Out of Shape

the blur

I started walking 3 miles every morning.. then another mile later in the day... Feel better.... trying to get ready for deer season... I'm 20 lbs lighter than I was last season so that's a plus.. I'll be 49 this December and it is getting harder and harder to drop lbs...

What's your 3 mile time ?

That's good training time...both doable and effective.  Even Blur's 19 min. is a good time....break 20 min. for a mile, and you're training.

Remember:  When it comes to exercise, anything is better than nothing (Walking a mile in 30 min. beats hell out of sitting on the couch).....more is better.....up to a point (Yes...it is very easy to over-train.  Even we old, overweight farts could go out and turn in a somewhat respectable time for a walked or jogged mile, but we would suffer thereafter.  Better to start light...and progress slowly!)

As long as I can out run Doewhacker and Steve I know I'm good for our bear hunt.

There is no outrunning us.  The only reason we are taking you bear hunting is to use you as bait.

We will tie you to a tree, smear you with honey and lard, and put donuts in your pocket and under your hat.

There is no outrunning us.  The only reason we are taking you bear hunting is to use you as bait.

We will tie you to a tree, smear you with honey and lard, and put donuts in your pocket and under your hat.

Don't worry Elmer those guys will end up eating all that stuff before "first light"!

Look at'em 2 brains = 0  lol.

post-156-0-25765500-1380128174_thumb.jpg

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

Don't worry Elmer those guys will end up eating all that stuff before "first light"!

Look at'em 2 brains = 0  lol.

No Burt, that's not us.  The attached picture shows us hard at work on your food plots to get permission to hunt your property for 2 days this Fall.  You must be color blind or something??  Those white trash folks in your picture must be someone else on the forum.

post-328-0-47343000-1380128942.jpeg

• Like 1

Im pushin the big 50 come Nov and im in pretty decent shape but man i went down to Letchworth this past weekend and 3 times of climbing up and down 300ft of rope shows ya just how much decent shape may not cut it. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do to tag those ridge runners!

lol im 23 and i struggle in Letchworth!

No Burt, that's not us.  The attached picture shows us hard at work on your food plots to get permission to hunt your property for 2 days this Fall.  You must be color blind or something??  Those white trash folks in your picture must be someone else on the forum.

Your right Steve my bad. BTW you guys realize that you have  put the toilet paper in the toilet and flush???? Can't teach an old dog a new trick. 

I just might hire those White Trash folk next year. Oh yea your deer hunt weekend is December 21st and 22nd. Love it or leave it!

post-156-0-66572800-1380135496_thumb.jpg

After one shoulder surgery and then dislocating the other one I have packed on a few pounds since I was not able to excersise the way I normally do. Now that I am healed I am trying to get back into it. Thank god I'm doing this now becuase the lack of activity over the past year has left me really sore now that I'm back at the gym. Hopefully I can snap back by the opener so I'm not hobiling all over the woods. That will be itneresting if I need to drag a deer out. Been doing a lot of cardio and weight lifting getting myself ready.,

Your right Steve my bad. BTW you guys realize that you have  put the toilet paper in the toilet and flush???? Can't teach an old dog a new trick. 

I just might hire those White Trash folk next year. Oh yea your deer hunt weekend is December 21st and 22nd. Love it or leave it!

It wasn't us who left that mess.  You didn't even let us into your cabin when we did your food plots.  Didn't even offer us a stinking glass of water actually.  Next year we are going back to trespassing on your land when you aren't there.  

• Like 1

Won't hit fifty for a few more years, but need to drop a few myself.  Since changed to a desk job 12 years ago, I grew some additional stomach muscles and neck muscle.

I started walking the dog a couple miles in the evening, and that helped until we had a bear hanging out in the neighborhood.  That put the 5 lbs lost back on.  Once the bear was gone, starting walking the dog until it was just too hot to do that.  Started to take walks again since it cooled off again, and guess who was in my yard at 6:00 the other night.  I think the bear is in hanging out in the wildlife preserve and not in the state forest.

Having the office picnic and our anniversary dinner the same week did not help much either - couldn't let good tasting food go waste.  I skipped the cookies and cupcakes at the picnic.  It was 't because I shouldn't have them, I was just too full.  Even skipped dinner that night.   Not looking forward to my checkup with the doctor next week.

I use to run in high school until I beat up my knees - 2 miles in 12 minutes.  Now take the dog out for 2 to 2 1/2 miles in 30-40 minutes (she has to stop and check every fire hydrant and sign posts for the "calling" cards)  She helps keep the pace up going uphill.

Here is a weight suggestion for training.  Use a pack and put bottles of water in it.  If gets too heavy drink some or pour out some to reduce the weight.  Gradually add weight after a couple weeks or so.  That is how we trained to go backpacking in the initial phases to determine our carry-weight capacity about 30 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm over 60, and I'd love to lose 30 lbs and get down to my "fighting weight", but I'm not fighting anymore, so whose kidding who.  I usually lose 10 to 15 lbs during lent cause I give up drinking.  The other 318 days are mine, so I'm not giving that up !  And I love to cook too much.  I throw way to much butter in everything, and besides, it's a basic food group.  Everything I make is in 20 qt pots and either put in frozen containers or given out to family.   I make up too many excuses for not losing the weight, but I'm starting a walking regiment with the wife which is small, only a mile and a half a day, but I'm still in good enough shape to walk 10 to 15 miles at a clip and have done it twice in the last year. If I stepped it up a bit, I know I'd get in shape a lot faster and cut down on the drinking and carbs, yada, yada, yada, but I've just got to learn moderation. 

My oldest boy is getting married next June, so I have to get in shape for that.  If that's the case, better start now during hunting season cause it'll just be harder later on.

• Like 1

I'm kind of a fitness guru so I figured I would chime in.  When I got my first job out of college I was sitting at a desk for 60 hours each week and I would go party at night.  I quickly became overweight and also took up smoking.  I needed to get out of the rut so I signed up for a 5K.  15 years later I have competed in multiple marathons and triathlons including a full Ironman distance (hence the name IronBucks!).  

Lessons I learned:  

1. Keep it simple and keep it fun.  

2. Set specific and attainable goals.  If you are walking a mile now, your goal might be to increase to a mile in a half or to drop your mile time.  

3. Keep adjusting your goals when you hit them and set the bar higher.

4. Exercising is only one part of getting more fit, diet is the other.  You don't have to drop everything at once and go cold turkey!  Ease your way into it by slowly cutting out carbs or slowly start moving from white bread to wheat, etc.  Cut out the late night snack, etc.  My father lost 15 pounds in 2 months by just not eating a row of Oreos before bed.   

5. Don't be afraid to take a day off.   If you are just exhausted from work, sick or you are hurt, you can do more harm than good so take an OCCASIONAL day off. 

6. When you hit your goals, treat yourself to a cheat day on the diet or give yourself some kind of reward. 

7. If you do want to be in better shape for walking with the weight of a gun or a day pack, I would suggest practicing with a pack and having some weight in it.  

8. Mix it up.  Don't just do the daily walking, do something different occasionally...most anything that will get your heart rate up will help to increase your fitness (get your minds out of the gutter).  

9. Drink water while your exersizing.  Most people get muscle cramps and injuries because they are not hydrated.  

Good luck!  Feel free to PM me...

• Like 1

Great topic.

Back in March my weight was approaching 230. When I had my army physical back in 1971 I was 155 lbs. That's 75 lbs difference. I decided I needed to lose some weight and on August 9th I was 199 and later that morning I was rushed to Vassar Hospital because I was having multiple heart attacks and required emergency cardiac stents installed. I am in cardiac rehab now so I will be in shape for Nov 16th.

If I hadn't lost the weight I would not be here.

This movitated me to retire and I thank the Lord each morning that I am able to hunt another deer season.

Warren

Walking is a must for me !!!    Not useless at all.       I sit at a desk all day, then expect to walk 2 miles in the woods loaded down.   I know what's going to happen.   That's why I started walking 5 nights a week, at least 1 mile.   

I went scouting last weekend, 5 miles.  Not one sign of deer.  But I was hurting for 2 days afterwards.   So I'm going to do more scouting this weekend.    This way I'll be a little more ready when I'm walking in opening day.  10 lb pack,   9 lb rifle.   Heavy clothes.    Any incline I'll be huffing and puffing.

P.s.

Walking is useless for weight loss unless you are deliberately carrying a heavy pack and walking inclines.You need to be sweating like a hog to lose weight.

Walking or any cardio Inbetween is ideal for weight loss... What guys think burns fat is hopping on a machine or hitting the street and running hard most of the time and non stop, intact, that's the worse thing you can do! Heart rate is key, ideally between 130-140 bpm will burn the most fat period. If your run ong hard with little care to how your body is handling it then you are just burning muscle and not fat. Usually around 150 or so or higher your introuble if you keep that pace for long. Your body does not burn fat at that rate. I can get on an olyptical and go at a steay pace and melt at 130bpm. When they guy next to me us run ong for his life and can barley breath. I'm 5.7 and last year I went from 185 down to 155. I know what it takes to loose weight while maintaining muscle. I've been doing so 13 years now.

Often the biggest problem for people is diet, knowing what to eat and when. There are many diets out there but they should all start with knowing how the human body works and what it needs...

I was not suggesting that you cut out ALL carbs, just some and at the right times.  Loading up with carbs right before bed it not the best idea if you are trying to drop pounds.  

"Walking is useless for weight loss unless you are deliberately carrying a heavy pack and walking inclines.You need to be sweating like a hog to lose weight with a norm pattern of eating."

I 100% disagree with that (not trying to start a war here).  You have to start somewhere.  Some people will be sweating like a hog just form walking.  If you are just looking to start  a physical fitness program, walking is an excellent start.