better dump your ammo stockpile

If I read this correctly it only referrs to hand gun and assalt rifles ammunition, what about hunting rifles?

and what do you think the difference is in ammo?

How many calibers were developed for military applications first and them adapted for hunting? A lot of them.

"well I just hunt with a 308 bolt gun" that is ammo that is chambered for a possible assault weapon.

30-06? yup

223? yup

Any Idea how many calibers AR's are made in? That would make everyone of those calibers fall under this whether you are placing them in a bolt gun or single shot.

AR-15, without bolt modification

.17 Remington

.17/223

.20 Tactical

.20 Practical

.20 Vartag

.204 Ruger

.221 Fireball

.222 Remington

.222 Remington Magnum

.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)

.223 Remington Ackley Improved

6x45mm

6mm TCU

6x47mm

6mm Whisper

.25x45mm

6.5mm Whisper

7mm Whisper

7mm TCU

.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)

.338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification

223 WSSM

5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)

243 WSSM

6mm PPC

6mm WOA

6mm BR Remington

6mm Hagar

6.5mm PPC

6.5 WSSM

6.5 WOA

6.5mm Grendel

25 WSSM

6.8x43mm SPC

.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)

7.62x25

7.62x39mm

.30 RAR

300 OSSM

.357 Auto

.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)

.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)

.458 SOCOM

.50 Action Express

.50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation

.17 HMR

.22 LR

.22 WMR

9x19mm

9x21

9x23

30 Carbine

357 Sig

40S&W

400 Cor-Bon

41 Action Express

10mm Auto

45 GAP

45ACP

45 Super

45 Win Mag

There may be more

Now for pistol calibers. The same holds true. almost any caliber is made for a pistol. Look at the Encores, Lone Wolfs and other single shot pistols. 22 LR is a pistol caliber. I think the single shot pistols go up to African calibers like the 416 Rigby or maybe higher. So basically this will effect ALL ammo

If you read it, you will see, in reality it covers ALL ammo sold or used in the state of NY.  No dealer will sell ANY ammo without subjecting the buyer to these rules, because there is too much uncertainty in the law.

And WE get to foot the bill for all of this because we are the ones who are being blamed for all of the carnage bullets do.

These elected officials are wiping the azzes with our Constitutional rights by infringing on them to the point of nullification.  If you think throwing them out of office will stop this stuff from happening in the future, you are wrong.

They will be given appointed state positions by Cuomo for supporting this Safe Act, and they will get paid even higher salaries then.  They feared nothing when they passed this law, and they fear nothing from gun owners in the future either.  That's the reality of the situation whether you like it or not.

The only chance we have left is the courts, and I believe the deck there has been stacked against us in NY State.  Obama is now stacking the deck against us in Federal Courts too, and the SCOTUS will be changed soon also, when Obama gets the chance to appoint a replacement for any right wing SCOTUS judge.  Most rulings currently go 5-4 in favor of our rights, so only a change of 1 justice tips the balance against us.

Hope you guys all plan to support Plan B when the courts turn against us and the 2nd Amendment is nullified in the near future.  Believe it won't come to that if you like, but the signs indicate, and many believe, it is coming for sure.

Has anyone read anything from the NRA regarding this? I'm a member, a disallusioned member, who watched Lindsay put thru the NYC long gun registration with zero NRA opposition. And allowed Gillibrand to be elected senator without NRA opposition. Now the Safe Act. NRA has written off New York State in my opinion.

• Like 1

Has anyone read anything from the NRA regarding this? I'm a member, a disallusioned member, who watched Lindsay put thru the NYC long gun registration with zero NRA opposition. And allowed Gillibrand to be elected senator without NRA opposition. Now the Safe Act. NRA has written off New York State in my opinion.

Don't blame the NRA, Blame NY Gun owners.  Not enough of them are NRA members and they don't care enough about their guns to join.  They wrote off their own 2nd Amendment rights, so why should the NRA waste limited money resources on a lost cause state?  The NRA is making great strides nationally, as it does in states where the membership in the NRA is a high percentage of gun owners.  The NRA needs boots on the ground to fight these political battles and NY State doesn't have them.

Don't blame the NRA, Blame NY Gun owners.  Not enough of them are NRA members and they don't care enough about their guns to join.  They wrote off their own 2nd Amendment rights, so why should the NRA waste limited money resources on a lost cause state?  The NRA is making great strides nationally, as it does in states where the membership in the NRA is a high percentage of gun owners.  The NRA needs boots on the ground to fight these political battles and NY State doesn't have them.

I would think that with every state they lose to the anti gun people, it weakens them in some way.......they should fight the fight regardless, after all, they are the NATIONAL Rifle Association.

They don't lose states.  Some states have gun owners that reject their help.

Besides, bad state gun laws taken to the SCOTUS as NATIONAL violations of the 2nd Amendment, get overturned anyway.  Look at Illinois and D.C. as examples.

But these legal battles cost lots of money.  How much money have NY gun owners contributed to the NRA to help fight their battles?  Not much.

don't take what I'm about to type as personal, but instead as constructive criticism.  as an NRA life member, should you really be telling the gun owners of ny that they are to blame and call this state a lost cause?  i could see where frustration and hostility toward NY as a whole could come from.  I just think you should be pointing these issues out with a sense of remorse and urgency.  condemning us NY gun owners, in general, to be left to fend off anti-gun groups and politicians ourselves won't help increase the membership either.

It doesn't matter now.  For years the NRA has been warning NY gun owners this would happen and for the most part, the reply from NY's gun owners was pure animosity.

If there were lots more NRA members in NY for Cuomo to fear voting against him and his cronies, this would not have happened.  Now that Cuomo has run over NY gun rights, people want to blame the NRA?  Non-members should have gotten in the fight before we got our butts kicked.

Maybe now, if non-members wise up and join, we may be able to overturn this lousy law.  But from what I've seen of many NY gun owners, that will never happen, even if the NRA comes to the rescue and gets the law overturned.

IMHO, and probably in Cuomo's as well, If you're not NRA, you're nothing.

there are 6 million gun owners in ny cuomo won with 5 million votes total cast we need to get gun owners off their ass and vote and get them gone.  But the ambivalence in this state is horrible.  Most gun owners still think the safe act does not effect them as they do not own an assault rifle.  The ammo background check  hold off was intentional until after the election next year.  that was the catalyst needed to piss people off enough to get involved.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

and what do you think the difference is in ammo?

How many calibers were developed for military applications first and them adapted for hunting? A lot of them.

"well I just hunt with a 308 bolt gun" that is ammo that is chambered for a possible assault weapon.

30-06? yup

223? yup

Any Idea how many calibers AR's are made in? That would make everyone of those calibers fall under this whether you are placing them in a bolt gun or single shot.

AR-15, without bolt modification

.17 Remington

.17/223

.20 Tactical

.20 Practical

.20 Vartag

.204 Ruger

.221 Fireball

.222 Remington

.222 Remington Magnum

.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)

.223 Remington Ackley Improved

6x45mm

6mm TCU

6x47mm

6mm Whisper

.25x45mm

6.5mm Whisper

7mm Whisper

7mm TCU

.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)

.338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification

223 WSSM

5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)

243 WSSM

6mm PPC

6mm WOA

6mm BR Remington

6mm Hagar

6.5mm PPC

6.5 WSSM

6.5 WOA

6.5mm Grendel

25 WSSM

6.8x43mm SPC

.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)

7.62x25

7.62x39mm

.30 RAR

300 OSSM

.357 Auto

.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)

.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)

.458 SOCOM

.50 Action Express

.50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation

.17 HMR

.22 LR

.22 WMR

9x19mm

9x21

9x23

30 Carbine

357 Sig

40S&W

400 Cor-Bon

41 Action Express

10mm Auto

45 GAP

45ACP

45 Super

45 Win Mag

There may be more

Now for pistol calibers. The same holds true. almost any caliber is made for a pistol. Look at the Encores, Lone Wolfs and other single shot pistols. 22 LR is a pistol caliber. I think the single shot pistols go up to African calibers like the 416 Rigby or maybe higher. So basically this will effect ALL ammo

Dont forget the AR10 platform, that one covers pretty much all long action calibers as well. Then you have to take into consideration other so called Assault Weapons like the FN FAL, etc that are also chambered in the bigger calibers.

there are 6 million gun owners in ny cuomo won with 5 million votes total cast we need to get gun owners off their ass and vote and get them gone.  But the ambivalence in this state is horrible.  Most gun owners still think the safe act does not effect them as they do not own an assault rifle.  The ammo background check  hold off was intentional until after the election next year.  that was the catalyst needed to piss people off enough to get involved.

not sure why it won't let me quote multiple people.  maybe the new browser.  anyway this and what culvercreek hunt club said it too, these guys have it right.  if all gun owners got out and voted things would be different.  lawsuits take a long time and are an up the cliff battle, not NRA's or NYSRPA's fault, just the way it is.  voting for those who support your rights is the best and maybe only way to turn this around.  don't just go vote.  bring a friends too.

that said I had some huge necessary expenses this month.  next month I may very well end up with lifetime memberships.