First run with the sausage press/kit

Fantail

So I finally got to use the bratwurst/sausage stuffing kit. First go with doing this. Only did 5lb of Italian & 5lb of bratwurst but this gives me plenty for camp this season and a bunch in the freezer. 

Didn't have the luxury of watching & learning from someone who's done this before so I just watched a few clips from youtube and got some process & tying tips. Almost felt a little embarrased not knowing this as a simple skill but there wasn't a need. I know alot of people use ground beef for the fat additive but I used ground pork and did a 70% ground venison to 30% pork mix. That's the easy part as I often grind and mix for burger or pasta dishes. Then there's working with the casings. Honestly it felt like I was playing with tape worms. You have to get past that and knowing your handling hog intestines. Ok, it does get better. 

The kit is a cast unit. It comes with 3 size stuffing tubes and it's designed to be bolted down to a platform. Or, perhaps at least clamped down. I decided to skip that part, that was a mistake. Because your using pressure, new unit the handle was stiff as heck and your processing all this monsence, hands are a bit greasy. I figgured no problem, started at 10:30, guess who was still going at 1 am. 

In the end I wound up with a dish pan full of fresh sausage. Went with keilbasa style links and they look real good. Looking forward to chowing down some of this work.  B)

• Like 6

I made my first batch of sausage last season with a nice doe I took. I used my grinder to stuff the casings which I believe made the process harder than if I had a stuffing press. Hopefully one of these days I will have more space and can buy one. Even with that I can't wait to get back it this season and make some more. 

This year my brother and I did 110 pounds of various brats and sausages a couple weeks later I did 40 pounds more of smoked sticks and summer sausages as well. Second year doing it. I bought a 7 pound stuffer this year that sure helped! It is extra special to enjoy the stuff you put from the hoof into a nice Brat or sausage!!

Also did up 14 pints of canned venison as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Blackradio you get used to it you just have to keep the casing tight to the tube, also feed the meat into the grinder slowly. It really will become much faster than using a press... As a chef I have studded 1000s of lbs and once u get comfortable with the machine it is 10x as fast

• 3 weeks later...