Helicopter hunting

apoallo

So I just watched an episode on the outdoor channel of 2 guys with Ar15 hunting hogs on a ranch from a helicopter. Then they used crossbow and then moved on the compound bow. Doesn't seem very sporty to me. However

I can see Xbox and compound because it takes more skill to hit a running hog while the helicopter is moving as well. More room for error gives the pigs more of a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most likely the objective wasn't to have sport. I suspect they were trying to exterminate or severely deplete the hog population. In fact I don't understand why they bothered with the crossbow and especially the compound. I didn't see the program, but I hope they weren't trying to portray that as some kind of sport-hunting activity. I do understand the frustration of Texas ranchers. And I can understand the use of all means of getting rid of those things.

By the way, it is pretty darn hard to feel sorry for a pig, but I do wonder how many of them get wounded and simply crawl off somewhere to a slow death. Wouldn't you think that with all the vibration and motion of a chopper, even a good marksman with a good rifle, would be hard-pressed to draw a steady aim on anything? I don't know I never tried it myself.

I can see Xbox and compound because it takes more skill to hit a running hog while the helicopter is moving as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Xbox takes skill but I'm more of a Playstation kind of guy.  It takes serious accuracy and arm strength to throw a Xbox at a running hog.  :haha:

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Even varmint and invasive species deserves respect.  They were taken from their homes, bought over to game preserves to be hunted.  They wanted to live instead so they escaped just like anyone else would.

They need to be killed, plain and simple. Do you praise the mouse you caught in a mouse trap? Honor the woodchuck digging holes in your yard? Please. Im not saying they should be tortured, but being shot from a helicopter is a far cry from a sadistic act.

They need to be killed, plain and simple. Do you praise the mouse you caught in a mouse trap? Honor the woodchuck digging holes in your yard? Please. Im not saying they should be tortured, but being shot from a helicopter is a far cry from a sadistic act.

You stretched my comments a bit too far.  I never said anything against shooting them from a helicopter.  As I was referencing the article, eradication is necessary by any means necessary but we should also not let it cloud our ethics.  I lay out glue traps which are torture for mice.  I still do it.  But when I see the mouse stuck on the trap I end it's life quickly.  The main problem is that people start to disassociate varmint from other animals entirely and will start to "play" with the mouse in the glue trap.

Which is why I said you have to separate the two in your mind. Playing with the mouse on the glue trap is entirely different than just killing the mouse for eradication purposes. You are describing something sadistic.

The OP was just about whether its sporting or not to shoot pigs from a helo. Im saying that theres no sport involved, and it isnt sport hunting, so theres no reason to even debate whether its sporting or not. Its not, and it doesnt need to be. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3y7WJmMJOw

I think we've seen this footage before.  I won't make accusations about the shot.  Did the shooter stalk the hog for some time and the hog never present a broad side shot?  Did the shooter try for a quartering away shot but accidentally hit the bung hole or did he purpose try to hit the bung hole to see if he could do it?

What I do see was no follow up shot was taken during the short length of the footage.  Dog got in the way, no attempt to call the dog back was made during the short length of the footage.  Shoot claims it was a texas heart shot.  It could be.  Slow motion shot ended at the 19 second mark but the hog was still thrashing and squealing at the 44 second mark when the footage ended (25 seconds) and the shooter thought it was funny enough to laugh through out the event.  There's a lot of things we don't know about what really happened here to question the ethics of what really happened here but I'm just curious as to what people's reactions would be if that was a trophy deer instead of a hog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3y7WJmMJOw

I think we've seen this footage before.  I won't make accusations about the shot.  Did the shooter stalk the hog for some time and the hog never present a broad side shot?  Did the shooter try for a quartering away shot but accidentally hit the bung hole or did he purpose try to hit the bung hole to see if he could do it?

What I do see was no follow up shot was taken during the short length of the footage.  Dog got in the way, no attempt to call the dog back was made during the short length of the footage.  Shoot claims it was a texas heart shot.  It could be.  Slow motion shot ended at the 19 second mark but the hog was still thrashing and squealing at the 44 second mark when the footage ended (25 seconds) and the shooter thought it was funny enough to laugh through out the event.  There's a lot of things we don't know about what really happened here to question the ethics of what really happened here but I'm just curious as to what people's reactions would be if that was a trophy deer instead of a hog?

Poor shot poor sportsmenship and lack of respect for the animal. 

Which is why I said you have to separate the two in your mind. Playing with the mouse on the glue trap is entirely different than just killing the mouse for eradication purposes. You are describing something sadistic.

The OP was just about whether its sporting or not to shoot pigs from a helo. Im saying that theres no sport involved, and it isnt sport hunting, so theres no reason to even debate whether its sporting or not. Its not, and it doesnt need to be. lol

I agree with you 100%  it is not sport nor should it be. however, the way they aired the show I can see how it would come across cool and fun for others. It was more of a game for the people participating. Did they go back with a vehicle and pick up the hogs and put the meat to use???? I would like to think they did but more than likely the hogs were just piled up in the brush and let sit to rot. I. I don't think the show should even be a tv show.  it just gives young minds and non hunters a poor image of REAL sportsmen /women

There are some things that are labeled "hunting" that I would just as soon not be associated with. It always bothers me when some jerk decides that those things should be aired on TV or some other public media. What ever made anyone think that a program like that should be shown on the Outdoor Channel?

I agree with you 100%  it is not sport nor should it be. however, the way they aired the show I can see how it would come across cool and fun for others. It was more of a game for the people participating. Did they go back with a vehicle and pick up the hogs and put the meat to use???? I would like to think they did but more than likely the hogs were just piled up in the brush and let sit to rot. I. I don't think the show should even be a tv show.  it just gives young minds and non hunters a poor image of REAL sportsmen /women

I have heard that those services donate the meat down there, but I cant speak for sure, its just what Ive heard. I would jump at the chance to participate in something like that. Looks like a ton of fun!

Well, I will say that it really boils down to slaughtering. As long as it's done in a humane way, and the meat is used adequately, it does become even more like slaughterhouse killing. As long as it isn't televised or passed off as hunting, I guess I really can't be too negative about it. They are performing a useful control activity and perhaps even feeding some people that might otherwise go without.