Today 8/12/2013 DMP's are available... Did you get your area?

burmjohn

I got 8w and 8r at Sports Authority, My wife was refused 8w and got 1c online (she had 0 pref. pts.)

I never put in for 1c as any of my 1st two choices.....you'll always get it and that prevents you from getting a preference point for any of the harder to get areas for the next year. I always wait until they give out the leftovers to pick up my 1c's.

Just a reminder, if preference points are needed for a zone you are trying to get a DMP make sure you always pick that one first.  I'm pretty sure preference points are only given out on the first try.

I think you're 100% correct..that's why I never put an area that always has leftover tag as any of my choices........it's a waste of a potential preference point.

I think you're 100% correct..that's why I never put an area that always has leftover tag as any of my choices........it's a waste of a potential preference point.

I'ts a waste to not grab 1C, You are awarded a preference point if you are not picked on your first choice, 2nd choice has nothing to do with preference points

• Preference points are won and lost on first permit selection only.
  • If you receive a DMP in your first choice WMU, all available preference points will be used.
  • If you do not receive a DMP in your first choice WMU, you will receive a preference point for the following year.
  • Like 1

I'ts a waste to not grab 1C, You are awarded a preference point if you are not picked on your first choice, 2nd choice has nothing to do with preference points

• Preference points are won and lost on first permit selection only.
  • If you receive a DMP in your first choice WMU, all available preference points will be used.
  • If you do not receive a DMP in your first choice WMU, you will receive a preference point for the following year.

I always get them after they become available as leftovers, but thanks for the clarification...good to know.

I usually go for 4F (i have preference this year)

2nd choice 1C

Oct 1st i grab 2 more 1C

Did they stop the either sex (replacement) tag when you shoot a doe in 1C this year? I Heard there were talks of it.

Danny, I read somewhere that they did. I can't recall if it was a reliable source or if it was more of the rumor type.

Good luck this season!

I usually go for 4F (i have preference this year)

2nd choice 1C

Oct 1st i grab 2 more 1C

Did they stop the either sex (replacement) tag when you shoot a doe in 1C this year? I Heard there were talks of it.

looks like they will still be available......at least according to DEC's website.

WMU 1C Bonus DMP Issuance

Bonus Deer Management Permits for WMU 1C are available to hunters who take antlerless deer on any Unit 1C DMPs (original or Bonus DMPs), during either the Suffolk County regular (bowhunting-only) or firearm season. Bonus DMPs are valid only in WMU 1C during both the regular season and the special January firearms deer season.

There are six locations available to obtain "Bonus DMPs" for Unit 1C

Edited by jjb4900

Ah, yes. however that does not state that they give you an "either sex" tag as the replacement as in years past, looks like they will just issue another "doe tag"

last year for example you could shoot a doe with your DMP tag and receive an "either sex" tag if you shot a buck that tag was essentially dead.

• Like 1

• Bonus DMPs in WMUs (1C, 3S, 4J and 8C)

Hunters who fill a DMP tag by harvesting an antlerless deer can apply for an additional (bonus) DMP to harvest another deer of either sex. Bonus DMPs that are used to take an antlerless deer may be replaced with another Bonus DMP........how's that? it looks like it says either sex to me, so much for people who give out bad info.

Edited by jjb4900

Unfortunately it will decrease the "deer control" in Suffolk county as it will no longer be earn a buck for extra tags

i know a lot of guys that wouldn't take a doe if they could not get a buck (either sex) tag in return

• Like 1