pay dividends the next time king Andrew and his merry band of gun banners get another hot-flash up their arse about expanding this so-called SAFE Act or coming up with yet another whole new attack on gun owner's rights.

And when crime rates begin to rise, they'll say they need to ban more guns to prevent that. It's a vicious cycle that will wind up banning all guns and getting a lot of innocent people killed.

Is the government that stupid? No. They aren't taking guns to lower crime rates or protect the innocent. They're taking them to prevent the people from winning a revolt that is surely coming after the state goes bankrupt!

And when crime rates begin to rise, they'll say they need to ban more guns to prevent that. It's a vicious cycle that will wind up banning all guns and getting a lot of innocent people killed.

Is the government that stupid? No. They aren't taking guns to lower crime rates or protect the innocent. They're taking them to prevent the people from winning a revolt that is surely coming after the state goes bankrupt!

No, I won't give them the ammo to call us a bunch of raving conspiracy looneys. The fact is that the people that truly believe in gun control really are stupid. They lack logic and reasoning skills. But the more intelligent, cold-blooded legislators understand what a wonderful emotion charged issue gun control is and how it can be converted to votes. Legislators exist only for votes and will do whatever it takes to get them. For most, getting votes at any cost has become their sole function. There is nothing "principled" in their choice of issues. It really isn't anymore complicated than that.

The Tresmond Law Team is in a battle with the state of NY (Cuomo) which they have have every intention of winning. Their attorneys are confident this law "The Safe Act" will be overturned. For the poster who says he's been checking in with NY Firearms I give an F for failing to keep up with one of the most important legal issues NY state has every faced. Its right there on the NY Firearms site, look for posts made by "NYShooter". He is one of the attorneys working on the case and gives briefings on a regular basis, when there are briefings to be given. This is the real legal world and this is a real legal battle which will take time. Give to the Tresmond Law Firm..http://tresmondlaw.com/staging/Welcome.html     your donation will be more bang for your freedom buck than any dollar you ever sent to the NRA......

• Like 1

No, I won't give them the ammo to call us a bunch of raving conspiracy looneys. The fact is that the people that truly believe in gun control really are stupid. They lack logic and reasoning skills. But the more intelligent, cold-blooded legislators understand what a wonderful emotion charged issue gun control is and how it can be converted to votes. Legislators exist only for votes and will do whatever it takes to get them. For most, getting votes at any cost has become their sole function. There is nothing "principled" in their choice of issues. It really isn't anymore complicated than that.

Doc, do you think Bloomberg is a stupid man? He made millions by being smart. He wants power and control now. Cuomo wants the same thing. They don't lack logic or reasoning skills by any stretch of the imagination. They know precisely what they are doing. They are just lying to the masses to misdirect their attention from the real motives behind gun control and gun confiscation. Ask yourself this. How many crimes are committed with the black guns Cuomo banned? Why was he able to get the law passed if most citizens didn't ask for it, or even want it? The truth is, they want to control the people and remain in power. That's what all gun control is about.

Doc, do you think Bloomberg is a stupid man? He made millions by being smart. He wants power and control now. Cuomo wants the same thing. They don't lack logic or reasoning skills by any stretch of the imagination. They know precisely what they are doing. They are just lying to the masses to misdirect their attention from the real motives behind gun control and gun confiscation. Ask yourself this. How many crimes are committed with the black guns Cuomo banned? Why was he able to get the law passed if most citizens didn't ask for it, or even want it? The truth is, they want to control the people and remain in power. That's what all gun control is about.

Well, I know that stuff makes great novels. I mean who can resist the theme of the government run amok and bent on the violent take-over and enslavement of the masses. And yes any such story has to begin with the dis-arming of the citizens .... lol. But believe me, the real purpose of gun control in the legislature is purely vote gathering. Yes they have calculated that the recent episodes of violence against school children  has provided exactly the proper issue to yield a good harvest of votes. This is how they look at these kinds of issues. What better way to get votes than to appear to be a protector of our youngsters. If it wasn't so transparent, it would be comical. I have absolutely no respect for these idiots, but as long as I want to be taken seriously in the gun debate, I probably will not be spouting conspiracy theories about how these people are positioning for future removal of Democracy and the implementation of dictatorial powers. I will agree that these guys want to "remain in power", and pandering to issues that get them the most votes is exactly the way to do it.  And that is really what's behind gun control.

The other side of the coin are the Sarah Brady types  and the average non-gun owner who are just simply are duped into believing that violence can be solved by banning guns. They are the ones that have no ability to use logic or actually reason out the failures of further gun laws. Politicians like Cuomo and Bloomberg and others of their ilk are simply students of voter behavior and have learned how to use hot button issues to create and maintain a base of simpletons who cannot obtain reasoning beyond basic knee-jerk reactions to emotional stimuli. Believe me they are not organizing their storm troopers ..... they don't have to.