Jumping the string?

IronBucks

I'll start this with caveat that I am not new to hunting, but I this is only my second season hunting with the bow and I didn't have the chance to take a shot at anything last year. 

Saturday morning I am walking out into the woods after getting a little bit of a late start (new born at home!!!).  I started into the woods at about 6:45. 

I was about 2 minutes into a 45 minute walk to get to my stand and as I peeked around the edge of a corn field, and I saw a decent 6 standing about 35 yards away.  I ducked back into the corn, pulled an arrow and watched it come a little closer.  I had a shooting lane and it stopped at 25 yards.  It spotted me as I was drawing the bow and we both stood still.  I waited about 30 seconds to see if it would just start eating again, but it didn't.  From there it seemed like it all happened in slow motion.  After about 10 seconds I had a shot lined up and I let it fly. The moment I could see the lighted nock in flight turned its head towards its rear and leaped.  It seemed like it moved a couple of feet while the arrow was still flying.  I could see the nock fly within inches of its neck.  I figured I either grazed it or just missed.  I waited about 15 minutes and walked over. I found my arrow and there were no signs of blood or fur.  

I would think maybe my shot was off if I missed high or low from incorrectly judging distance, but it flew just in front of the deer and I know I could see it moving while the arrow was in flight because of the lighted nock.  

Is this jumping the string phenomenon a real thing?  I thought it was just folklore.  If it is true, is there anything you can do to help silence the noise?  I have a PSE Stinger with mostly stock equipment on it.  

Its real. Happened to me sunday morning on a big spike we have been trying to whack. Ive had em jump the string before but never duck so far down. Looked like someone pulled his legs out from under him.

Can reduce some noise with string silencers.

Edited by TeeBugg

I wasn't aiming at the neck, I was going for a lung shot.  He wasn't perfectly broadside, but more broadside than quartering towards.  

I feel like when the shot went by, his nose was almost even with his hind quarters already and he definitely dropped down before leaping.  He didn't get into a leap before the shot flew by..so it was more that he contorted his body than actually leaped before the shot went by.  

For me shooting a bow that isnt brand new, i went with heavier aluminum arrows, string silencers and i put some limbsavers on the limbs. Seems to be pretty quiet. As stated shooting at an alert deer is tough. Does the deer always win? No. But i like to aim low if they are alert. Either way if i do hit em its still in the sweet spot. That being said i had one duck lower than ive ever seen sunday. Complete miss. It happens, and best to just accept it and move on! Better luck next time!

For me shooting a bow that isnt brand new, i went with heavier aluminum arrows, string silencers and i put some limbsavers on the limbs. Seems to be pretty quiet. As stated shooting at an alert deer is tough. Does the deer always win? No. But i like to aim low if they are alert. Either way if i do hit em its still in the sweet spot. That being said i had one duck lower than ive ever seen sunday. Complete miss. It happens, and best to just accept it and move on! Better luck next time!

DUDE! How many misses are you up to this year?  NOT meant as a shot at you, just curious.

Four. Been a bad start to the season. One i hit a limb, one was a freak of archery, one was sunday am when he ducked and the other i still cant find my arrow. Ive taken myself out of the woods for a few days. My equipment is fine and im fine just not happening like its supposed to. Im not a hack job, i have taken deer. Have one on the wall to prove it. I practice and i dont get target panic. I used to but i overcame it. Just not connecting all the dots.

Edited by TeeBugg

Shooting at an alert deer is asking for trouble IMO, no matter how fast or quiet the bow, the deer will win every time.

every time?

I'm not sure I buy any argument to "aim high" or "aim low" unless you're proficient with one pin and that's how you correct for distance. But to aim "off" because the deer is moving or If you think the deer is going to "jump the string" don't take the shot. Your chances of aiming low and then wounding if he doesn't do not outweigh the chances you correctly judge him ducking.

a little concerned that you "switched to aluminum arrows" too

Edited by Belo

Four. Been a bad start to the season. One i hit a limb, one was a freak of archery, one was sunday am when he ducked and the other i still cant find my arrow. Ive taken myself out of the woods for a few days. My equipment is fine and im fine just not happening like its supposed to. Im not a hack job, i have taken deer. Have one on the wall to prove it. I practice and i dont get target panic. I used to but i overcame it. Just not connecting all the dots.

At least you are getting chances and coming away without wounding them, I would consider as a good year. Well other than connecting, but that will come.

Sorry for going off topic OP.

At least you are getting chances and coming away without wounding them, I would consider as a good year. Well other than connecting, but that will come.

Sorry for going off topic OP.

Thats my only saving grace is i havent wounded any. Had i wounded any i wouldnt be hunting. Im confident in myself....but im honestly wondering about my arrow setup.

Sorry too for going off topic

you should read the rest of my post, and stop quoting yourself. Like I said, I'll post my pics of my deer at the end of the season. You may change your tune on how you judge me as a hunter.

What are you talking about?

You edited your post after I qouted it. Are you going to keep following me around stirring things up?

every time?

I'm not sure I buy any argument to "aim high" or "aim low" unless you're proficient with one pin and that's how you correct for distance. But to aim "off" because the deer is moving or If you think the deer is going to "jump the string" don't take the shot. Your chances of aiming low and then wounding if he doesn't do not outweigh the chances you correctly judge him ducking.

a little concerned that you "switched to aluminum arrows" too

When i got my bow it had carbons with it. I shot them for awhile but ive always used aluminums before. Thats why i said i switched to aluminums. As for aiming high or low...i do shoot one pin. I keep my shots at 25 and under. Never really had to aim high before, but low yes. I dont always think the deer is going to duck but if i can tell from body language that they may be a little skittish, yes ill aim low. Ive only ever wounded one doe that i never found. That was shotgun though.