Ossian / Rattlesnake Hill Gun opener

genesee_mohican

Wow, never heard of someone not drawing a tag for letchworth. That stinks.

I don't know about the crowds as I have never been there opening day, but I will say this, I've asked the DEC biologists where they would go on opening day for public land, and each of them all answered "way back in Rattlesnake Hill." Letchworth produces some monsters, but it wasn't even a competition for them...Rattlesnake Hill all the way.

Friend owned one of the last cabins within the state land (state bought it out and tore it down ) years ago but he has a lot of impressive racks on the wall. I would think that there are still deer like that are there today. ccan't answer for opening day but sound like your willing to go extra effort and will do well.

• 2 weeks later...

I killed my biggest buck there over 145gross 11pt. you have to go back in. I don’t normally hunt there I found the spot while grouse hunting 1weekend a few years ago before bow open on oct. 1st . Killed it that same year on the 28th of Oct.

A couple things one is rattle snake is in both Livingston and Alleghany  counties one is rifle the other is not.

I would go up England hill rd it’s pass the town of swain on the left side of rout 70 need 4wd to get up the hill also before you get to rattle snake  there is Alleghany county forest I killed a nice 8pt on it may get less pressure.   

Edited by Larry

Thanks for the info. I've studied maps for hours on end, hiked some good looking spots the last few weekends and I'm impressed..... (and tired, man there sure is a lot of land up there! ) I put up a stand for gun over in the Ossian Forrest. I'm hooked on this area and will continue to explore.

GM