CVA muzzleloader

apoallo

the local sport shop by me has a used CVA Hunter Bolt muzzleloader for sale. take #10 primers and is a .54 calibur. For sale for $75.00 Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this particular muzzleloader. It looks like a bolt action but once you open the bolt you just place a primer on the nipple and colse the bolt then load per usual. I am looking to get a wolf optima or the T/C impact. but was wondering about this one. if I can save a few bucks then thats left over $ for another firearm....

how seriously do you intend to get into muzzleloading?........does it have a removable breech plug for cleaning? if I remember correctly, it can take some fumbling around to get the percussion cap into that model....espacially if a quick follow up shot is needed. I personally would not get a .54 caliber.

I  was just curious about it because i dont know much about them but I want to get into it a little. I have my mine set on a new one with a removable breech plug break action style. chances are I will get the wolf or t/c impact both are around 249.99 area. I just want to extend my hunting season with a decent /good reliable beginner MZ. Heard good things about the wolf and the impact. just gonna come down to which one I can find that comes with the most accessories for the right price...

I  was just curious about it because i dont know much about them but I want to get into it a little. I have my mine set on a new one with a removable breech plug break action style. chances are I will get the wolf or t/c impact both are around 249.99 area. I just want to extend my hunting season with a decent /good reliable beginner MZ. Heard good things about the wolf and the impact. just gonna come down to which one I can find that comes with the most accessories for the right price...

I picked up a Traditions Vortex from Cabela's a few years back......very happy with it. If you're going to buy from that type of store, check the company website as well, sometimes they have rebate offers that the dealer may not be aware of.

Cleaning muzzleloaders is a serious consideration.  You have to clean it constantly and pretty much right after you use it.  I have no experience with bolt action muzzleloaders but I'd just imagine that's some extra pieces and steps needed to clean.  I have the Wolf and I'm completely satisfied with it.  Especially at its price point.

Also, based on my limited experience, every time I go to the gun shop, I see .45 cals and .50 cals and #9 primers.  Don't think I've seen .54 caliber or #10 primers.  Availability of ammo and accessories should also be considered.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Cleaning muzzleloaders is a serious consideration. You have to clean it constantly and pretty much right after you use it. I have no experience with bolt action muzzleloaders but I'd just imagine that's some extra pieces and steps needed to clean. I have the Wolf and I'm completely satisfied with it. Especially at its price point.

Also, based on my limited experience, every time I go to the gun shop, I see .45 cals and .50 cals and #9 primers. Don't think I've seen .54 caliber or #10 primers. Availability of ammo and accessories should also be considered.

Elmo,

I am pretty certain I will be gettin the wolf as well. Looking for one of the packages with a scope. In your experience with the wolf what powder bullet combo works best out of your MZ. I am looking at deer hunting up to 100 maybe 150 yards . I don't like pass thru"s I like the knockdown power. Also will target shoot and like the tightest groupings possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I would say for the price of a Wolf, just get that.  I think if you spend the money on a $75 dollar gun, one that you may have to do some tinkering with, you may end up not liking it, and even regretting it. The ability to clean the break open breech styles are far superior to the bolt action styles.  Also its good to start fresh with something like a muzzleloader.  Mine was neglected once, and I have some light pitting near the breech, but it still shoots great.  Now I am anal about it.  I would drive myself crazy with a used gun that may not be in the best shape.

Just food for thought.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Apoallo,

I was in a rush so I found a quick setup and it worked great for me but haven't had time to tinker with it since.  I used CCI #9 primers, 777 pellets, and TC Shockwaves (.50 caliber) at 250 grains.  I was getting 1 and 1/2" inch groups out to 100 yards with only 2 pellets (100 grains of powder).  There isn't really a place for me to range it out to 200 yards readily available but I'm sure with 3 pellets (150 grains of powder) I can get some nice groups out to 150 yards easily.

The doe I shot was at around 50-70 yards and it couldn't have been any better.  Went in one side, obliterated both lungs, and barely made it out of the other side (exit hole was small).  Meaning probably 90% of the energy was released into the target.

Edited by Elmo

I have a traditions buck hunter that sounds similar to the CVA hunter. It is a pain to break down for cleaning. If it isn't kept very clean the nipple clogs in no time, The bolt will stick causing the gun not to fire. I could also never get accuracy I felt acceptable out of it clean or not (couldn't even keep the groups on the target).

I bought a CVA wolf a couple years ago. It is simple to break down and clean, I have yet to have any malfunctions, and it will keep groups within a 3" circle with little effort from me and print cloverleafs on the target if do my part.

I would get the impact or wolf over the bolt cva.

If you shoot bh209 you will be shocked at how clean the barrel is . There is no need to swab the barrel inbetween shots. Shooting loose powder vs pellets is far more effective , you can raise or lower the charge in five grain increments. There is no need to shoot 150gr to reach 150 yards. 100 gr is more then effective at that range.

Most shock wave aka sst shoot nice groups. You could try .452 xtp pistol bullets in 250 or 300 grain and buy the sabot separate from harvester or mmp. Far cheaper to buy bulk then pre packaged bullets.

If you choose to shoot t7 or pyrodex powder a simple water/ windex blend will clean the barrel in one or two swabs.then run a dry patch and shoot again. Depending what model wolf you get you might need a different plug to shoot bh209 or modify the existing one. Western powders sells one as does cva.

Don't look past some conical bullets like the fpb,bull shops or no excuses.

As for pass throughs, I will take them every time .

If it were me I would choose the impact.

http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm

Good luck with it. Not telling you what to do, but I'd never let my wife or daughter shoot a CVA or Traditions. Cheap isn't worth injuries.

Next time you post trash,take some to time to figure out who Randy Wakeman is and who was paying him to write trash .

I bought the cva wolf today got it a a good price $309 for the MZ scope case and some little extra parts. Got the model capable of magnum loads and it is the blues barrel with camo stockattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1378661076.297880.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1378661091.210602.jpg

Great choice, superb gun....