New Pistol Permit Holder

Anyone have any information about what's legal/ illegal with regards to carrying a pistol when deer hunting during regular season?  I just got my pistol permit (finally..... applied in January 2012) and there seems to be a lack of information about specifically what is allowed.  Any links to this information would be most helpful.  The DEC website and 2013-2014 Hunting & Trapping guide doesn't seem to cover this topic very well.

Specifically....

Can you carry a handgun while hunting with a shotgun?  If so, are there caliber limits/ restrictions or shot limits/ restrictions as far as how many bullets can be in the magazine? 

Assuming you can carry a pistol with you while shotgun hunting, is it legal to use that as a secondary firearm to put a kill shot into a deer? 

I've read that you can't carry for this purpose during bow season which makes sense but what about Muzzleloading? 

Thanks!!

"Can you carry a handgun while hunting with a shotgun?  If so, are there caliber limits/ restrictions or shot limits/ restrictions as far as how many bullets can be in the magazine?"

Yes you can, all normal regs apply.

Basically, any autoloader pistol with a barrel less than 8 inches is allowed to have 7 rounds (SAFE Act), otherwise it doesnt matter. It cannot be rimfire. Barrel length cannot exceed 16".

"Assuming you can carry a pistol with you while shotgun hunting, is it legal to use that as a secondary firearm to put a kill shot into a deer?"

Yes

"I've read that you can't carry for this purpose during bow season which makes sense but what about Muzzleloading?"

Not legal in muzzle loader season unless its a muzzle loading pistol.

• Like 1

"Can you carry a handgun while hunting with a shotgun?  If so, are there caliber limits/ restrictions or shot limits/ restrictions as far as how many bullets can be in the magazine?"

Yes you can, all normal regs apply.

Basically, any autoloader pistol with a barrel less than 8 inches is allowed to have 7 rounds (SAFE Act), otherwise it doesnt matter. It cannot be rimfire. Barrel length cannot exceed 16".

"Assuming you can carry a pistol with you while shotgun hunting, is it legal to use that as a secondary firearm to put a kill shot into a deer?"

Yes

"I've read that you can't carry for this purpose during bow season which makes sense but what about Muzzleloading?"

Not legal in muzzle loader season unless its a muzzle loading pistol.

PERFECT!!

• 1 month later...

yea i'm also a new permit holder.  i'll have to look but there's this little blinder with all the gun laws for NY that you can purchase and they send you updated pages as changes to laws are made.  i'll try and remember to post more info when I get home.

I was speaking to the legality of it. Any Centerfire is ok.

When you said .38 I took it to mean the caliber not the round .38 special. Sorry.

Yeah, no worries.  I personally hunt with a .44 magnum when I decide to hunt with my pistol.  I don't mess around.  lol.

I just applied for mine down here in NYC about a week ago. Looks like I have a long road ahead of me until I find out the verdict. Great.

Good luck there,  NYC is like a different country with all their stupid gun laws!  They should be their own state & give the rest of us a break instead of screwing all of us!   jmho.

I just applied for mine down here in NYC about a week ago. Looks like I have a long road ahead of me until I find out the verdict. Great.

Good luck there,  NYC is like a different country with all their stupid gun laws!  They should be their own state & give the rest of us a break instead of screwing all of us!   jmho.