Any luck with a Deer Decoy ?

fasteddie

I set up a Renzo feeding doe decoy on the edge of a field yesterday . Sprayed it down with scent killer . Had 3 doe approach it but stayed back about 50 yards . They blew at it , ran off and came back . I don't think I will try it again . I have had some mixed luck in the past using a MacKenzi target for a decoy .

i bought a Primos scar face buck decoy last year i used it only 2 times does hate it but it caught the intrest of 2 bucks but they were weary about coming in on it maybe cause they were much smaller not sure though. i was gonna use it tonight (if it don't rain)with some light ratteling and grunting. ill let ya know.

I used a MacKenzi 3D target for a decoy several years ago . Had a buck come up to it but my sister in laws horse whinnied and the buck ran off . Uded it on the edge of a woods when the field was grassy rather than overgrown . Two doe spotted it and came to it on a bee line . I shot the larger of the 2 doe at 20 yards . Other times it spooked the deer too .

I used a 3D doe decoy last year at my mother's property . Had it about 20 yards from the stand . A button buck came through the small woods about 5 yards from where I was perched . He didn't stop at the edge of the woods but stepped right into the field without looking . The BB caught a glimpse of the decoy and all 4 hooves left the ground . I was laughing soooo hard that I got busted by a 7 pointer that was following the same trail .

I left the decoy in the back of a vehicle that was parked in the field . When I went down last week , it was gone . The junk in the field had been auctioned off for scrap and they figured it belonged to the property owner . Bummer !

I plan on decoying once this weekend, and will start using it a little more often once my vacation starts on Nov. 4.

To me, I think one rule is not to decoy too often on the same property. I usually use one or a pair (bedded doe), about twice per season (two days of sits) on a particular property. When I first used a decoy about 4-5 years ago (a 3-d target), I used it more than I should have and I watched bucks see the decoy 100+ yards away and turn away, after interacting with it before.

Does will spook often...but they can really draw in a buck when used right.

I also think stand selection is important. Most stands that I decoy in are not hunted when I'm not decoying. Generally they are in places where I know bucks can see if from afar, and where does may not likely be walking by in close proximity.

I will occassionally use the dekes in a field corner, etc. where I may hunt without them at times, but that's usually a make or break hunt (as in, last time I'll be in that stand for the season or for a significant period of time). I've had a few does come out to feed in their normal spot and spook, but do so over a long period of time (5-10 minutes, blowing, stomping, etc.), and I've had less success on the remainder of that hunt when that happens...although once the bucks are roaming, it's all up in the air.

I like hedge rows that jut out into fields and are relatively close to woods, but are not connected, sorta like ( if this makes any sense, ha!):

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I                                  I