My rifle

donrtowery

I've been working on this one for a bit.  Still have a bit to do...I recently duracoated it and made the mistake of clear coating it, now its way too shiny.  I'll probably end up roughing up the surface and spraying more black on it to dull it down.  I saw some camo gun tape at walmart the other day, I might give that a try :-/

Norinco SKS 7.62x39 Semi-auto (I have a 5 round mag for hunting thats not displayed in the photo)

Modifications:

Removed Bayonet Lug

Synthetic Choate stock

Choate Scope mount

Barska 1x30 Electro Red Dot Sight

Williams Rear Peep Sight

KNS Front Crosshair sight post

Promag 5 round detachable Magazine

Duracoat in HK Black

9828045953_42086d21ff_b.jpg

Edited by donrtowery
  • Like 1

You can find a de-glosser in the paint dept. at your local hardware store; simply wipe away the shine!

Thats awesome, i'll check into that.  Thanks for the tip!

If your worried about the shine scaring some animals, I wouldn't fret it.

I'll be hanging some camo netting in a couple of weeks around the food plots I just planted (I know, its late, hopefully something will grow tho) So i'm not terribly worried about the shine, this year anyway.

How's it shoot?

Its amazing.  When I first got it, I tore it down and inspected it before firing.  Took it outside, fired 1 round into the woods, no explosions or misfires.  Fired 2 rounds into the woods, no feed issues, explosions, misfires, or slamfires (full auto firing, an issue resulting from it having a free floating firing pin rather than a spring loaded one).  Loaded up the last 7 rounds from the 10 round stripper clip and unloaded into a tree trunk that the loggers left behind (the sawn part was facing me).  Just with iron sights, from about 45 yards, 7 shots in probably 3 seconds, 6 of them were in a 3 inch grouping in the inner most ring.   I had a bit of trouble sighting in the red dot sight yesterday.  After putting about 80 rounds through it, I found that the scope mount was loose, I forgot to put locktite on the scope mount screws *facepalm*.  So i'll be going back out probably Sunday and sighting in again.

What's your plans for it, zombies?

Zombies, Deer, Home Defense, Pleasure Shooting, the ammo is cheap and plentiful when theres no panic buying going on :-/.  Luckily supplies are starting to return to pre-panic ratios.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my Whole  870 ,scope,mounts , bbl, action and stock.5 years ago with Krylon camo paint ( spray can ) 5 different colors, I used leaves and twigs and sprayed over them,Sprayed a flat cleat over it .Holding up better then I thought.Cleaned everything with acetone first. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Norinco SKS about 16 years ago for 119.00, just to tinker with . I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and engineering. I cleaned up the trigger, scoped it, and had a fair bit of fun with it but never really had a use for it. The gun case was too full already so I sold it towards another gun. I do wish I still had it.

I wouldn't worry about it either.   When I was about 16 (think 40+ years ago) my .300 Savage 99E finish was coming off by the front of the comb so I decided to refinish it.   Well, being young and stubborn, I just HAD to do what everyone else said to NOT do.  Honestly, I don't recall the exact process I used but I painstakingly did it by hand and I remember about 30 coats of hand rubbed Linseed oil was in there, QUICKLY hit it with a stain and finished in a gloss.   Long story short, if I'm hunting deer in rifle country, that's what I take and I've taking a LOT of deer with it.  I wouldn't be real worried about the gloss finish I guess is the point.  I suppose if the conditions were exactly perfect a bust would be possible, but highly unlikely.

As always, to each their own.  A lot would say I'm nutz for carrying this but I like it. <shrug>

P1010344_zpsddafa9fa.jpg

P1010345_zps32562834.jpg