Used gun

Dom

Hey all just got/used gun and was wondering what kind of slugs you would suggest?The shotgun is a M66 in 20 guage .When I was growing up they didn't have all these different slugs available as they do in modern times/should I try useing just regular Remington or a diff brand of slugs?

It should be marked on the barrel some where . I don't think you would want to put slugs through a full choke barrel .

Brenneke products are OK for full choke, smooth bores.

I have a full choke 28ga and emailed to confirm last year, any of the non-sabot loads are OK for any gauge..

But you shouldn't run any sabots in a smooth bore.

As Dinsdale says, avoid sabot slugs...

Regular foster slugs or Brennekes  will be fine...

Does your M66 have rifle sights ?  If so it is cylinder bore ( no choke).  Otherwise the choke should be stamped on the left side of the barrel near the reciever.

Foster slugs or brennekes can be used with a full choke barrel with no issues...

I think most of the 20 gauge Ithaca model 66 single shot shotguns are modified choke, I'd pick up severl brands of slugs and try them all out and see which brand you gun shoots the best with. You'd be surprised the difference there is between brands in the exact same make & model of guns.

I have two of the Ithaca model 66 20 gauge shotguns, one has a venilated rib and the other has a plain barrel, I also have two Ithaca model 66 shotguns in 410 gauge and they both have plain barrels. I've never shot slugs through them but wouldn't hesitate to put slugs through them and take them out to shoot a deer. I did use one of the 410s for deer hunting in Pennsylvania years ago for deer hunting and got one just because it was legal. It did the job of taking it down with no problem at all.

Does your 20 gauge have rifle sights or does it have a plain barrel?

I'd say start with the least expensive plain old rifled slugs you can find. Remington sluggers, Federal Classic, Winchester Double-X....... See which ones fly best and stick with them. My old iron sight smooth bore liked Federal. My friends smooth bores liked Remington..Who knows???

• 2 weeks later...

If it has enough meat or stock at the breach end then you could maybe have it drilled & tapped for a scope mount base to put a simple 4x scope on it for some type of sighting system just like the USH. With federal truballs it just might make a decent 50 to 75 yard slug gun.