Out of Shape

the blur

For someone who is out of shape pretty bad, it would take much for ones heart rate to shoot up. Someone who is conditioned can do it all day and remain at 100bpm. If your out of shape not you but someone who is going out for a miles or so walk, their heart rate would absolutley get up around the 130 mark, if they added a quick 40 yard sprint once or twice, it would be all the better.

Somone who is conditioned needs to throw hiccups in to keep the body guessing. And cardio on an empty stomach in the AM is how you will burn the most fat.

Warren's story above is exactly like mine, only he did something about it.  My problem is I think I'm invincible (as my wife tells me all the time), that even with this weight, I can walk the mountain, take a long hike, play some basketball, etc.  I'm a borderline diabetic, just a heart attack waiting to happen.  Most people don't do anything about their physical problems till it's too late.  I hope to God I'm not one of those people.

Another area where guys get wrong is caloric intake. High calories for weight loss does not go hand and hand.

When one hops ona diet they set a goal for calories, now I don't belive in counting them cause you can go crazy doing so but if you do it a week or 2 it tends to become second nature. Having said that when I hop on a diet after taking a break my body is automatically shocked because I'm prob knocking 2k cal off my daily intake right off the bat, as time goes on, weight loss progress will always tend to slow down. Every week or 2 I constantly back down in my caloric intake through out the summer until I get down to about 1500-1600 calories a day. High calories and weight loss do not go hand and hand. Eating small meals 6 times a day or so does but it's only to keep your metabolism up. After a while your body gets used to it and weight loss slows, hence why you start backing down your calories.

Like I said, the body is an amazing unit. It's so complex but having an understanding on how your body runs, what it needs and how to keep it guessing is where guys lack. They say oh, I'll strap weights to my body and run or go to the gym and rack every machine 3 times but they fail to understand how their own body operates and really how to lay a diet and workout plan down for them self...

Making the right choices goes a long way. As I neared the 50 mark it was time to change up the diet and introduce more vegetables. I was always big on the greens but had to add more to the diet. They play a huge role in my diet now along with oatmeal.

Edited by First-light

In order to loose the weight most seek, you have to diet. Diet and workout go hand and hand. You are what you eat, it's just that simple. You may think your eating "better" then what you were but you may need more. The black bags? Howmuch sleep were you getting? After diet and workout, sleep is amongst the most important. You actually burn alot of calories while sleeping but if your not getting enough of it, it's bad...

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking papist? Weight/height/age

Not to bust your chops but ice cream is a big part of your Recovery plan???

Who on earth told you that? All this calorie rise and eating is mental, it's in your head. Sounds like you havnt been on a real diet or one that would really benefit you hence why you may have struggled and looked sickly on your last one. The right diet wl always make you feel like a million bucks hands down. Not burden your life or change you for the worse. Obviously eatin makes you feel good, it does to all of us! Lol

But diet can be rather simple, seperation of fats/carbs/proteins can really do wonders. Really tho, a good diet should not give you the results you stated above. If you ever need help on one you can always shoot me a PM. I'd replace your ice cream with Greek yogurt! High in protein or even cottage cheese as a snak around 8 or 9pm

All you fitness guru's, please explain this.   3 years ago, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and have high blood pressure.  So I stopped drinking Snapple.  Stopped adding sugar to my coffee.  And I cut down on carbs, by 50%.   I magically lost 30 lbs in a few months.   WOW, that was easy, without exercise !    Still till this very day, I  do not drink Snapple,  No more sugar in coffee, and I try to eat low carbs.

But 15 of the 30 lbs came back on !!    WHY !!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????

Do what you think works for you... If you think eating and eating alot or 3k cal is your life saver then go for it.

I know for a fact what it takes to loose weight, put on lean muscle and live a healthy life. And eatin basically whatever you want and eating ice cream is completly wrong. If you were eating the right foods you would have felt the way you did, straight up.

I do not starve myself when I diet and infact I guarentee you my body gets more in what do with 1500 cal then you do with 3k or more. I'll bet anything... I never felt tired or weak or sick. I went from 185 completly out of shape due to work and working on my house for months down to having a 6 pack in less then 3 months. I looked at felt my best at 31 and it didnt come from just putting fuel in my body.

Guys who do the right thing will see results pretty quick. I'm 5.7, it's a lot harder at my height to drop thwt much weight then someone who is really over weight at 6 foot trust me. They can drop 15-20lbs in month one and if they don't, they are not doing the right thing.

Good luck tho

All you fitness guru's, please explain this. 3 years ago, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and have high blood pressure. So I stopped drinking Snapple. Stopped adding sugar to my coffee. And I cut down on carbs, by 50%. I magically lost 30 lbs in a few months. WOW, that was easy, without exercise ! Still till this very day, I do not drink Snapple, No more sugar in coffee, and I try to eat low carbs.

But 15 of the 30 lbs came back on !! WHY !!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????

Your body works on homeostasis.. That curve ball you through your body reacted and you loss weight, your body then Adjusted to the life change and leveled back out.

Your body works on homeostasis.. That curve ball you through your body reacted and you loss weight, your body then Adjusted to the life change and leveled back out.

That was my theory too.   So even if I lost another 20 lbs by exercise, or starving myself.   My body will eventually level back out, at it's desired 210 lbs.   I'm 50yo, 6'2"     I'd definitely like to be 190 lbs.

It's 100% true on how your body works. It's often a struggle in everybody seeking to get in shape. Most call it a platoue but it really is your body learning your daily routine and sched. Your body is very complex. Read my other posts where I speak about keeping your body guessing. What worked for you before is now your bodies norm. You don't have to get crazy to trick it, one or 2 things and your body will say, hey? What's he doing?

Also, it was 3 years ago. If u only put back 15 your ahead of the game, welcome to you bodies new everyday weight. Now buy cleaning up your diet, adding another meal or 2 or even exercise and you will go down even more. Only thing is you would have to keep a semi diet or semi exercise to maintain. Even tho our bodies are complex, they get tired. It's up to us to keep them energized and going. Stay in motion, there may be something else in your diet you are over lookin that you can get rid of or limit.

Oh and don't starve yourself lol. 6.2 ...210lbs, I personally think you can get to where you want to be and stay there.

Howmany meals do you have a day or snacks as well and what does it consist of and how big is the portion? A few more smaller meals or snacks can really up your meto

Oh and don't starve yourself lol. 6.2 ...210lbs, I personally think you can get to where you want to be and stay there.

Howmany meals do you have a day or snacks as well and what does it consist of and how big is the portion? A few more smaller meals or snacks can really up your meto

1000 snacks a day.  I am always in the fridge.   Seriously.   When I'm home, I'm constantly eating.    When I'm at work, I typically eat a lunch, and maybe 1 or 2 snacks.    My wife hates me for the fact I can eat all weekend long, and only be 210 lbs.    Peanuts,  slices of cheese, grapes,  strawberries, etc, etc.  Whatever I find to much on.

Exactly why I say that diet and exercise goes hand in hand.  The magical diets drop off the weight quickly because you shock your system but then you eventually level off and put it back on.  You can work out and still eat like crap and the same will happen.  Combine the two and keep mixing up workouts and setting new goals for yourself and the weight will drop.  

My weight fluctuates 15-20 pounds between the peak of my racing season and the peak of hunting season (sitting and eating snacks...).  

Lol ok I see

Here's the thing, limit those snacks with an hour and half gap. And not so many lol. What ever snacks you have try adding a protein atleast. Instead of regular nuts do a handful of almonds or walnuts. Good protein and EFA's. When I get to a comp I'm going to PM you some foods to try and when to eat them, very simple. Cut down slowly on portion size so in a few weeks you start to to feel fuller quicker with a little less food. It will help shrink your actuall stomach, right now when you eat you prob endulge and eat alot. Which is why you are always snacking because you just can't seem to fill yourself until dinner.

Your situation isn't bad at all, very common. It's an easy goal, you just have to try that's all

• Like 1

right now when you eat you prob endulge and eat alot. Which is why you are always snacking because you just can't seem to fill yourself until dinner.

That explains me perfectly !!!  

When I get home tonight, I'll be snacking before dinner, and while my wife is cooking me dinner.   Then I'll eat all her left overs.    Then a few hours later, I'll be back in the fridge.   It's amazing I'm only 210 lbs.

I'm on the crazier side of eating.  I don't eat breakfast or lunch, just have coffee all day, (1 sugar), and then I "gavone" at night.  I know it's the worst possible scenario for trying to lose or maintain any weight.  The body needs to have a breakfast to get the metabolism started to burn up the fat, but I just don't take the time to prepare anything.  I lose the weight during lent cause I'm cognizant of taking the time to have a light breakfast, a light lunch, drink more water, and lay off all the alcohol.  Sounds easy, but you have to want to do the right thing, and stick with it for the long haul.  It's a tought commitment, and with such a big family, there's always excuses to go off the beaten path. I know I'm my own worst enemy. 

3500 calories roughly equals to a pound of fat.

If you work out a lot, your body will naturally crave energy and you'll start to eat a lot more.  Where people go wrong is when the increase in calories being burned is equal to the increase in calories being consumed.

If you simply diet, your body will start to conserve and slow everything down; including your metabolism.

The ideal is to work out to keep your body from slowing down your metabolism but change your diet where your feeding your increased appetite with high energy, low calorie foods so that your total intake is less than what you burn.

Calories consumed minus BMI minus calories burned through working out = net gained or net loss.

If you work out a lot, your body will naturally crave energy and you'll start to eat a lot more. Where people go wrong is when the increase in calories being burned is equal to the increase in calories being consumed.

If you simply diet, your body will start to conserve and slow everything down; including your metabolism.

The ideal is to work out to keep your body from slowing down your metabolism but change your diet where your feeding your increased appetite with high energy, low calorie foods so that your total intake is less than what you burn.

Calories consumed minus BMI minus calories burned through working out = net gained or net loss.

What he said...

I'm huge into nutrition and lifting. when I'm eating clean, keeping cal intake around 2900, carbs at 300, protein at 250, and low fat and sugar. Sodium also is hard to keep down unless you cook everything your self and eat fresh food. I aim for 2500-3000mg of sodium. Either way, when eating clean, I am stuffed throughout the day. I start with a big breakfasts and eat every 2-3 hours a portioned meal usually brown rice and vegges and lean protein. I literally force myself to eat to obtain 2900 calories. It's amazing to see how low calorie food can be yet filling when you eat the right stuff.

If you work out a lot, your body will naturally crave energy and you'll start to eat a lot more.  Where people go wrong is when the increase in calories being burned is equal to the increase in calories being consumed.

if your on the right diet your metabolism will NEVER slow down. the only time you metabolism slows is when your not eating enough and that in moderation of coarse. im not talking about eating all day every day. i mean, when you eat a meal then you do not eat for 3 hours or more. when that is the case your body adjusts and says well i dont know when i will get food again so the process for food break down and shuttling slows down drastically. NOW, when you feed your body right on a timed sched say every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, your body knows its getting fed and again (adjusts). It knows it will be seeing food again in a short period of time and bodies metabolism speeds up to burn the food consumed before the next sitting in 2 hours. when it knows its getting fed it will burn it up. however dont be fooled, eating spegetti and meat balls every 2 hours WILL NOT give you the results of loosing weight, just saying. but just to let you know, your body will never conserve food, ever, if being fed the right food if you eat meals/healthy snaks for argument sake (8am, 10am, 12, 3, 5-6 and last snack at 9pm) it just wont happen.

What he said...

I'm huge into nutrition and lifting. when I'm eating clean, keeping cal intake around 2900, carbs at 300, protein at 250, and low fat and sugar. Sodium also is hard to keep down unless you cook everything your self and eat fresh food. I aim for 2500-3000mg of sodium. Either way, when eating clean, I am stuffed throughout the day. I start with a big breakfasts and eat every 2-3 hours a portioned meal usually brown rice and vegges and lean protein. I literally force myself to eat to obtain 2900 calories. It's amazing to see how low calorie food can be yet filling when you eat the right stuff.

stats based on a diet of what you listed is a Bulker diet. one looking to bulk up. 

300 grams of carbs (ED) is a lot for someone looking to really cut down and 250 grams of protein (ED)? are you 6.5 / 300lbs plus? its supposed to be 1 gram per lean lb of body weight. thats the best rule of thumb. your body disposes the excess out your back side that it can not consume. Some professional body builders do not even consume that much and the ones that do, can not wipe their own you know what...  if you were eating clean and right you would be starving or really looking fwd to eating  just prior to your next meal. when your forcing yourself to eat, somethings not right. thats your bodies way of telling you need to revise your diet.

and do you really eat 3000mg of sodium? its one of the worst things and has an unbelievable way for retaining water. really give a bloated look and sense of bloating feel.