Buying property

magnumhunt

When I had my single wide I had 2 poles from the pole on the road and and from ther to the house around 220 feet. 1 pole belonged to the power company the 2 nd. pole was mine. When I built my house I went to underground wires + phone lines. The same distance, the trenchunder, 2" pvc, the elec. cable and hook up was around $1000.00 plus the telephone wire was supplied by the phone company.No problems since and no worries.

I believe what you call saving a couple bucks the law calls insurance fraud.

When your car is stolen in Brooklyn and they see its "garaged" in east bumble fook, good luck.the police report says you live here but we have you live there....or I guess you could lie on the police report too.oh change your DL too ok now where do you vote? Jury duty? What a tangled web we weave.

We all want to save money,we should do it within the law and not post about doing it other ways......

Here's a nice read.

The consequences

Rate evasion fraud is notoriously difficult to discover because American drivers constantly experience life and insurance changes. Every hour, 25,608 vehicles are registered (including 6,402 new vehicles) and 3,453 Americans move to a new residence, according to the Quality Planning Corp. report. In addition, 52 percent of household auto insurance policies undergo vehicle or driver changes every year.

Rather than sink a bunch of resources into rooting out this kind of insurance fraud, some states and insurance companies take a more passive approach in combination with legal penalties. If an insurance consumer lies about a vehicle's parking address, that consumer may simply find his or her insurance policy is essentially worthless when it comes time to file a claim.

All states allow insurance fraud to be punished by a fine or jail time, although some states' penalties are stiffer than others.

Even honest drivers deal with the consequences of rate evasion fraud. Rate evaders aren't paying their fair share -- and that means higher auto insurance premiums for all

Good luck with the camp though.

Edited by Larry302

Hey guys, have a couple of questions in buying property with a small cabin upstate NY.  Ok so the cabin is basically small and a ''seasonal cabin''. I would use it for hunting and weekend get away and stay there in the summer. The cabin does not have any electricity or plumbing, only a sprinkler? Not sure what they meant by that. Does anyone know how much it would cost for electricity? My cousin is an electrician so the little stuff in the cabin im not worried. I called up NYSEG and they told me I need an engineer, but i dont want to buy the property and not being able to have electricity. I dont want to deal with generators, I know of other homes in the area that have power. Also I would like to be able to put my car insurance to save couple bucks. So just a ballpark number to add electricity.

You don't have to have the utility company do it. There are also plenty of private companies that can do it too many times for less. Where county is this cabin in?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a place off of Cat Hollow RD. County Rt. 7  St Rt.206. I use it for fishing, should get up there for deer. PA getting too crowded. Guys from NH got a lease down the road and spend more time on my property in PA. Damn pain in the ass. I spend more time collecting tree stands and calling the PSP on trespassers. Usually us PA Ridge Runners just wait till they go home and burn their cabin down if they won't stop the BS. 

I had the same issue with my cabin in Delaware County. Had no electric or phone. After using a generator to charge the 12 volt battery system for a few years I decided to add electric to the house.

The cabin is accessed by a "right of way" and my neighbor gave me a utility easement for $1.00. I bought a used back hoe and dug a 1/2 mile trench along the shoulder of the dirt road from the nearest transformer to my cabin, then installed direct burial cable and phone line, "phone company gave me the phone cable". Bought the new transformer from NYSEG and they installed it. Saved a ton of money doing it myself. Then sold the back hoe for a few dollars more than I paid for it.     It's nice to flick the light switch on, but kept the gas lights for atmosphere too.

Depends how far off the road or pole the cabin is. My cabin I built in Delaware County is about 200 yards off the road. The Delaware county electric company put in one pole and connected it for free. I dug a trench with direct burial wire the rest of the way. It was a few hundred dollars for the material.

Larry beat me to it but I'm sure were only joking anyway :spiteful: but your cars are supposed to be insured to their primary location. Otherwise its known as rate jumping which is a crime. I'm sure you just said in jest and would never publically advertise trying commit a crime. But something I do believe you will see in the future are less and less Florida license plates here in NYC