How often do you..

Jrs5144

I'm terrible at keeping out of areas deer hang out in.

I check mine daily.

I think the deer get suspicious if they don't see me around every day!

I was wondering if they every actually get used to your smell? Say if I check them once a week for a few months, the deer smells me, doesn't associate my smell with seeing me or danger... Seems like I could just become a regular smell over time? What do you think wishful thinking?

I believe it's VERY possible and have seen it first hand.., although I wouldn't recommend it starting right now.

I know we had a post on here somewhere about conditioning deer to routine intrusions. It's not something that happens overnight or even the course of 2 months, but spend enough time out there and it will eventually happen IMHO.

• Like 2

I believe they do get use to a smell or certain activities. My cousin raises

Shepherds and the deer come into yard for the apples. I had a buck on

My camera all the time last yr. think he waited for me and followed me. Lol

I like to check mine at least every other week because I get antsy.

I am going on vacation in a few days and won't be able to mine for at least

A month. It's going to drive me nuts!

Sorry Phade...I just don't agree with that period...This from someone on her hunting land every single day...my resident deer know me...It's during late August and Sept. I try to stay clear of the main areas I plan to hunt early...and that's because the buck are starting to venture out of their summer homes and are checking out where the doe are...those deer do not know my scent...but that's when I start removing the cameras....

• Like 1

Checking a camera is the same as going in and out hunting. Every intrusion does damage. No if ands or butts about it. Thats why first time in has a higher percentage rate.

A deers nose is nothing to be toyed with. It can process smells individually at the same time. These same people that hunt with carbon wash clothes in scent free soap and do crazy things for hunting will go in stunk up bare hand cams once a week. Cams do more damage than good for most hunters because of poor technique.

Sorry but every intrusion lessens your chance on mature bucks. You aren't going to condition him to your stink in his bedroom or living room or hallway.

• Like 2

Checking a camera is the same as going in and out hunting. Every intrusion does damage. No if ands or butts about it. Thats why first time in has a higher percentage rate.

A deers nose is nothing to be toyed with. It can process smells individually at the same time. These same people that hunt with carbon wash clothes in scent free soap and do crazy things for hunting will go in stunk up bare hand cams once a week. Cams do more damage than good for most hunters because of poor technique.

Sorry but every intrusion lessens your chance on mature bucks. You aren't going to condition him to your stink in his bedroom or living room or hallway.

Phase, do you own your own land? I'm curious as to what you think about farm equipment and the intrusion of people doing work on food plots? As crazy as this sounds, do deer come accustomed to this type of interruption and realize that there will eventually be a food source for them?
  • Like 1

Phade your talking apples to oranges when it comes to "hunting land" and home owner hunting property your right when it comes to camps and leases...not with lands hunters live on...sorry to many of us land owners see a different picture...the resident deer become accustom to us...this is as many years experience then many on here have been alive...lol

Phase, do you own your own land? I'm curious as to what you think about farm equipment and the intrusion of people doing work on food plots? As crazy as this sounds, do deer come accustomed to this type of interruption and realize that there will eventually be a food source for them?

I only own a handful of acres.

Deer will get used to ag work and residential work. But intruding into their bedrooms is entirely different. You notice people walking down your street...all you do is keep an eye on them. When someone walks across your living room or into your bedroom, your reaction is much different. I hope that makes sense.

Also realize that a mature buck is a fully different animal than other deer. What they tolerate is different than does fawns and young bucks.

• Like 1

Wooly, you might be the deer whisperer!

I am thinking about this and i came up with an idea. I will find a deer i want and have wooly out and he can just call it in to stand in front of my gun.

Would you do that for me? lol

• Like 1

I am thinking about this and i came up with an idea. I will find a deer i want and have wooly out and he can just call it in to stand in front of my gun.

Would you do that for me? lol

Yes I will Paula......., but shhhhhhhh......you must lower your tone to a deer whispering whimper when we speak, and never move your lips untill administering...... "The Kiss of Death",lol

Again I disagree. Lets just leave it at that. Some people want pics of big bucks and some people want the bucks on the wall.

I want pics of the big bucks on your wall......fair enough?

I only remember you posting one last year, so in a sence, I'm calling you out. :fie:

It is a fine balance between working your land, enjoying your land and being low impact.   Having food, water, cover that is hunted low impact is key.   I live on my land, so leaving it low impact is hard as I enjoy improving my habitat just as much as hunting.    By far the biggest factor is human intrusion.   Checking cams too much or not in the correct way for sure impacts deer behavior.    I try to place my cams in areas that are easy to check and not in areas where I am going to disturb normal deer activity at 12 Noon.  Checking cams mid day is key,  being scent free helps, and if you can check your cams by tractor even better.    

• Like 1