Early Bear Season Begins!

Jafo

Got up to my yurt in the Adirondacks nice and early today and have triple checked everything I am going to need tomorrow.  Having a couple cold ones next to the wood stove (it is 42 here now) and munching on some chili. I don't have high expectations tomorrow because it is still so early in the fall, but still looking forward to hiking a bit out in the woods and watching the wildlife go by up here in 5H.  This must be one of the most special places in the park!

Oh, and here is a panaromic of the yurt: :)

post-1655-0-34659800-1379127933_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just what is a yurt: looks cool though!

It is a round Mongolian structure, hard to explain.  Here is the wikipedia info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt

Alls I can say is, they make great hunting camps.  Once you build the platform (deck) the rest goes up in a day and they last for a long time (the roof itself is warrantied for 15 years).  Mine is a 30' diameter yurt, which as you can see, is very spacious.  30' is generally the largest yurt you are going to get in NY.  It is a year round structure that handles the North country snow just fine.

To have the same sq footage in a standard bulding would have cost me 3-4 times as much as what I paid for the yurt.  Not only that, the yurt is somewhat portable.  I mean, I don't want to move it, but if I ever decided to, I could take down the bulk of it in about a day and load it up on trucks and move it.  It leaves an extremely small footprint. 

With the insulation package, I stay in this yurt at -20 in shorts and a t-shirt (with the wood stove going).  I have owned it for 2 years now, and can't say enough good things about it.

Edited by Jafo

I paid a contractor friend of mine to build the platform, but honestly, had I had the time and tools and knowledge, I could have built that myself.  Unfortunately my understanding of pi begins at the end of a fork ;).  The rest of it comes in a kit, with instructions, and you just pop it up yourself.

Oh and the woodstove belonged to a cousin of mine who had it in an old camp not that far away.  He doesn't use the camp anymore (it is falling down) and he told me to take it.  It is a very nice Swedish S flow stove from the 1960's.  It does a great job.

Just getting back in from the early morning hunt.  It is windy, cold, and a little rainy here and absolutely nothing moving, not even the squirrels.  It is supposed to clear up soon, so I will probably head back out in a couple hours and do some hiking around. 

I assume there is some kind of vent or window in the center of the roof. ( I see the screw pole thing hangin there).

As for the vent, yes, there is a giant plexiglass dome at the top of the yurt that you can crank open if you want. Nice when it heats up, you let it right out. :)

Going up to my adirondack camp next Saturday. I have some minor prep to do on my deer stand. You better believe I will be sitting real ealy Sunday morning to get a chance at smokey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It is pretty thick up here right now, hard to see.  I saw no sign today which was unusual.  The only thing I saw today were yote tracks.  I have to admit, towards the end I was a bit footsore.  First outing of the season.  I moved a bit noisily once I tired out.

• Like 1

Since there seems to be some interest in the yurt, you might also like to know that I have some solar panels here hooked up to a couple of rather large marine batteries.  The panels are those cheap ones from harbor freight (3 sets).  I have two inverters, an 800 watt which I use most of the time, and a 2,000 watt for when I need a little more power for saws and such.  An uncle of mine services LED signs in Alabama and every few years they rewire them with new LED's and they throw out the old ones.  He sends me a box of them from time to time.  They are 12v lights and come in real handy because they throw off a LOT of light using very little juice.  I wired up a ring of them at the top of the yurt and it lights up the whole place.  Here is a pic of it:

post-1655-0-27207400-1379292844_thumb.jp

I could run them for a month on these batteries without even charging them up.  I have a string of 5 of them in the outhouse and they run on a single 9v battery.  It lasts about a year before I have to change the battery.