I sure miss ...

Grouse

My thoughts from the tractor seat.
By Don Hartman.

I sure miss the kind of people I grew up around... the kind that knew how to fix things when they broke, like trucks, tractors, leaky faucets, and such. Those from the generation that had guts, character and willpower... the ones that lived through world wars and the Great Depression... not by choice but because they had to.

I miss the early morning coffee drinkers... the ones that got up early and stayed at it late because that's just what you do if you want to get it done. I miss those folks that helped each other in times of need... but refused to ask others for help. The ones that didn’t have much, but they were content with what little they had.

I miss the generation that also was easygoing and never too busy to stop and visit over the fence and just chew the fat, or had time to stop and cut a watermelon on the turn row. The kinda folks that would offer a glass of tea, or maybe sit in the shade and eat a milk nickel on a hot summer day. Folks that when the weekends came around would get together and play cards or dominos. The ones that wanted to go hunting and fishing together.

My generation is the last taught by those great men and women. They are now the ones with gnarled hands and stooped shoulders, white hair and wrinkled skin. Many are fading, and many are dead and gone.

That generation accomplished so much and prospered, they passed that prosperity on without most of us having earned it... now many have gotten to the point that it is expected.

Each generation wants to give their children a life better than they had, which is a noble gesture... but a true disservice.

But of all they taught us and gave us, there is one thing that a lot have failed to learn and that is... that most things that come easy don’t last... but the things that last don’t come easy.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Grouse said:
My thoughts from the tractor seat.
By Don Hartman.

I sure miss the kind of people I grew up around... the kind that knew how to fix things when they broke, like trucks, tractors, leaky faucets, and such. Those from the generation that had guts, character and willpower... the ones that lived through world wars and the Great Depression... not by choice but because they had to.

I miss the early morning coffee drinkers... the ones that got up early and stayed at it late because that's just what you do if you want to get it done. I miss those folks that helped each other in times of need... but refused to ask others for help. The ones that didn’t have much, but they were content with what little they had.

I miss the generation that also was easygoing and never too busy to stop and visit over the fence and just chew the fat, or had time to stop and cut a watermelon on the turn row. The kinda folks that would offer a glass of tea, or maybe sit in the shade and eat a milk nickel on a hot summer day. Folks that when the weekends came around would get together and play cards or dominos. The ones that wanted to go hunting and fishing together.

My generation is the last taught by those great men and women. They are now the ones with gnarled hands and stooped shoulders, white hair and wrinkled skin. Many are fading, and many are dead and gone.

That generation accomplished so much and prospered, they passed that prosperity on without most of us having earned it... now many have gotten to the point that it is expected.

Each generation wants to give their children a life better than they had, which is a noble gesture... but a true disservice.

But of all they taught us and gave us, there is one thing that a lot have failed to learn and that is... that most things that come easy don’t last... but the things that last don’t come easy.

You miss them but did nothing to pass this traditions ans habits on.   The oldtimers teachings to you were wasted and they werent past on... is it this generations nature that different or did we just fail as care takers and teachers... 

I learned alot from my grandparents.  In my impatient youth I also missed some of their teaching. Many times I  wish I could stop down and get answers to questions like when I was a kid. There was alot of life lessons in conversations while performing tasks that I really didn't want to do. I probably learned more than most kids today while turning over a garden and picking tons of rocks .

I miss the stories of my gramps youth growing up in rural Steuben County. Couldn't imagine  hauling full milk cans by horse drawn sleigh, in the middle of winter ,to the creamery 15 miles away.

I have tried to pass on some of what I have learned from them to younger generations. Typically  most don't care. 

Ihave trained many apprentice in the last 20 years.  I make them do things my way.  My name and reputation is on all they do .I tell them when they become a class A they can do it their way .

My favorite  from my gramps  is  " If you don't have time to fix it right the first time how will you find time to fix it a second time ". I use that all the time at work.  I was told my  department head has  been using it in meetings to justify downtime. Nice to know someone is listening. 

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

You miss them but did nothing to pass this traditions ans habits on.   The oldtimers teachings to you were wasted and they werent past on... is it this generations nature that different or did we just fail as care takers and teachers... 

I did nothing to pass these traditions on?  These teachings weren't passed on?  You must be projecting, because in my case they most certainly were taught and passed on.

The big difference these days has been the destructive influence from outside sources that constantly chip away at the teachings from family and community.  The outside sources that try to steal the minds and hearts of today's youth and convince them their elders are idiots.  The influencers that threaten to shun them if they don't follow in lock step with the crowd and embrace subservience to their masters, society and government.

Young people today need to have a massive amount of courage and confidence to survive the onslaught of indoctrination they are victims of.  Unless their family ties and values remain strong, they will succumb to the indoctrination and suffer it's effects for many years, until one day, hopefully, they realize what really matters to them the most.

And that realization will come to them, because of the teaching of traditions and values they received when they were young.

It is interesting to sit back and read the reminiscing of people who really have bothered to stop at least once to take note of how the human condition and attitudes have eroded over time. Seems like the older we get, the clearer it all becomes.  

I appreciate the thoughts offered by Mr. Hartman from his tractor seat, and I also appreciate Grouse for forwarding that article on to us. It seems like a collection of good thoughts to ponder once in a while.

• Like 2

It is interesting to sit back and read the reminiscing of people who really have bothered to stop at least once to take note of how the human condition and attitudes have eroded over time. Seems like the older we get, the clearer it all becomes.  
I appreciate the thoughts offered by Mr. Hartman from his tractor seat, and I also appreciate Grouse for forwarding that article on to us. It seems like a collection of good thoughts to ponder once in a while.

What's up Doc! Good to hear from you again!
Pondering is a great first step in keeping some of those ideals fresh and relevant. "Enforcing" them with the next generation is the action that will give those ideals a shot at surviving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk