Do NOT Forget

fasteddie

Everyone is getting their gear ready for the Southern Zone Bow Opener . Whatever you do , DON'T forget your Hunting License and permits .

A friend of mine just gun hunted and we drove to Geneseo . It's a 50 mile drive . We got our gear out and I asked him where his Back Tag was and he gave me the "oh sha-zit" look . He wasn't going to break the law so he sacked out in my truck . I didn't have any luck that day but I took my time and let him suffer .

I have two totes packed . One with clothes and one with my backpack & my HSS . I gotta get the bowcase and quiver ready to go .

While I appreciate your friends dedication to not breakin the law, I cannot see myself following the same strict code of adherence after a 50 mile trip.  As a lifetime license holder, is there any flexability if I am not carrying since my information can be easily accessed with a driver's license? I know the answer is no, but am hopefull Big Brother would at least take that into consideration.

Guys that break the law on a regular basis often don't get caught . Someone who does it the 1st time usually gets nabbed . He wasn't going to take any chances even with so few DEC officers around . All it would have taken was to run into another hunter and have no tag or have the opportunity to shoot a deer and not be able to tag it . He did the right thing .

Don't forget to have your license Saturday .........

I was turkey hunting in the spring a few years ago. We packed up and switched places and took one vehicle. It got warm so I took my jacket off and left it 30 minutes away. We came out of the woods at 11:50am, ten minutes early but the DEC officer was waiting for us to come out. She wanted to check our licenses and backtags. Well I got my wallet out and had my license but I could not produce my backtag. It was on my jacket, in my car, 30 minutes away.

She (<the DEC officer) was pretty adamant even though I had my license. I got the lecture that she could write me a ticket for not having it and then my buddy pulled out his badge. She smiled and we were on our way.

Lesson learned that day:

Even if it is hot, take your coat with you but if you do leave it behind, be sure to be hunting with a firend in law enforcement.

i drove and hour at night and basically camped out for a few then planned to hunt sun up 5 or 6 years ago got in my climber and no f--ing release! that was bad i def would have rolled the dice with the back tag and license i am lifetime guy so i would hope they would have some slack but you might have to wait and fight the ticket.