Bow speeds & arrow weight

shawnhu

Don't know, don't care.

Thats what I pay the local bow shop guy for.....I'm hunting xxxxx, sell me stuff and set the bow up to shoot it correct.

you can go to 5 dif bow shops and leave with 5 dif setups...

as a hunter you should have a foundation and tell them what you want. when you go to a car dealer do you let them choose the car, trim and color for you? thats crazy

first time hunters go based off of what others tell them, as you evolve you tend to know what you want and research what works for you. if you throw money at people and leave with a setup from a shop that says here shoot this then well, thats scary lol

as a hunter you should have a foundation and tell them what you want. when you go to a car dealer do you let them choose the car, trim and color for you? thats crazy

Geeze I never thought of that.<<<<<comedic sarchasm.

Like I said....

I tell them I'm hunting xxxx......lets set it up.

That can include a bunch of different info and parameters; right?

I watch all the buzzwords in the industry and my guy has been talking the same things for the 10 years I known him; thats why I trust him.

But I never shot anything but a couple squirrels, I'm just a newbie.

you can go to 5 dif bow shops and leave with 5 dif setups...

first time hunters go based off of what others tell them, as you evolve you tend to know what you want and research what works for you. if you throw money at people and leave with a setup from a shop that says here shoot this then well, thats scary lol

Some never evolve. This explains all the gut shot deer I hear about every season. Then they blame it on their equipment that they entrusted a shop to do for you.

I would hope it would include parameters... When someone says don't know don't care I pay someone and I shoot, what would you think? Xxxxx what's that? Like dot dot dot, you connect them? :/

He is referring to different animals with the xxxxx, dinsdale hunts all over the world for many different critters.

• Like 1

Don't know, don't care.

Thats what I pay the local bow shop guy for.....I'm hunting xxxxx, sell me stuff and set the bow up to shoot it correct.

This where most hunters/people go wrong. I can't speak for any one else but I bet most of us did just this above the first bow we bought.

Some bow shops really do care about setting up a hunter properly and others just can't wait to get on to the next customer.

Some of us just bought a bow... slapped some accessories on it... shot it 100 times and went out hunting.

The best time to get your bow ready is in the Spring of the year at a bow shop. They have time, they are bored and that's when you can get there undivided attention. If you go to the bow shop in August you will probably get the quick and out the door and on to the next customer.

A good bow shop with consider arrow weight, FOC when setting up your arrows in addition to guiding you in the right direction a far as a bow within  your budget.

Edited by nybuckboy

Among other things lol

I was at the archery range on Saturday and this guy shows up shoots a round through a whisker biscuit with the cock vane facing straight down. His groups were over 12 inches on a 30 yard target. I ask the guy nicely"isn't you arrow upside down?" and he fires back right away "nah, that's how it's suppose to be". He then shoots another round horrible grouping, sits down and doesn't shoot again. Later on, when his buddy asks him if he's going to shoot again, he told his friend he's good and done for the day.

Funny thing is that I wasn't trying to show him up.  I wasn't 100% positive myself and was opening up a dialogue.  Some people think they know everything and gets defensive when they think there's any form of criticism.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 2

I was at the archery range on Saturday and this guy shows up shoots a round through a whisker biscuit with the cock vane facing straight down. His groups were over 12 inches on a 30 yard target. I ask the guy nicely"isn't you arrow upside down?" and he fires back right away "nah, that's how it's suppose to be". He then shoots another round horrible grouping, sits down and doesn't shoot again. Later on, when his buddy asks him if he's going to shoot again, he told his friend he's good and done for the day.

Funny thing is that I wasn't trying to show him up. I wasn't 100% positive myself and was opening up a dialogue. Some people think they know everything and gets defensive when they think there's any form of criticism.

Sure sounds like some of the guys on this very forum. Doewhacker, was that you in disguise?

A good bow shop with consider arrow weight, FOC when setting up your arrows in addition to guiding you in the right direction a far as a bow within  your budget.

Folks must make lousy choices on where to shop if you don't get quality service that would consider all of this right off the bat.

Glad I don't have that problem.

Funny thing is that I wasn't trying to show him up.  I wasn't 100% positive myself and was opening up a dialogue.  Some people think they know everything and gets defensive when they think there's any form of criticism.

yeah its a fine line sometimes with this sport... i cant stand even shooting in places like that, conversing with the owners or pro of the shop is like speaking with jesus. they can do anything just short of walking on water, they way they lend advise is like first rule * you know nothing

or even when you try and have friendly engagement with a fellow archer or hunter they know everything, sometimes its best to remain silent lol

i pop in to places like that and i shake my head more then anything. the best was when i wanted my MR5 (5" brace height) they almost didnt want to special order it for me even after i told them i take full responsibility should i not like it. i did so much research on it i knew what i was getting into. they were trying to sell me a martin or a bowtech or something, im like are you kidding me, i shoot mathews, thats it... this is what i want now order it. long story short, MR5, best bow i ever shot and owned! i love it!the owner even said it was not what he thought and he was telling me originally hes been doing this for over 25 years. 

i think the more you know as a hunter the better you are... the more you know on ANYTHING the better... its that simple. picking any old arrow and old bow and killing a deer doesnt make you good. knowing what you shoot and learning from it is whats key. my info is in my sig, its good info to know. guys should know what they shoot, not just shoot something and say "well it works"

One point that maybe needs a bit of clarification is that just because one does not worship at the altar of the "speed" gods does not mean that they don't understand the principles involved in archery equipment selection. In fact some of those that try to apply some perspective and understanding as to what the give-and-take aspects of trying to squeeze out that last FPS may actually have a better handle on what is really getting the bigger and more meaningful bang for your buck.

Oh, and by the way, the philosophy of "Well it works" is not necessarily a bad thing. But an even better one would be "Well it works everytime".

Doe, you came down and didn't even call? The wife made sauce, we even had lobster because they were on sale. Pizza? Smh...

Well I had to disguise myself, can't let word get out that I love the city and especialy the best pizza ever.

Speaking of Lobsta, we are leaving for Nova Scotia in the AM and they have McLobster on the menu up there..no joke. Lobster is so cheap up there they just about give it away! I'm loading up while we are there.

• Like 1